Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 14:08   #856

Re: Atlantic Delivery

Anyone notice the last two SPOT reports? Looks like Boaty (thanks to likely tow in place) is headed in exactly the right direction and at the exact expected speed to land at Horta! WoooooooT!

(Palaran - you beat me by two minutes, but our hypothesis is different. Will look forward to the outcome too!)
Old 15-03-2014, 14:10   #857
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You may want to put the rescue on hold, he has turned and is making a bee line for Horta. I don't know the speed but it sure looks good.
Doubt if the tow got there. Knowing help is on the way he may be burning his emergency reserve fuel to shorten the distance overnight.

Either way this is going to be a helluva story. Just hope all onboard are safe.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 15-03-2014, 14:18   #858
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

It looks like he has gone about 10nm in 8 hours, the same snail pace. Just a change in direction.
Old 15-03-2014, 14:23   #859

The only thing missing from this thread is a way to place wagers
Old 15-03-2014, 14:30   #860

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Come on folks! when the tow gets to Boatie he can still refuse the tow so it will be his choice in the end !! Always is the captains choice! Owner be damed LOL
Old 15-03-2014, 15:13   #861

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There's a thread that runs through k42ja, Boatie's, and my posts, and it may be that as previously suggested, having got our training when rescue services were few and far between, we simply don't think in terms of others bailing us out if we get in trouble. Or, it could also be that some folks have a higher independence index than others, and are drawn towards activities in which they can exercise it. Dunno.

I agree with Salty Monkey in this case, that Boatie will be planning on nursing in his injured craft. It's not pride. It is competence.

Good 'cess to you, Boatie.

Ann
Old 15-03-2014, 15:32   #862
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i know phil and he probably wouldnt activate his epirb untill he can see the breakers!
Absolutely concur. Even if no EPRIB on board, he (& we) know he has the spot emergency option. He would only use that if death (his, crew or vessel) was imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
It was Boatman's choice to bring the Spot on board and notify the forum of that fact, so he has to accept the consequences. If he doesn't like what has transpired on this forum (i.e., support, well wishes, cheers, concern and possibly assistance), and there is always a chance he may not like it, that is his problem.

Go Boatman!
The last (only) time CF rallied together when Phil was down and out, he was very moved by the support he received. He may be a little embarrassed about it happening a second time even though the circumstances are completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
There's a thread that runs through k42ja, Boatie's, and my posts, and it may be that as previously suggested, having got our training when rescue services were few and far between, we simply don't think in terms of others bailing us out if we get in trouble. Or, it could also be that some folks have a higher independence index than others, and are drawn towards activities in which they can exercise it. Dunno.

I agree with Salty Monkey in this case, that Boatie will be planning on nursing in his injured craft. It's not pride. It is competence.

Good 'cess to you, Boatie.

Ann
Also concur and I reckon both conditions apply to Boatie (early training & high independence)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-03-2014, 15:39   #863
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
It looks like he has gone about 10nm in 8 hours, the same snail pace. Just a change in direction.
I suppose your right. I just looked closer and he went 1nm in 40 minutes. It would still take quite a long time to get in.

Ann, I really like your posts and thought processes. But on your last post it sounded kind of egotistical. I mean, times change and as they do we adapt to the tools that are available to use. Do you think the old schooner Captains looked at the new fangled sailboats with motors and fancy instruments and thought the same thing? And do you think the Polynesians looked at the schooners with compasses and thought the same thing?

Without a doubt Boatman can make it and I'm sure no one questions that. But if your charging by the day and it's going to take 5 more days at ? rate, what is it worth to get in earlier. And what is it worth for the owner to insure your crew gets in without any more damage to your boat. It would sure be worth a few bucks to me.
Old 15-03-2014, 16:00   #864

I suppose the difference can be expressed as 'rescue' or 'assist'.

Surely, there are some who launch with no other course but direct to the accident scene yet there are many more who go fully prepared, including the knowledge of what to do when/if. Boatman is firmly in the latter category.
Old 15-03-2014, 16:20   #865

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but it seems that he's turning SPOT on roughly for an hour every 12 hours. I'm guessing to conserve batteries.

If this behavior continues, there won't be another update for about 10 hrs and the folks doing the towing will need to extrapolate the location.
Old 15-03-2014, 16:43   #866

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

This is incredible. I have learned so much here following Boatman's journey with all of the experienced, well wishers and noobs all giving valuable information and heartfelt concern.

@Boatman...You are you're own entity and you are now famous(if ya weren't already), please don't let it go to your head, but I'd bow down to ya if I could.

@SaltyMonkey.....Love the poems; I about fell out of my boat on the last one!

@Atoll....Good call.

@Wotname...Without saying, you have done great things for Boatman and you will always get my golf clap.

It took me over an hour to catch up on things here and I am overjoyed with a damn good feeling in me instilled by all of you. I must say this is a viral thread and it should be edited down to all the pertinent knowledge, links, opinions, guesses, bets and forcasts as there is some classic stuff here.

Go Boatman, go.....git yourself RIPPED, but take a shower(with soap)...hehehehehe!

Epic....

Markus
Old 15-03-2014, 16:45   #867
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You may want to put the rescue on hold, he has turned and is making a bee line for Horta. I don't know the speed but it sure looks good.

He's 71 miles away now.

now that is the $1000 dollar question,perhaps a vote is in order.

currently he is making just over 1 knot in the right direction,leaving him 70 hours sailing.

the weather is calm for the next 72 hours so no danger there,apart from having no nav lights and tidal currents once he approches horta

JP has the owners permission to provide assistance,or fuel but will envolve a fee,and boatys pride.

JP intends leaving 6am tomorrow so as to find "bonne etoile" during daylight hours.

JP has a sattelite phone so i can give him the updated position whilst underway.

question is do we go tommorow,or let him sit another 36-48 hours till closer then assist,or just sit and watch

advice please!
Old 15-03-2014, 16:48   #868

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Palarran,

It was not meant egotistically, but I apologize if what I wrote offended you. As to what Cook would have done had their been GPS (admittedly my extrapolation of your suggestion), I bet he'd have used whatever came to hand. But not all people continue that way, only most of them. For example, consider the Amish.

I did not mean "the old ways are best".

I do mean that people continue to do what they are familiar with and if that has worked for 60 yrs. or so, then they may see downsides [to spending money on stuff they think they don't need] that are invisible to people who as children had mobile phones. On that hypothesis, I suggest that Boatie will have a mixture of ancient and modern devices on board.

Ann
Old 15-03-2014, 17:00   #869

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

If they have small airplane charters in Horta, I'd do a 2 hr charter to fly out and take a look. They might have a handheld VHF on the boat that still has batteries, so I'd have two VHF radios on the airplane. One that was waterproof and tied to a float that could be dropped.

For not that much $ ($100/hr) it would let me see if there was an emergency or an inconvenience. It would also give Boatie a chance to tell me to "buzz off" if that was his feeling.
Old 15-03-2014, 17:02   #870
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
question is do we go tommorow,or let him sit another 36-48 hours till closer then assist,or just sit and watch

advice please!
Patience is the best option.

Q: If he didn't have that SPOT or wasn't so kind to allow us into his SPOT world, what would we have done if he gave the Securitai' and we knew he did?

PS: Not to undermine the situation
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery