Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 09:08   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Re: Any knowledge about Outremer's and XLight Catamarans

We've had our St. Francis 44 in the 12 to 14 knot range many times and I've been told that they can do much more. In a race, the builder did 20+ for an extended time. The boat isn't hard to get to that speed -- even loaded in cruising trim, 20 to 25 knots of wind on the beam will do it without even trying too much.

While 12 to 14 is fun for an hour or two with an alert, capable crew, I wouldn't say I was "comfortable". The boat seemed fine, tracking great and no indications of stress, but I found myself thinking about what could happen. Something breaking at that speed is going to happen fast and no doubt, very expensive! That's about the time I put in a reef and slow her down. 10 knots is just more comfortable for my mind, and maybe that's the big difference!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 09:16   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I really like the older Outremers as well but since they are solid glass with no core would they have enough flotation to stay afloat if holed or flipped?
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 11:36   #18

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
We've had our St. Francis 44 in the 12 to 14 knot range many times and I've been told that they can do much more. In a race, the builder did 20+ for an extended time. The boat isn't hard to get to that speed -- even loaded in cruising trim, 20 to 25 knots of wind on the beam will do it without even trying too much.

While 12 to 14 is fun for an hour or two with an alert, capable crew, I wouldn't say I was "comfortable". The boat seemed fine, tracking great and no indications of stress, but I found myself thinking about what could happen. Something breaking at that speed is going to happen fast and no doubt, very expensive! That's about the time I put in a reef and slow her down. 10 knots is just more comfortable for my mind, and maybe that's the big difference!

ID
I guess that if 10kts is comfortable on a 44 footer I'll stick to our little Gemini 105Mc because 10kts is also comfortable at that speed and have sailed all day at 10kts and 12 to 14 kts is fun for a couple hours too. I guess I was hopeing on more comfortable speed maybe 16 to 20 kts and 22 to 24 kts fun for a couple hours, but maybe I'm kidding myself and need to look at bigger cats for that range of comfortable speed, like a 60+ ft Gunboat.
Old 23-10-2011, 11:54   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I guess that if 10kts is comfortable on a 44 footer I'll stick to our little Gemini 105Mc because 10kts is also comfortable at that speed and have sailed all day at 10kts and 12 to 14 kts is fun for a couple hours too.(...)
I think, by upgrading to an O45 or the 49 model (and there is a bigger thing expected this year too), you would gain at least in the following situations:

- light wind passages - you will be able to use lower range of wind speeds and make miles where other boats would stop 'becalmed',

- make consistently higher daily runs - longer waterline, bigger momentum, higher power - more miles sailed day in day out.

Note the 11.5 knots average was calculated over the direct course ... how many other cruising boats are there that will cross from Canary Islands to the Antilles in 9 days ???

If I were after a cat in the faster-lighter group I would definitely put an Outremer on my watchlist.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 00:24   #20

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

There is also gonna be a Catana 49(stretched 47) on the market,it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Outremer 49.
The Catana will be more luxurious yet it wont be much slower.

Another alternative to these 2 is the SMG 50;
Sail the difference

A little different but should be very quick too.

Regards,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 05:41   #21
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
There is also gonna be a Catana 49(stretched 47) on the market,it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Outremer 49.

Another alternative to these 2 is the SMG 50;
Sail the difference

A little different but should be very quick too.

Regards,
JJ
The SMG 50 is a really pretty boat but no inside helm and no place to sit while steering from the outside
Old 24-10-2011, 06:14   #22

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The SMG 50 is a really pretty boat but no inside helm and no place to sit while steering from the outside

Yep,but some sort of seat should be possible,it would have to be a foldable one though or else it would sit right in the doorway.
Interesting design nevertheless.

Another fast one is coming from the UK;
Broadblue Rapier550 | Broadblue Catamarans UK

There is also a 400 version,looks a bit like a Maine cat,that 400 one.

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 06:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42

Now that we have stepped all over your dreams of rapid transits (that each and every one of us entertained at one time or another), consider what we have told you: The Outremer will outrun virtually anything in its LOA range that has cushions in the berths and a place to take a hot shower. But you must be content with the equipment provided, because adding little luxuries involves enormous weight gains, complexity and maintenance issues and more.
But it will do it a few knots faster than X, Y. or Z; nowhere near warp speed. the twenty knot barrier is broken by hundred foot cats with crews of a dozen or more very fit professionals, or wealthy retirees on huge powerboats. Oh, I forgot. There are a couple bass boats with big engines and certified lunatics bolted to the keels.

Your Gemini is a great boat, the biggest bang for your boating buck, with more bragging rights than any other cat. It will take you to any of the most desirable locations in the Western Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, and with the boards and rudders up, it will find refuge in any water deeper than a heavy dew! But for anyone wanting something roomier or fancier, the next $tep is a very big one. No one else has been able to achieve Tony Smith's mastery of production economies, period.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 07:16   #24

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

As long as we are talking about dream boats, how about the new Catana 50 whick is now "3500 kg lighter than before"? All their boats are going on diets. Plus their upcoming 55 and 59 models should be special as well. BTW JJ77, I was just on the Catana website and saw no mention of a stretch 47. Can you point us to this? Seems odd that they would offer a 49 and a 50. Another point that I believe is true is a higher resale value. You number crunchers can verify this. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a beer. This is due to a variety of factors like better fit of interiors and less quality issues. You don't hear Catana owners bitching about the crappy fit and poor customer service. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:55   #25
smj

There was a time in the early 2000's I think when quite a few of the Catanas had major problems and no customer support. At the time I believe the company went bankrupt.
Old 24-10-2011, 11:07   #26

Re: Any Knowledge About Outremers and XLight Catamarans ?

If you like to combine comfort and speed when sailing, try the Outremer 49. We rented one for the second time this year and will do so next year. The 49 has enough headroom throughout the boat, watermaker, separate shower and all the other comforts of modern sailing. It is fast: with a small family crew we did over 500 miles in 2 weeks without ever feeling uncomfortable. Max speed was 18 kts without trying to race. The main advantage was that we could rely on 10+ kts for passages between Caribbean islands and never had to get up early to arrive with the sun still up.
Tomcat1
tomcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 11:38   #27

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I know our little Gemini 105Mc is the biggest bang for the buck, that's why I bought one. but you all know you have to have a dream before things happen. so one dream done and more to go.

I am dreaming of winning a big lottery and looked at the new Gunboat 60 or is the 66 that's very light built of composits. I hear they will be coming off the line soon in I think China. and were on the Pacific side of the world instead of the Med side.They look great and comfortable but keep them light with awsome speeds. But big bucks.
Old 24-10-2011, 12:00   #28

The Outremer 42 and the Chris White Atlantic 42 seems to have quite similar dimensions and weight so their performance should be quite equal, whats your opinion Sandy?

The trend on most modern cruising multihulls seems to be more focus living space and gadgets than sailing. There are of course some companies that goes the other way like gunboat, but they have a price...

I would like a Outremer 42 light, where they have stripped away some furniture and other stuff. There are some nice Outremer light 55 for sale but that a big boat!
herkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 12:03   #29

Boat: O45 ordered

I went to the multihull show in La grande Motte in April and the Outremer 49 I liked most. A lot of money but if you can afford one, go for it.

And although no expert. To me they looked very complete with alot of luxuries. Only approx 750k euro + taxes for a new one.
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 14:02   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
(...)
You joker you ... ;-)))

You have sailed a Catana ever?

Man, I bet she will be way slower. Unless Catana is up to something new. I will check out their website anyway.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote