Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2008, 19:33   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

I am somewhat impressed at the extreme loyalty you multi only lot have though, and that is meant as a good thing. I'm just a tad disappointed most can't or are unwilling to acknowledge that mono's do have a place, all aren't just floating death traps...
I can't agree with you there. I even owned a mono for 8 years, just sold it this year. Obviously they have a place. I think the vast majority of us acknowledge that fact.

The thread is about the advantages of catamarans. I don't understand why mono people have to come in and start questioning multihull seaworthiness - generally with no basis in fact, as well as being off topic.

Multihulls have their advantages, so do monohulls. That's what this topic was supposed to be about. Neither has sole claim to being seaworthy IMHO.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 19:44   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotra76 View Post
What are the advantages of a multihull sailboat that monohull sailboats dont have monohull sailboats and vice versa
This is what this topic is about - and vice versa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The thread is about the advantages of catamarans. I don't understand why mono people have to come in and start questioning multihull seaworthiness - generally with no basis in fact, as well as being off topic.
There are no "mono-people" or "multi-people" just like there are no "dog-people" or "cat-people."

There are just boats - with mono-hulls and multi-hulls

-and-

There are just people - with different opinions.

As far as I can tell there is no rule about being required to own a specific configuration boat before one has an opinion...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 19:48   #168

Boat: Cruising Cat
There are sailors and then there are sailors and most have different types of boats
Old 25-09-2008, 19:51   #169

Quote:
I even owned a mono for 8 years, just sold it this year. Obviously they have a place. I think the vast majority of us acknowledge that fact.

Multihulls have their advantages, so do monohulls. That's what this topic was supposed to be about. Neither has sole claim to being seaworthy IMHO.
Perhaps at that we can say we really do hold similar views, I hope so.

In case of any misunderstandings I have not questioned the seaworthiness of catamarans (I do hold that monos and multis do differ in their respective seakeeping advantages though) and in my first (I think was my first, I am not going back to look ) post I made the point I was only stating advantages. Since then I have only responded to claims of advantages that I have seen as not correctly attributed to multihulls alone or if they existed were not universally important as seemed to me to be inferred.

I trust that you see me in a different light now.

I am looking forward to swapping my near to Antarctic mono location for Rick's warmer catamaran one though, when do we do it?

John
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 19:58   #170

Boat: Privilege 39
Coca-Cola is better than Pepsi!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 21:06   #171
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Coca-Cola is better than Pepsi!
Unless of course....

44CC - There was a fair whack of tongue in cheek in that comment of mine. And to talk advantages surely you have to talk advantages over something else, in this case monos.

And the 'mono-people' seem to be a bit short on the ground here. It seems to be mostly multi with a splash of 'don't care I'll have either'. Yes I currently have a mono but that's because I sold my multi and for what I want my boat to do for me at this moment in time, it happened a mono works out better.

I better leave it there I think.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 00:30   #172

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
Imagine2frolic, Lovely pic! Great hull colour too. This is what being out there is all about, no matter what your on,In 05, I met a young Polynesian fella in Tahiti who took part with his father in a re-enactment of a voyage of a big canoe trip to or from Hawaii to Tahiti a few years ago using the old nav.methods.(octopus) Wouldn't that be a magnificent trip? I believe the big canoe is in Hawaii. Must get to Hawaii some day. natureboy.
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 01:30   #173

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
My Nissan is better than your Ford.
For me!
Guess we all get defensive about our choice being informed and carefully condidered so why does Joe go off and buy something completely different.

Why this Forum. It's a cruisers forum. Bigger boats (more spacious boats) make better live aboard cruisers. Credit crunch means I'm having to consider a mono because I can't afford a 33' ish cat anymore. I'll be defensive about the boat I buy, whichever, because I didn't pick the first one I saw.
Old 26-09-2008, 02:02   #174

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
A Monos home http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...=351&catid=517 your right a multi will never do that Have a nice weekend I will on a cat

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 05:13   #175

Glad the thread stayed civil, good for all of us. We may agree or disagree but I did not see anyone disparaging others opinions.

CC, mono's were invited to comment. In the first post the last two words were "vica versa".

Quote:
The thread is about the advantages of catamarans. I don't understand why mono people have to come in and start questioning multihull seaworthiness .
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 05:50   #176
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolanreg@smartc View Post
Imagine2frolic, Lovely pic! Great hull colour too. This is what being out there is all about, no matter what your on,In 05, I met a young Polynesian fella in Tahiti who took part with his father in a re-enactment of a voyage of a big canoe trip to or from Hawaii to Tahiti a few years ago using the old nav.methods.(octopus) Wouldn't that be a magnificent trip? I believe the big canoe is in Hawaii. Must get to Hawaii some day. natureboy.
DRIFT,

I have actually spoken with the Bishop Museum, and I am looking forward to sailing there. Is it possible you still have contact of some sort with this young man? Have you read THE LAST NAVIGATOR?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 06:28   #177
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Lapita Route
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 00:26   #178
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
And the 'mono-people' seem to be a bit short on the ground here. It seems to be mostly multi with a splash of 'don't care I'll have either'. .
Ahem - Im no rocket scientist, but maybe its because the title of the forum area is MULTIHULL SAILBOATS
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 02:01   #179
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Ahem - Im no rocket scientist, but maybe its because the title of the forum area is MULTIHULL SAILBOATS
And we get shouted at for venturing over here.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 03:16   #180
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
And we get shouted at for venturing over here.........
BY "we", whom do you mean?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull