Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 15:21   #91

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
A nice little compact design is the JArcat Coral Coast 29. It is a good little cruiser and full bridge deck , with some interesting ways of keeping the windage reduced, and if kept light goes reasonably well.
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 16:18   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
The answer to the original question is simple, given a good and safe yacht , both cats and monohulls from 40 ft and up are good long passage makers, it is not the baot that is capable of doing this , it is about the crew and can they handle the situation, I have sailed around 300000 Nm in my life most with monohulls and the last 20 years mostly cats and have not ever been in a situation where the boat could not handle it. the crew is a different story ranging from seasickness to making the wrong decisions over and over again.
The most commom mistake that bring boats and crew into danger is putting in reefs,
do not wait until the weather hits you if you where to carefull all you do is letting a reef out.
Sail safe and all 40 ft and up cats and mono,s sail well .
I prefer the cats because of the comfort, space and speed .
Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 13:35   #93

I noticed that "Fallado" sailed through the Queen's birthday storm in 1994 without incident.

Fallado's Circumnavigation
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 19:02   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post

Even partial open wing tris would have as much cabin room as I’m used to and the accommodation placement wouldn’t offend my naiveté… cat’s in the high 20s to mid 30s, on the other hand, would simply have to have an open cockpit (with split accommodations) to satisfy my inexperienced eye… again, certainly no big reach – just a center-cockpit athwart-ships rather than along the keel… but I guess it’s as much that I’ve had a soft spot in my heart for Marple’s CC work for some time… Don’t know if it is or not, but Marple’s minimalist CC 30 looks quite reminiscent of Mike McMullen’s last tri; Three Cheers (wasn’t that a Newick design…??). The venture admittedly meet with an ill-fated end, but doubt it had anything to do with the vessel… was modestly well read on multis back then, but after that episode my interest faded until recent curiosity…
The CC 30 looks very similar to a Newick Val design. It sounds like you are looking at something around 30 feet or less and maybe at this size a trimaran may be the better option. If you want to talk more about trimarans send me a private message or we could start a new thread so we don't hijack the cat thread.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:10   #95

Re: Are Cats truly bluewater/long passage capable?

As an aspiring boat sailboat owner (never sailed before). I think it would help to hear from people who have gone from mono to cats or vice-versa. Seems to me that cats are gaining popularity and many people are switching to cats.
Alexd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:55   #96

Impressive! First post on a thread almost 9 years old. [emoji41]
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 13:53   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexd83 View Post
As an aspiring boat sailboat owner (never sailed before). I think it would help to hear from people who have gone from mono to cats or vice-versa. Seems to me that cats are gaining popularity and many people are switching to cats.

We switched to a cat' and are happy with our choice. Most people who make the switch are happy, a few may not be.

John McEnroe
Old 19-01-2017, 15:34   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Impressive! First post on a thread almost 9 years old. [emoji41]
And on a "hot button" topic that has generated countless arguments on numerous threads on CF.

What's that smell, could it be a tr..... ?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 16:07   #99
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
We currently own:

Tri - Corsair Sprint 750 (24')
Catamaran - A-Class (pure racing boat like a Hobie on steroids) (18')
Monohull -Beneteau 381 (38.1')

Different boats for different purposes and I like them all. Though in retrospect I wish we had bought a cat instead of the 381.

The Tri is the easiest to sail tolerates mistakes the best, and is easily the best for my mom who has mobility problems.

The Cat is a whole different breed than anything that might be called a cruiser by anyone. But it is the fastest of the bunch by far (24kn top speed, 14.5 upwind). This is the boat that gave Catamarans a reputation for flipping over. If you stand up on the transom (ok you actually can't stand up on it, but if you sit on the transom) it will flip over backwards. If you sit on the low side it will flip over, heck if you move two inches for and aft you change the trim by six inches.

The Beneteau.... it's a boat, blaring to sail, but the price was right ha she AC, and will comfortably carry two couples for a weekend.

Given the budget, for cruising I would buy a big trimaran, followed by a less big Catamaran, followed by bigger monohull. I would also rate their safety in that order. With the caviat that a big tri should only be sailed by experienced sailors, and must be sailed very conservatively all the time, except when you actively choose not too.

In terms of absolute safety (keeping you alive in a storm) a big cat is always going to Ben better than a monohull the same size. Because the wave size needed to roll a boat, of whatever design is a function of the beam, the wider the boat the harder it is to flip. So a monohull will always flip sooner than a multihull.

And while it's true that a monohull might come back to verticle, practically if one is rolled over she is far more likely to sink. A cat will float upside down and continue to act as a massive life raft long after the monohull is sitting upright on the bottom.

A big tri is even wider than the cat, but has real limitations, like the accommodations are going to be tinny compared to a catamaran the same size, like 1/2 the size. So to move to a tri you need to go much longer for the same living space.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 16:08   #100

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
In case it isn't a troll....Google is your friend.
Catamaran Impi Circumnavigating
Catamaran Cheeky Monkey Circumnavigating
Gone With the Wynns, just getting started
Lots and lots of others.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 22:22   #101

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

I can smell troll
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:22   #102

I know it's an old thread, but I'm new. I can't believe someone had the balls to call maxingout and 44CC "armchair sailors"
Old 20-01-2017, 12:04   #103

Can't speak for maxingout, but we don't even have armchairs on our boat. "lounge sailor" maybe.

However "boatless again" might have an armchair....

John McEnroe