Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2016, 15:38   #76

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Atlantic 57 Catamaran Capsized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
There will always be idiots that gloat when a catamaran capsizes and use it to confirm their bias but the reality is the quoted post here by Franziska is right on the money.

If you're going to buy the latest 1299 Ducati Superlegerra you better know that the throttle goes both ways. Some people get that, some people don't. If you don't, don't buy one

I'd love one of these myself.

Yes I agree, not properly a cruising or voyage motorcycle, but great on track days with someone that can handle the power.

But that was not a cruising cat?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:46   #77

According to all the multi hull fans on these boards, such a thing can not happen; thus it did not happen.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 16:01   #78

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
According to all the multi hull fans on these boards, such a thing can not happen; thus it did not happen.
Completely uncalled for provocation. Just stop, alright.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 16:19   #79
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Completely uncalled for provocation. Just stop, alright.
+1

Thankfully 98% of the forum realizes comments like these are made by ignorant members, whether from their arm chair or wheel chair.
Old 20-11-2016, 16:41   #80
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
SMJ, send me a pm and we'll set up some kind of help. I would TRULY like to see you a bit happier.

Thanks for your concern, but at this point in time I'm truly happy as we are on an extended trip on our boat. If your still concerned please send me a pm. At this point I have all the time in the world and if I find your pm interesting I might even reply. Otherwise you could always take it up with the mods. May you have a happy Thanksgiving!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 17:13   #81

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
+1

Thankfully 98% of the forum realizes comments like these are made by ignorant members, whether from their arm chair or wheel chair.
Clever! And good as well.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:04   #82

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

I love everybody on Cruisers Forum 🐢
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:59   #83

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
You may well be correct.

It is advertised as a cruiser suitable for a couple or single handing.

I wonder whether its another case of the "warm, comfy, enclosed wheel house
syndrome" where one is divorced from the elements and can't react quickly enough to a catamarans "achilles heel" , the sudden unexpected increase in wind strength. ?

Time will tell.
Never heard anyone flip as a result of a warm Comfy wheel house, does that happen alot in Australia? As for the cw in traverse bay, a lot of speculation on what really went down and why and no proof.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 19:19   #84
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Never heard anyone flip as a result of a warm Comfy wheel house, does that happen alot in Australia? As for the cw in traverse bay, a lot of speculation on what really went down and why and no proof.
Actually that is exactly what happened to the CW that flipped in the Pacific. Look it up.
Old 20-11-2016, 21:11   #85

Boat: 38' Crowther Windspeed

As far as I can see there are a few reasons a cruising cat can get into trouble during a delivery, (1) The delivery crew are used to monohulls, (2) The delivery crew are attempting to get the delivery over as soon as possible or worse a combination of 1 & 2. Just about any decent cruising multihull can be sailed over if pushed hard enough (this does not include the various French caravans) it is up to the skipper to decide when enough is enough and unfortunately it is humane nature to push someone else's vessel a lot harder than your own. There was a Chris White (A57?) racing in the Hamilton Island Series here (Australia) and I saw no indications of problems even though it was being pushed hard. (3) A boat will go in the direction an autopilot tells it to but sailing involves a little more than that even if some people don't seem to think so. I'm sure that we will find that this accident was caused by humane error or misjudgment and look forward to the explanation.
Kinta Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 21:53   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes I agree, not properly a cruising or voyage motorcycle, but great on track days with someone that can handle the power.

But that was not a cruising cat?
I used to own a 916 which I reckon is nearly as quick as a superlegerra (in theory - I havent ridden a legerra), but certainly the 916 was bloody fast, and yet I toured on it for thousands of kilometres travelling to Superbike races carrying tents and cooking gear. Indeed given some of the legerra spec I think it would actually be easier to ride quicker than the 916 .

You can tour on any bike, You can cruise on any boat, you can crash and bike you can crash any boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati 916 94  1.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	136559  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 22:53   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinta Ray View Post
. There was a Chris White (A57?) racing in the Hamilton Island Series here (Australia) and I saw no indications of problems even though it was being pushed hard. .
Kinta ray, if you are referring to this years series then it wasn't a A57 but an A47 Peccadillo?

I'm not sure it was pushed hard as it came last over the line or close to it in every race. Even the much smaller Pescott cruiser gave it a whopping.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 00:34   #88
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I used to own a 916 which I reckon is nearly as quick as a superlegerra (in theory - I havent ridden a legerra),
The Superleggera is in another league compared to the 916 in terms of performance. It's more than double the power at 215hp (yeah, I know!) and somewhere in the region of 40kgs lighter. Nuts! See the spec here:

Ducati 1299 Superleggera | 215hp | Carbon everything | MCNews.com.au

Quote:
but certainly the 916 was bloody fast, and yet I toured on it for thousands of kilometres travelling to Superbike races carrying tents and cooking gear. Indeed given some of the legerra spec I think it would actually be easier to ride quicker than the 916 .

You can tour on any bike, You can cruise on any boat, you can crash and bike you can crash any boat
I agree with this, especially the bold bit. I owned a 996 and commuted on it from Twickenham in West London through to the city every day, all year round. I rode it all over England and did track days on it as well. I've also owned a 998R.

Performance boats need to be sailed prudently.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 01:00   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post

Performance boats need to be sailed prudently.
Yes , but how does one accomplish this in reality?

Does one hand hold the sheet tails? Does one come out of the hermetically sealed cabin and experience the elements and feel the first cool breath of an approaching down draft?

Does one stand by the wheel ready to bear off in that first big puff?

Well if the answer is yes then how on earth does one accomplish this with very small crew. A couple would effectively be taking turns to single hand a 57 footer standing in the elements , highly alert for 24 hours a day.

So the reality is then to be safe you reef right down and slop around going no where fast, or crank up the donks and motor.

The whole concept of a large performance cruising sailing catamaran for a couple then appears totally bizarre
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 01:22   #90

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Simple answer. The smaller the crew the earlier you reef. Especially when under autopilot.

Tags
capsize, leopard, size