Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2008, 14:42   #16

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want to sail View Post
Hi I'm new to posting but have been surfing the forum for months. My husband and I are researching buying a Cat to retire and costal cruise. Came across this 2007 Multihaven Catamaran for $99,000 and question What's up? I read the earlier posts here and would lilke additional information. We are obviously not experienced enough to notice many of the things in this boat that have been mentioned. Any input would be appreciated.
Really
Want to sail
There are some well built ones and some lemons. Because of the reputation of the badly built ones, there is a reasonable chance that if you find one of the better built ones you are getting a bargain. Don't expect scintillating sailing. Check it out very carefully
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 15:03   #17

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
what is wrong with miss b haven i think it looks ok i know the first chinese one delivered was rough and i no that the owners of the bussiness regret showing her at the boat show but get of there back mistakes were made and they have fixed them from what i read it was a lack of proper supervision/compertant workers combined with damage from delivery .these guys were trying to deliver a good crusing cat to the average bloke at an affordable price whats wrong with that like i said before mistakes were made now there fixed get of there back...........
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 15:38   #18

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
Does anyone know any thing about Multihaven yachts?
If the reason you're asking is because of the one on YachtWorld.com listed for $99K, make sure you read the fine print on the listing. The boat has no holding tanks and it's powered by gasoline outboards. If that's OK with you, great! Just thought you should know if didn't see it. (I didn't see it until recently, even though the boat has been on the market for months, originally priced at about $200k, as I recall.)
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 15:53   #19

do they still make them i thought it went belly up. i think the one for 99k also has no been wired for elec power or somthing like that. it would make a nice house boat take the mast down and hook a water hose up to it and wala house boat. oh and cut a hole in the bottom for a out house like u said no holding tanks.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 17:16   #20

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Why is this boat so cheap?

Thank Guys, good information. Just like everyone else we are looking for a deal. Since she falls into our price range I am in charge of research. Husband is retired and the mechanic and carpenter. Noticed the lack of holding tanks and figured that was a fixable problem for the price. Did not like gas instead of diesel and haven't even looked into the wiring issue yet.
We are also looking at a Voyage Ladigue 370 and a Crowther. This forum is GREAT and soooo helpful to those of us who have been bitten by the sailing bug but are infants in knowledge.

Still considerating if we should make the trip to check this one out. I would feel a lot better if it wern't so new and had someone more experienced already shaken out the bugs she is bound to have.

Want to sail
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 20:29   #21

Multihaven

Original design had two gas outboards with a saltwater lifting cylinder in each stern. The one pictured is one of the original design boats. New design by the Chinese Nautic Star company changed the stern area and added some steps in a partial scoop stern. Not sure what the Chinese did for aux power. A few boats were made with the original mold before they were modified. The CHinese looks a bit more rounded and little better appearance. Need to get a good surveyor and test sail if interested. Sure it floats, just is it worth the money and potential of other problems in the future. You, know,... "the money pit".

JT
jjtctaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 05:50   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want to sail View Post
Hi I'm new to posting but have been surfing the forum for months. My husband and I are researching buying a Cat to retire and costal cruise. Came across this 2007 Multihaven Catamaran for $99,000 and question What's up? I read the earlier posts here and would lilke additional information. We are obviously not experienced enough to notice many of the things in this boat that have been mentioned. Any input would be appreciated.
Really
Want to sail
Hi "Want to sail",

Personally I can get past some of the cosmetic issues with Multihhaven but it is the underlying concerns that are mentioned that need very careful inspection and evaluation. i.e. design, construction and weight.

Based on your comments, it seems as though you may be new to sailing. In regards to any boat you plan to purchase a good surveyor will more than pay for themselves. So while you are looking for a boat look for a good surveyor just as dilligently, if not more so. In the end that is going to be the best protection for you when making this large an investment.

Pat
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 16:23   #23

Thanks again All Good advice.! Yes we are new to sailing and one peice of advice from this forum that I have taken to heart is Research, Research, Research. We definately will not purchase without a good survey. What is the criteria used to determine the quality of a surveyer. i know better than to use the buyer or broker's surveyor. but how do I know if the surveyor I contact is any good? Is there any rating organization or list? I have no contacts up north and don't want to pick a lemon of a surveyor and end up with a lemon of boat. I tend to be coutious by nature and that may cost me a good deal. But better that than an unsafe money pit.
Want to sail
Old 17-11-2008, 17:06   #24

Just found furher info on this boat on a different thead on this forum.( under dollar and cents) the list of conditions to question made me decide I will pass on this boat and continue my search.
Want to sail
Old 20-11-2008, 18:06   #25

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Good idea to pass on this boat. I did see the first chinese boat at the Sanctury Cove boat show. 2006 I think, and it was truely shocking. Not worth anything...even salvaging the basic electronics would leave you with the hull and deck to dispose of. Seemed to be a very dated design, with a lot of mild steel or plated fasteners and fittings. Much better go with a well known design (you mentioned Crowther) and get a good surveyor. Not sure where you are from but many folks at yacht clubs are happy to show the new comers the ropes so to speak. Try and get some crewing postions and you will lots of things fast Good luck
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 18:25   #26

Thanks Glen,
We are from South east Ga / Fl border. Took classes this spring, fell in love with sailing, and now on a serious hunt for " our boat". We have been checking up and down the coast for bargins and saw this boat. Don't mind a bit of a project if the bones are good but looks like this boat is in need of more help than we can give. If you hear of good cat in that price range send the info our way.
Thanks again,
Want to sail
Old 20-11-2008, 19:01   #27

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi, good luck with your search.......I relocated to Montreal from Brisbane in May, so my oen project got delayed acouple of years. Not many boat bargains in Montreal!!! You might get aeel for some of the aussie designers and value from www.boatpoint.com.au it has a good search function. Of course with the aussie $$ heading South so fast compared to the US, your money would go twice as far there, kind of handy if you want two hulls . Down side is that to sail the Pacific you would have to go all the way around. Having said that there are sensational cruising grounds in Nth Queensland, PNG, The Solomons etc and of course Asia, all quite close. Good Luck
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 16:29   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Want to sail: The reason the boat is currently listed at $99,000 is that nobody was willing to pay any price for it. When it drops to about $50,000 someone might buy it, strip everthing made elsewhere off of it to sell, and cut up whats left for a land fill. I suspect that as a sailboat, this is a tragedy enroute to the accident site. Please don't buy anything without a very good surveyor. Apparently closer examination of this terrible mistake has scared off several buyers.

If that is your budget, you should be looking for a well cared-for older boat.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 16:49   #29

Why is this boat so cheap

Thanks Sandy,
That is exactly what we are doing. We are headed south in the morning to look at a Leopard. Haven't found anything listed at the same price but hoping that we will find someone willing to deal. May be checking some out in St. Maartin next month but not sure about buying outside the U.S.
Thanks again, This forum is terrific and sailing folks are the true "salt of the earth" Met a new boat owner yesterday at a local marina who invited us aboard her Privilage to look around to help us with more first hand info on different models.
Want to sail
Old 25-11-2008, 07:53   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Buying a non-US flagged boat to sail in US waters adds a wrinkle to the deal. If it were me I would try to fing a Buyer's Agent who has five or six of these deals under his belt. Major blood-letting is not absolutely mandatory, but some screaming and yelling will have to occur, especially if it is a French flagged boat originally bought for charter. Someone wiser than me will need to explain this.

I wish my PDQ 36 was still in the water (and cleaned up) because I would love to show you another option to consider.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote