Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 16:46   #1

Advice on next charter destination? SVI / St John / Antigua

1) We were all set to head to Puerto Rico to do our 5th sail in the Spanish virgins - we absolutely love the secluded and off the beaten path feel, hence why we keep going back. The issue now is PR may not lift the beach closures and allow for mooring or anchoring before our adventure. I should note we are slated for June 6-12.

2) USVI is apparently wide open for business. Is there enough to do on St. John alone? BVI is locked down. We have done the USVI/BVI tour and love the BVI. Haven’t considered only USVI. How far away would we need to stay away from the BVI shores I wonder? Again, we are not the ultra touristy types and rather seek more of seclusion and adventure.

3) And then Antigua is supposed to open their doors on June 1! This seems interesting because we haven’t been there, it’d be something new. But we haven’t yet studied the cruising grounds and if there is seclusion/adventure or is it all built up and touristy?

Don’t get me wrong I love a nice restaurant one or two nights, and we love a little hole in the wall beach bar serving $5 for two plain killers.

Ok so what are your thoughts? I know there are some well traveled pros who can dive right in on this topic.

Thank you thank you! My next move will be based on your feedback.

- Coy C
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 18:13   #2

Re: Advice on next charter destination? SVI / St John / Antigua

The south side of Antigua, was nice. But the rest of the island was the horror. I will never go there again. The roads are not maintained. Pot holes everywhere. THe locals drive down the middle of the road to avoid the holes. Only at the last second do they return to their lane. Wild dogs are everywhere. They apparently have the largest homeless dog population in all the Caribbean. We saw injured dogs struggling to survive and no one cared. Absolutely will never return.

Try St. John's and do a small passage to St Croix to buck island, hit the east most spanish virgin island; Culebrita.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 22:12   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I do like St. John, but the choice of new anchorages there is limited, albeit I have stayed a week in the northern part of the island in a different location each night (but those bays are all right next to each other).

While Limpet is correct about the pot holes, that isn't unique to Antigua. I've come to like the island and there are numerous anchorages that are secluded, the island (tourism marketing department) boasts 365 beaches and there is a lot of history on the island as well. One of my all-time favorite anchorages is off Green Island - secluded and beautiful and a paradise for kite- and wind-surfers.

There are anchorages with services ashore (Jolly Harbour, Falmouth Harbour, English Harbour, Deep Bay, etc.) and many more with nothing on the shoreline except sandy beaches. The sailing and navigation is more challenging than in the BVI. And Barbuda is, to all accounts, worth a visit as well.

Green Island anchorage close to shore with Zanshin (8.5 feet draft) in front
Old 24-05-2020, 05:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I do like St. John, but the choice of new anchorages there is limited, albeit I have stayed a week in the northern part of the island in a different location each night (but those bays are all right next to each other).

While Limpet is correct about the pot holes, that isn't unique to Antigua. I've come to like the island and there are numerous anchorages that are secluded, the island (tourism marketing department) boasts 365 beaches and there is a lot of history on the island as well. One of my all-time favorite anchorages is off Green Island - secluded and beautiful and a paradise for kite- and wind-surfers.

There are anchorages with services ashore (Jolly Harbour, Falmouth Harbour, English Harbour, Deep Bay, etc.) and many more with nothing on the shoreline except sandy beaches. The sailing and navigation is more challenging than in the BVI. And Barbuda is, to all accounts, worth a visit as well.

Green Island anchorage close to shore with Zanshin (8.5 feet draft) in front
If you like sailing Antigua is the place to go
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:24   #5

Excellent feedback. Being wed be on the boat the potholes won’t bother us.

Can you share your favorite Anchorage’s? I’m now digging in on navionics. We are used to healthy mooring systems in SVI USVI BVI - are there moorings or do we expect to drop the book more?

Will be looking closer at Antigua.

Thank you

Coy C
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:42   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The only public moorings that I know of are in the area of Green Island. They are free to use and are in good shape. There are some moorings in Jolly and Falmouth that can be rented but generally you are going to anchor out. I've found holding to be good everywhere except English Harbour and certain areas of Falmouth Harbour.

My boat's deep draft keeps me from going to a lot of anchorages, but there are several guide books which will give you great information on which locations you can use. I like to spend time in Falmouth harbour because of all the shoreside attractions, but Deep Bay, Five Islands and Jolly are great locations to anchor and very protected. And I've spent weeks at a time up in Green Island and environs.
Old 24-05-2020, 08:34   #7

Antigua.Do remember that the sea is bigger than in the BVI.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

If you like off the beaten path, The Bahamas are better!
We offer crewed charters in the Exumas or any area of the Bahamas.
You can still find beaches with no foot prints, dive for fish, conch, and lobster, but, find a nice dinner out if wanted.
www.calvertcatamarancharters.com
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:57   #9

Boat: Outbound 46

We love all three destinations. Antigua has several very nice and secluded anchorages. We think that Nonesuch Bay near Green Island is even nicer than the Tobago Keys, and much less crowded. Carlisle Bay is another favorite spot, small but peaceful. With careful navigation you can work your way into Parham Bay on the north side, another quiet and enjoyable spot.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 09:12   #10

Boat: Sabre 386

We have kept our boat in Antigua for 5 years and are very fond of the island. Like you, we like to go off the beaten path but you need to go to Barbuda, Great Bird, or Green, all of which are amazing. We either anchor or are on the dock at Catamaran or Jolly ( they have a few moorings - not common in Antigua).
We love the people, the history, and the beauty of the island. Any one who is bothered by a few stray dogs and pot holes might prefer staying at one of the very nice all inclusive resorts.
MB
michaelbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:20   #11

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

If you want to step it up a notch go to Antigua. If you like BVI then you would love the Grenadines - and I understand they are open.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:45   #12

Boat: Hylas 54

Today Bird Island, Antigua. Our boat in background not foreground
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4ACFC9D-1D03-41FF-BA16-E7B48E436E43.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	215704  
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:46   #13

Boat: Hylas 54

Today Bird Island, Antigua. Our boat in background not foreground!
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:00   #14

Boat: KP 46

Tonga,

Very friendly folks, beautiful clear water, easy anchorages, uncrowded, and very friendly locals. Caribbean is a zoo compared to Tonga.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Today Bird Island, Antigua. Our boat in background not foreground
What is the Corona virus situation in Antigua ?

Lockdown ?
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, charter, destination