Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 09:02   #76

Re: Best Reviews on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Myself, I would take any "review" on YouTube with a grain of salt. Let me know if you ever see a review that says, "the boat is crap". We all know there are lots of them but, you won't see that on YouTube.
One of the Ruby Rose reviews was talking about the quality of the interior work on a boat and they did not pull any punches about the bad quality.

But would it be fair, based on interior issues, to damn the whole boat as being crap? It certainly should make one suspect if the visible stuff has quality issues, one better wonder about what one can't see and do some more digging.

However, how does one know by looking at a boat in a boat show, if the "boat is crap?" There are design decisions that are, or should be, obvious. There can be obvious interior quality issues but maybe someone is too picky. As Nick, on Ruby Rose, pointed out about himself...

The Ruby Rose reviews pointed these issues out. They just mentioned it again on one of their recent videos. But how would one know that there are build issues when looking at a boat show? One is really stuck with seeing design choices and obvious quality issues. Knowing how the boat is glued together, laminate schedule, what is under that bulkhead, etc., is not possible at a boat show.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 09:24   #77

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

And actually Ruby Rose crew chartered or were lent 2 different 1260s. Keep in mind it's the off season (winter) down under so things were easier for them. High season might be different.
Old 14-08-2021, 08:34   #78

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

Not a youtube review but pretty interesting stuff. If your interested in a performance cruiser, specifically used...

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...izon/#comments

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...r-the-horizon/

Otherwise, we've obsessed over cat reviews for the past 3-4 years. It all started when we stumbled on the Delos Youtube video's. Purchased an older 46' semi-performance cruiser in '19. Love the lifestyle and decided to upgrade. RR & GTFO reviews were helpful. Megan & Nick were pretty on-point with their review of that 526. Wish we had the budget.

Wife and i looked at the seawinds. Lots to love and wish the 1370 would have been offered with daggars'.
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 15:06   #79

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I’d be trusting a SA review more than a YouTube. At least over there you don’t get away with much bs
Old 17-08-2021, 13:55   #80
lyl

Benny Hill Show.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 09:02   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
And actually Ruby Rose crew chartered or were lent 2 different 1260s. Keep in mind it's the off season (winter) down under so things were easier for them. High season might be different.
That is interesting and explains things. I noticed in the latest Ruby Rose video they went north and are on another Seawind. They said it is a charter.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 11:03   #82

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

https://youtu.be/P1cJKdcBx-s

thought this recent one by the sailing family was interesting. Performance O51 sailing with zatara on their heavier albeit longer full cruise cat.

While not a true review, good data points re-performance under various conditions.
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 13:44   #83

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

I would not venture to tell you which "expert opinions" to look for on YouTube, as I have found practically none of them useful.

What we did find useful was watching the videos on BoatTube. They were not reviews, just tours. By watching these, it gave us a good idea of the various layouts offered by manufacturers, the appearance of the interiors, storage, etc. It gave us a much better idea of what features we liked or didn't care for.

We then backed this up with a bit of research on market pricing, new and used. Once we had it narrowed down a bit, we took the time and went to the Miami boat show so we could do all the touchy feely stuff. We got to tour everything from Lagoon, FP, Leopard, and even a Privilege. This gave us at least some idea of build quality vs. price on new boats anyway. So after all of this, we finally narrowed our options to maybe 3 boats that we liked, suited our purpose and could afford. We started shopping, and as luck would have it, when our boat became available, ( it was on the short list ) we went for a sail and made the decision to purchase.

Long story short ( I know...too late ) listening to someone else's opinion might be good for some, but I have never had the willingness to spend such vast amounts of money because someone else liked something. You have to go see each boat on your list, touch it, feel it, sit on the head, etc. Charter one like it if available to see if you like the way it sails, noise levels underway, comfort, etc. After all of this, you will be as much of an expert than all these YouTubers trying to get a sponsor.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 08:33   #84

Boat: Boatless but working on it

I like the Ruby Rose reviews. Of course they are only an opinion but I believe they are honest. Every boat is a compromise and in the case of the 1260 it is to have the two main bunks raised over the bridge deck to maintain the narrow hulls. No big deal for me.
It looks as though the 1370 is going to be much wider through the hull and will have a lot more boat in the water. It should be interesting to see how this influences its performance.

I watch the RR videos with interest but notice that they get a few things wrong with each boat, as we all do, and we all have different priorities.
The other couple who did multiple cat reviews were not well informed or experienced. They really came down on some models through a point of ignorance. They were looking for a condomaran in a lower price bracket. Not a good base for reviews.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:39   #85

Ruby Rose is doing an in depth review of the 1260. He does mention right away that he is in an arrangement with Seawind. Despite that I think the review is fairly honest because there isn't a lot not to love.
This is part 1, part 2 will be released in about a week I think.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:48   #86

Boat: Lagoon L42

RR cat reviews…..Hahahahaha!!
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 08:15   #87

Part 2 of the RR Seawind 1260 review is up.
Old 28-09-2021, 11:07   #88

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Part 2 of the RR Seawind 1260 review is up.
Oh Boy...... not these two idiots again..........

Check the top of your cabin doors...... that's where the water will damage them............
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 13:32   #89

Boat: Seawind 1370 Hull #40 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
It is completely disingenuous and unethical to accept compensation to review a product and not disclose that fact. It is also extremely dishonest to slag products of competitors without disclosing who was paying you at the time the "reviews" were released.

It should be against the terms of service of the platforms who host those videos but that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

These e-beggars will resort to just about anything to get somebody else to pay for their lifestyles.

I don't think putting in hundreds of hours of work to create content by a Youtube creator is "getting somebody else to pay for their lifestyles." Reality is that for most creators, it is not the money but the shared experience. Youtube has been one of the biggest influencers to get people to the cruising lifestyle and boating and we should all be grateful for it.

A Youtube creator is no different than any other media publication. The amount YouTube pays content creators is very small or zero for 99% of the channels out there.

Fact is that most companies spend tons of money "influencing" not just Youtubers but mainstream media publications at every level. I know this because I write big checks flying journalists out to fancy locations with expensive wine and steak to review our products. I can guarantee you that the majority won't disclose this in their review.
bikekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 13:35   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Oh Boy...... not these two idiots again..........

Check the top of your cabin doors...... that's where the water will damage them............

He specifically mentioned the doors just below sinks and that is where the water will damage them.

Tags
reviews