Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Any Knowledge About Outremers and XLight Catamarans ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynalds View Post
(...) In light wind & broad reaching, I would say as a general formula that the sog = apparent wind speed (with the geenacker of course).
Hope this helps !
r
THX for informative posts!

I am most impressed with speeds you can get at low winds. We crossed many areas where the seas were lovely flat but the wind was too little to sail (we have a small mono). We struggled to keep her going at winds less than 5 knots. Then I imagined a light cat could still keep on going and at a good clip too.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:03   #47

Boat: Conser 47

I will be cruising in a Outremer 49 for 2 weeks in February from Guadeloupe to the Grenadines. After sailing 30,000 nm on my Conser 47 it will be interesting to see how the 49 performs ( 2 Carib 1500, Atlantic Cup, Bahama Rally, 3 - ALIR etc.). We have averaged 200nm days made good on average on long sails. These were sailed mainly in cruising configuration with non racing crews. I hope it will be at least equal the performance of my Conser 47. We will only be doing short sails in trade winds so I have high expectations. We are looking for a boat with more accommodations for my family of 6 with 4 grown children. I will report my opinions after our trip.

I have sailed a 55 standard in The Outremer Cup and was impressed with the performance. In a test sail at the boat show">Annapolis Boat show we easily passed a Swithch 51 while sailing a Outremer 45. They have sailed well in my experiences and to me have enough accommodations. If not for the 2 year wait at the time I would have bought a Outremer 45 in 2001 when it first came out.

Runaway C47
RunawayC47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 15:24   #48

Boat: Corsair 31-1D

I have seen a 55' Outremer recently, and love it. It is however, quite a lot of boat. Those of you who have been on or ideally, have sailed a 45, what is your opinion of the size difference? Is the accommodation markedly smaller? I'm not sure I really need a 55 foot boat.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:25   #49

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayC47 View Post
I will be cruising in a Outremer 49 for 2 weeks in February from Guadeloupe to the Grenadines. After sailing 30,000 nm on my Conser 47 it will be interesting to see how the 49 performs ( 2 Carib 1500, Atlantic Cup, Bahama Rally, 3 - ALIR etc.). We have averaged 200nm days made good on average on long sails. These were sailed mainly in cruising configuration with non racing crews. I hope it will be at least equal the performance of my Conser 47. We will only be doing short sails in trade winds so I have high expectations. We are looking for a boat with more accommodations for my family of 6 with 4 grown children. I will report my opinions after our trip.

I have sailed a 55 standard in The Outremer Cup and was impressed with the performance. In a test sail at the Annapolis Boat show we easily passed a Swithch 51 while sailing a Outremer 45. They have sailed well in my experiences and to me have enough accommodations. If not for the 2 year wait at the time I would have bought a Outremer 45 in 2001 when it first came out.

Runaway C47
Some great sailing experiences you have enjoyed and because of that I look forward to your future post on the Outremer 49. I don't go by post counts on this forum for my respect of opinions, rather experience like yours that you were kind enough to share to preface your post. I am leaning towards a 20 year old Outremer because I can not deny my personality of the need for speed, even when that dictates bruising the cruising kitty to buy a "better-faster" than others might have. Ego, not a good trait, but I'm guilty in this particular respect. To have just a safe and comfortable cat and a well oiled cruising kitty had me looking at 20 year old Prout 50s, but if I'm willing to take a hit to the cruising funds, then a 20 year old Outremer will make me a happier sailor.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01   #50

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Found this om the net,it is an interview with the builder of the TS 52.8,although in French the camera wanders through the boat.
enjoy!

X Light Catamarans - Prsentation du TS 52.8 sur le Salon du Multicoque la Grande Motte

nb;the interview is preceeded by a 10sec commercial.

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
I have seen a 55' Outremer recently, and love it. It is however, quite a lot of boat. Those of you who have been on or ideally, have sailed a 45, what is your opinion of the size difference? Is the accommodation markedly smaller? I'm not sure I really need a 55 foot boat.
Inside accomodation is not much smaller in a 45 compared to a 55 (however the cockpit of the 55 is much bigger). However, stability and speed are very different. I have sailed on both and you can't follow a 55 if you sail on a 45. It may work for a few hours but, everything else being equal, no way !
Personal opinion !
Cheers
Reynald
Reynalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27   #52

Hello Reynald,
My wife and I have begun the search for a performance cruising catamaran. The Outremers are very high on the list. Can you share the decision process (and criteria) that lead to your purchasing an Outremer 55? Also I would be very interested in why you chose the light over the standard. Do you know of any issues that have surfaced with these models that we should look for when initially inspecting a boat for sale? Thank you in advance for any information that you can share. Facts learned from first hand experience are difficult to come by.
Thanks,
Gulffrog
gulffrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:46   #53
Marine Service Provider

I have have had the fortune of doing a transatlantic on a 55 light in '09.
Out of a number of cats and monos that I have been across the pond in, the Outremer ranks extremely high, for handling and stiffness. They are extremely easy to sail shorthanded and one does not feel over powered.
This year I got to sail on a 49 in France and it was an absolute pleasure. The winds were light, but this helped show the boats pedigree.
Here is a video of the beginning of our Transatlantic, making 18kts while running for shelter into St. Augustine under triple reef.
Look on the FB page and there are more videos of the Outremers.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50181741358581
JustCatamarans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 21:55   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulffrog View Post
Hello Reynald,
My wife and I have begun the search for a performance cruising catamaran. The Outremers are very high on the list. Can you share the decision process (and criteria) that lead to your purchasing an Outremer 55? Also I would be very interested in why you chose the light over the standard. Do you know of any issues that have surfaced with these models that we should look for when initially inspecting a boat for sale? Thank you in advance for any information that you can share. Facts learned from first hand experience are difficult to come by.
Thanks,
Gulffrog
Hello Gulffrog,
The decision process was rather the models/makes I didn't want to ! then we narrowed it down with budget considerations ... As for the light/standard there was no 55 Standard I could visit, only 50 standard and I didn't like it (loss of the stern crash box). On top of that the price/weight were both higher in the standard version so the final decision was fairly easy !
Cheers
Reynald
Reynalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13   #55

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCatamarans View Post
I have have had the fortune of doing a transatlantic on a 55 light in '09.
Out of a number of cats and monos that I have been across the pond in, the Outremer ranks extremely high, for handling and stiffness. They are extremely easy to sail shorthanded and one does not feel over powered.
This year I got to sail on a 49 in France and it was an absolute pleasure. The winds were light, but this helped show the boats pedigree.
Here is a video of the beginning of our Transatlantic, making 18kts while running for shelter into St. Augustine under triple reef.
Look on the FB page and there are more videos of the Outremers.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50181741358581
Great video. Did you really need 35kt breezes to get 18kt's out of the boat??