Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 03:30   #931
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
If it was me, and i think boaty would be thinking the same...I woulld be thinking...
"what the hell!!???Ive been drifting at 1knot for a week, at this rate Horta is 3 days drift IF conditions don't deteriorate...I paid $300 for a f&%&%kn spot ....AND posted a thread on *^&^$ CF .so those #%## could follow my progress....Where the hell is my tow! The thread must have slipped off the bottom of the page...
B^$$ST&^RDS!!!!"

NB Palarran...as far as the what went wrong poll...I'm going for 'wrong anchor'
hillarious ....
Old 16-03-2014, 03:41   #932
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Not sure that I noticed anyone suggesting that the owner controls the boat, only the that owner decides whether or not to send out a tow.
You are of course correct, no one has made such a claim on this thread. I was posting in relation to a more general or wider sense in the modern community.

My apologies for causing any confusion.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-03-2014, 03:45   #933
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
JP under way with phils latest position,and rate of drift.
phil,doing less than a knot now, he only made 7 miles in the last 12hrs in a NE direction.

weather is calm ,visibility is good,jp is making 6.5 knots to last known position.
fingers crossed he should be in the search area about 3.30 utc,or 9hours time

Well done matey!

And fingers will be kept crossed until advised by you that we can uncross 'em
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-03-2014, 06:52   #934

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

It will be interesting to see if Phil accepts the tow, my gut feel is that he will not.

I can foresee a downturn in the relationship between Phil & the owner after all this which will be largely influenced as well by the overall condition of the boat.
Old 16-03-2014, 06:58   #935
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I suppose your right. I just looked closer and he went 1nm in 40 minutes. It would still take quite a long time to get in.

Ann, I really like your posts and thought processes. But on your last post it sounded kind of egotistical. I mean, times change and as they do we adapt to the tools that are available to use. Do you think the old schooner Captains looked at the new fangled sailboats with motors and fancy instruments and thought the same thing? And do you think the Polynesians looked at the schooners with compasses and thought the same thing?

Without a doubt Boatman can make it and I'm sure no one questions that. But if your charging by the day and it's going to take 5 more days at ? rate, what is it worth to get in earlier. And what is it worth for the owner to insure your crew gets in without any more damage to your boat. It would sure be worth a few bucks to me.
No adamant opinion here... not trying to start an anchor debate... Just a funny, and relevant point.... Yes... I do think there have been/are others... Specifically look at Slocum... His disdain for the steamer was so great that he refused to change with the times... The course of his life was affected dramatically by his attitude... Good or bad !

Quote:
now that is the $1000 dollar question,perhaps a vote is in order.

JP has the owners permission to provide assistance,or fuel but will envolve a fee,and boatys pride.
advice please!
(redacted+answer known)
Alex, fantastic position to get the group concencus ... action lauded...

Quote:
at the moment every thing is in place,but i am inclined to put a hold on things for 36 hours,so as not to incurr unessacary expense.
plus phil is likely to refuse a tow untill within spitting distance.
He still could... But I likely think he wouldn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I think the decision was made once you explained the situation to the owner. It's his vessel and his call now.

Don't 2nd guess yourself. Your instincts are good.
THIS IS THE BEST POINT... and ended up being the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
I took that filter out and just let the pretentions flow out the through-hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
The waste discharge through-hull.
PERFECT you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post

late to the party here. Good on ya Atoll for facilitating a tow. Many successful passages have started/ended with a tow.

always good to learn from others experience, we'll learn the circumstances soon enough....
Hey cheoah! Missed ya.... point agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just to expand on this a little.
In the past, Phil has always insisted prior to taking on the job, he (and only him) will be the one making the decisions while underway.

If he needs a tow, he will accept it, if he doesn't, he will reject it. If he needs partial assistance, he will accept that but whatever the situation, he will be the one calling the shots until the job is completed (or he relieved of the command - highly unlikely).

As previously posted, he will be grateful that the owner cares
AS noted many times... this is the case... said well here!!!

Quote:
JP under way with phils latest position,and rate of drift.
phil,doing less than a knot now, he only made 7 miles in the last 12hrs in a NE direction.

weather is calm ,visibility is good,jp is making 6.5 knots to last known position.
fingers crossed he should be in the search area about 3.30 utc,or 9hours time
A decision has been made and it was the owners! Great job with everything Alex... EVEN the second guessing, indecision, and opinion requests... Your true character has been unveiled... and the crowd applauds!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 16-03-2014, 07:14   #936
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

just an interesting tidbit re traffic in the area...

Last night while waiting in the car for a second I checked AIS on my phone... It looked like there was a container NE of the island on course ESE.... Looked like it was headed right for Phil's (guessed by me) position...

No way to verify as the AIS app I was using was crap... and I was using an itty bitty phone...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 16-03-2014, 07:24   #937
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Atoll I hope you are watching my spot next May as I hopefully cross on the same route. Your action was one of a professional. Saving assets. Boatman will glad to know you were behind him. I recall one of his post regarding a wave which took I believe three young lives. He was I believe distraught as to not being able to help.
Old 16-03-2014, 07:32   #938

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post

I can foresee a downturn in the relationship between Phil & the owner after all this which will be largely influenced as well by the overall condition of the boat.
I certainly hope not. Perhaps a little reminder of the Alpha 42 is in order. Stuff breaks, not just for the owner. Boatman has done a fine job getting the boat in a position where assistance is reasonable. He didnt hitch a ride leaving the boat to float as it wished. I hope the owner counts his blessings.

I feel like he will just by his reactions to the situation so far. He sent costly assistance earlier than he really needed to, even after atoll told him boaty could get it much closer with an extra day. That sounds like an owner who wants his boat AND crew in safely.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-03-2014, 07:35   #939

anyone remember this __Re: "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry "Another boat drifting.. gonna have to get a little boat and get out there between the UK and Azores come April... be some pickings to be had.. if I can find em..
Glad everyone's okay.." boatman61
Old 16-03-2014, 07:39   #940
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
No adamant opinion here... not trying to start an anchor debate... Just a funny, and relevant point.... Yes... I do think there have been/are others... Specifically look at Slocum... His disdain for the steamer was so great that he refused to change with the times... The course of his life was affected dramatically by his attitude... Good or bad !

(redacted+answer known)
Alex, fantastic position to get the group concencus ... action lauded...

He still could... But I likely think he wouldn't...

THIS IS THE BEST POINT... and ended up being the answer!

PERFECT you two!

Hey cheoah! Missed ya.... point agreed!

AS noted many times... this is the case... said well here!!!

A decision has been made and it was the owners! Great job with everything Alex... EVEN the second guessing, indecision, and opinion requests... Your true character has been unveiled... and the crowd applauds!
Happy, I like your style.

I think your positive attitude will serve you well during your crossing, especially when everything breaks.
Old 16-03-2014, 07:44   #941

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I certainly hope not. Perhaps a little reminder of the Alpha 42 is in order. Stuff breaks, not just for the owner. Boatman has done a fine job getting the boat in a position where assistance is reasonable. He didnt hitch a ride leaving the boat to float as it wished. I hope the owner counts his blessings.

I feel like he will just by his reactions to the situation so far. He sent costly assistance earlier than he really needed to, even after atoll told him boaty could get it much closer with an extra day. That sounds like an owner who wants his boat AND crew in safely.

Time will tell won't it? When everyone gets to know the full story and precise details of the condition of the boat I'm sure that there will be some valuable lessons in there for everyone.

It will also be interesting to hear if Boatie, with the benefit of hindsight, would do anything differently if he was now restarting the delivery.
Old 16-03-2014, 07:50   #942

This thread has been interesting to read. It will be good to hear from boaty when he finally gets to land an checks in here.

I am very unimpressed by Spot. The web tracking site is terrible It might be good for the safety aspects that it offers, but the way you don't get any course and speed information and that you see only the last 50 positions and not the whole journey is bad.

For family, friends and forum stalkers watching from the comfort of home, the yellowbrick tracker is much better and as it is iridium, the coverage is global.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:04   #943
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

My prediction:

Boaty will refuse the tow.
The wind will pick up.
JP and Boaty will have a race to port!!!!

Any bets on winner?

Old 16-03-2014, 08:12   #944

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
My prediction:

Boaty will refuse the tow.
The wind will pick up.
JP and Boaty will have a race to port!!!!

Any bets on winner?

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts on JP! That cat is hurt.

Old 16-03-2014, 08:22   #945

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Not sure why the fuss? This is a delivery. There is a desire on the part of the owner to have his vessel in Spain, presumably for charter service during the upcoming season.. Why else the March delivery? Boatman was willing and demonstrably able to take the vessel and make the crossing. A captain on the sea or in the air working for pay pit's the equipment and his skill against Mother Nature. Frequently Mother Nature extracts a price and things don't go as planned. Boatman is in the act of diverting to an alternate destination after weather and equipment failure rendered the first plan unwise/unfeasable. He will almost certainly accept the tow in order to expedite the completion of his job. It is already a job well done. He may however think twice about repeating the task in a Lagoon, in March.

Good on ya Boatman! Get to port, fix the cat, finish the delivery... Get some rest on the beach, then back to work.
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery