Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:09   #1

Anyone heard of Multihaven cats?

Does anyone know any thing about Multihaven yachts? These cats are apparently designed by Australians, but then built in China. I would like to get some opinions about the quality, warranty, workmanship, etc. of both the vessels and the company.

Thanks.
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 13:30   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
These were/are very, very poorly built cats with a lot of design peculiarities. They came out way over their design weight and barely float at all. Google around and you will see almost universally bad reviews of them. Multihulls magazine covered them, so you might start there. I have no personal experience with them and have never seen one live, so maybe I shouldn't be posting on them. However, I followed their whole design, build and business story closely the past couple of years and was astonished when I saw pictures and descriptions of the first boats.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I dont think they were designed by Australians, the design was an old English design. The company principles were/are australian and yep built in China.

And yeah, build quality was ordinary and there were a lot of issues. I saw one at sanctuary Cove Boat Show -it was embarrasing for the people who were selling it.

For the same money you could have bought a seawind 1000 and had an ultra reliable boat. I wouldnt buy one for any money.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:41   #4

Boat: now floating easy37
the plague you say, run flee for your life
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 16:38   #5

It's basically a pair of Prout hulls with a block of flats sitting on them. Very poorly constructed ones at that.

Steer well clear of them.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 16:43   #6

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Bob Norson had some choice things to say about the Multihaven cat - here's a link to The Coastal Passage - check pg 17: http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/papers/tcp20.pdf
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 16:43   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Here you go (shudders) multihavenpics

Dave
Old 09-07-2008, 18:28   #8

Thanks for the links to the photos Cat Man Do!! Now that I've seen what I've been hearing about.. I'm actually speechless!! Not to offend anyone but if I wasn't laughing so hard, I'd be crying!! I really feel for the owners of that one.. But hey, if they truly love it, God bless them and good luck.

As much as I'm dying for a boat, I would even say no to it even if given to me for free. Seems way more trouble then it's worth.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:32   #9

COOL!!
I want one
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:52   #10
cruiser

The Coastal Passage publisher has a boat building blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Bob Norson had some choice things to say about the Multihaven cat - here's a link to The Coastal Passage - check pg 17: http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/papers/tcp20.pdf
He's also building a small Oram. Good blog for those interested in boat building, with lots of photos. See: Building a cat, "The Bare Bones" Project
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 18:26   #11

It's amazing to see how he is blaming the designer for his own mistake. The plans CLEARLY say "Trim inner sheer panel and chamfer panel to final length when fitting BWBB" (Back web back beam) It's right there in the photo!

so Mr Norson decides to trim the DECK! And then blames it on Bob Oram? He also tries to blame Bob for him making his bridgedeck supports too short. NOWHERE does it say to shorten the bridgedeck.

I've had many conversations with Bob about builders failing to read the plans properly. I'm sure it's the bane of many designers lives. The trouble is, this blog is going to be read by a great many people, and many will take it to be entirely true, which it is not.

I have to laugh at the way he describes VP structures as "first rate" and "outstanding" Which they are by the way, but I still have the e-mail he sent me,describing them as "Techno-snot" and the person he was dealing with as a "sales puke"!

It was only after I rang them and explained what he needed, which is basically a smaller version of my shed, (something he appeared to be unable to do) that things went smoothly.

I suggest you not take eveything you read in The Coastal Passage as being gospel.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 18:51   #12

Thumbs down Where did it Go ?

Sold to Nauticstar Marine. Guess Bob Ford and Terry Dewhurst made their money and ran ! What is worse, they won't even endorse the product now in production. Huge risks with a Chinese venture. Must be willing to risk your own loss of IP, with or without patent. SO sad.

PLease check their own comment on the Nauticstar venture. Claims their Chinese boats may be hazards to navigation. Posted 3 June 08.

BUY CHINESE

That's a real OUCH !
jjtctaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 19:11   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's amazing to see how he is blaming the designer for his own mistake. The plans CLEARLY say "Trim inner sheer panel and chamfer panel to final length when fitting BWBB" (Back web back beam) It's right there in the photo!

so Mr Norson decides to trim the DECK! And then blames it on Bob Oram? He also tries to blame Bob for him making his bridgedeck supports too short. NOWHERE does it say to shorten the bridgedeck.

I've had many conversations with Bob about builders failing to read the plans properly. I'm sure it's the bane of many designers lives. The trouble is, this blog is going to be read by a great many people, and many will take it to be entirely true, which it is not.

I have to laugh at the way he describes VP structures as "first rate" and "outstanding" Which they are by the way, but I still have the e-mail he sent me,describing them as "Techno-snot" and the person he was dealing with as a "sales puke"!

It was only after I rang them and explained what he needed, which is basically a smaller version of my shed, (something he appeared to be unable to do) that things went smoothly.

I suggest you not take eveything you read in The Coastal Passage as being gospel.

Not suggesting for a second that what you say isnt true

Dave
Old 15-11-2008, 18:54   #14

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Why is this boat so cheap?

Hi I'm new to posting but have been surfing the forum for months. My husband and I are researching buying a Cat to retire and costal cruise. Came across this 2007 Multihaven Catamaran for $99,000 and question What's up? I read the earlier posts here and would lilke additional information. We are obviously not experienced enough to notice many of the things in this boat that have been mentioned. Any input would be appreciated.
Really
Want to sail
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 22:55   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The link of the pics did not work for me.

So I searched Google Images.

multihaven catamaran - Google Image Search

One word: Ewwwwww!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote