Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 13:40   #91

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Attaching anchor chain to bridle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
6500lbs is quite a bit of load for anchoring.

I used 10mm climbing line for a snubber for a long time - I'm not sure it's tensile was all that much higher than that (10mm nylon double braid looks to be only 5000lb tensile at NER)

And I might also comment that I have test broken a number of 'Amateur' made soft shackles that came apart before that (primarily knot not set firmly enough and tails cut too short).
No short burys here and my buttons are pretensioned. My shackles are made according to SWL instructions on here. I wasn't implying that 5k lbs was not a lot just that that particular hook looked like it would be stronger than that. Thanks for the other information though, good to know.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 14:02   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ It is just useful to know what sort of functional load you need to hold, and 6k lbs is just a pretty high load on a typical boat. I could deform quite a few 'strong looking' stainless yachting bits on my test bench in the 5-10k lbs range.

For anchoring - PS published these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	load_graph.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	148071

The top two graphs show under 1k lbs at 30-35kts and the bottom graph shows a bit over 2k lbs at 60kts.

I never did as systematic measurements, but those are consistent with what I did measure.

on a slightly different point - I also agree with this comment in the same article " the current crop of anchor tests are telling us that even anchors with less-than-stellar holding power are more than adequate for the typical loads we can expect when anchored."
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 01:39   #93

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
I have been using on of these on a 40 kg anchor and 13 mm chain for past 3 years. It has fallen off the chain once in that time. Probably because I had calculated the low tide height wrong and it and us where both sitting on the bottom.

As the chain comes up over the bow roller it hits the roller and drops down off the chain and the bridle can then pulled aboard.

As it is deployed we ease the bridle out until it is taking the weight of the chain then release.

We have the Osculati hook on our 50' catamaran. The hook fell off the chain almost every time we anchored in shallow water when it laid on the ocean floor. However, it is a strong hook and worked perfectly for us once when it blew in access of 55 knots.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 02:38   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
We have the Osculati hook on our 50' catamaran. The hook fell off the chain almost every time we anchored in shallow water when it laid on the ocean floor. However, it is a strong hook and worked perfectly for us once when it blew in access of 55 knots.
How long are your bridle arms?

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 11:32   #95

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
How long are your bridle arms?
The arms are each around 8.5 meters in length. In shallower water and calm weather we shorten them by tying them off around cleats on the cross beam. The Osculati hook only falls off when it touches the ocean floor.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 20:12   #96

Quote:
The arms are each around 8.5 meters in length. In shallower water and calm weather we shorten them by tying them off around cleats on the cross beam. The Osculati hook only falls off when it touches the ocean floor.
Ok that explains it, ours are 4.5 meters each so needs to be quiet a bit shallower for us to touch bottom with the bridle hook than you.

Old 20-05-2017, 20:15   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I prefer each leg of the bridle to be less than the boat's beam. Any more than that and you get this problem and more swinging at anchor.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 22:37   #98

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
Ok that explains it, ours are 4.5 meters each so needs to be quiet a bit shallower for us to touch bottom with the bridle hook than you.
I would be cautious using bridles that are lot shorter than the beam of your boat. The loads on the individual bridle legs and the force trying to pull your bows/cleats together go up quite quickly. Not a problem in normal conditions, but if the wind gets up, its good to be able to let some more length out on the bridle legs to reduce the stress in the system.

With legs of 4.5m with a 7.5m beam, the load in each individual bridle leg is >90% of the anchor load, and the inward force you are putting on each bow and cleat is >75% of the anchor load.

With legs equal to the beam the load in each leg is <60% of the anchor force and the inward force on the bows and cleats is <30% of the anchor force. If you go to 1.5 x beam, the respective loads are 53% and 18%.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 23:18   #99

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
In my experience it's not what hook you use but how big of a loop of slack chain you let out behind it. It's that weight that keeps it on.

Exactly. I use a Home Depot chain hook. It never falls off, but you must have weight in the loop, so that if your chain goes slack, there is still weight on the hook.

In addition, in shallow water, make sure your snubber can not touch bottom.

Richard on Dauntless
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 00:20   #100

[QUOTE=mark_morwood;2397041]I would be cautious using bridles that are lot shorter than the beam of your boat. The loads on the individual bridle legs and the force trying to pull your bows/cleats together go up quite quickly. Not a problem in normal conditions, but if the wind gets up, its good to be able to let some more length out on the bridle legs to reduce the stress in the system.

With legs of 4.5m with a 7.5m beam, the load in each individual bridle leg is >90% of the anchor load, and the inward force you are putting on each bow and cleat is >75% of the anchor load.

Mark do not make the mistake of using a vessels Beam to calculate the bridle length unless the attachment points are at the widest point of the hull.

In my case
Beam = 7.9 meters
Bridle Length = 4.5 meters
Distance between Bridle attachment points = 4.5 meters.

The attachment points on my vessel are very large eye bolt attached to each end plate of the cross beam. Any inward force would place the cross beam under compression, which would be it's strongest load bearing direction.

So from your figures

"With legs equal to the (separation between the legs) the load in each leg is <60% of the anchor force and the inward force on the bows and cleats is <30% of the anchor force."

Which sounds about right to me .

Old 21-05-2017, 00:48   #101

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Good point. Sorry to not be clearer. As you point out, it is the distance between the mounting points/cleats that matter. I'm used to a boat with narrower hulls and using the common mooring/docking cleats which tend to be towards the outside of the hull so the beam was a good approximation to the distance between the cleats (+/- a meter or so).

Also to be clear, I was really just suggesting a caution for when the wind/loads were high. There are circumstances where we would happily use shorter bridle legs, e.g. on a mooring to make sure the mooring ball didn't hit the inside of the hulls, or because of limited swinging room.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 01:45   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
The large eye is for the bridle retrieval line.
Thank you.

I think I might be trying to read more into this hook than there actually is.

For instance, I'm trying to fnd a reason why that eye is so un-necessarily large, and the 'U' shape at the bottom seems to lend itself to a tripping line.
Nomadscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:31   #103

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I too have one of these. Hate it. It's strong as hell, but I find it very difficult to get on the chain. No chance if there is any tension. It's big and awkward, and will fall off until it's tensioned, so there is the risk of it coming off when the bridle first hits the water.

Goes without saying, this think shouldn't be anywhere near the bow roller.

Defiantly want an alternative.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 13:51   #104

Boat: X-Yachts, X-512, 51.2

Always used the rolling Hitch, bad experiences with a lot of different hooks
stevenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:37   #105

Boat: Hanse 348

Anyone have any experience with this from Kong products

Chain Gripper | KONG USA

It has a pin, so you can't lose this and it won't slip with the pin in it. I purchased a manta shackle with their ingenious method of slipping it on, but the thing is huge. This looks very small and seems easy to use...
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bridle