Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 20:00   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Adhesive for solar panels

This video is what got me going down the road of putting flexible panels on the coach roof. . Jason seems to be having good luck with his flexible panels.

I like the 3M VHB tape idea but don't know how easy it would be to remove if/when a panel needs to be replaced. Anybody remove this stuff after it has cured for a couple of years?

I know I can get silicone off. Practical sailor did an article testing some adhesive removers and had real good success with removing silicone off of gel cote.
Marc_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 23:38   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Your backing should be a heat sink, ideally gapped between it and the panel. Usually aluminum.

Insulation between that backing and the heat sink to protect gel coat maybe, but trapping the panel's heat worsens the problem.

The framed panels end up being **lots** cheaper over time.
Yet the latest design in semi-flex panels is backing on 2-3mm of fibreglass rather than aluminium.

You're not trapping the panels heat. You have airflow over the top of the panel, and heat rises.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 23:56   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

If you have a hard surface why not get rigid panels? Less expensive, better performance and longer life?
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 01:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_H View Post
This video is what got me going down the road of putting flexible panels on the coach roof. . Jason seems to be having good luck with his flexible panels.

I like the 3M VHB tape idea but don't know how easy it would be to remove if/when a panel needs to be replaced. Anybody remove this stuff after it has cured for a couple of years?

I know I can get silicone off. Practical sailor did an article testing some adhesive removers and had real good success with removing silicone off of gel cote.
It's exactly the same used to stick down gopro mounts. It's removed relatively easily with some thin wire, then a scraper to remove the rest of the foam. A little solvent for any residue left.

More tricky on a rough surface like moulded non-skid, but infinitely easier then removing something like sikaflex or 3m 3200.

A Stripe-off wheel is another good method for removing the residue.
Old 25-03-2018, 02:19   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_H View Post
Jason seems to be having good luck with his flexible panels.
I just watched a few minutes of this video and while he does nice professional videos I would not ask him anything electrical.

Just ask him again in 5 or 6 years. There may be expensive brands that actually do survive beeing walked on for years, but most seem to suffer badly over time. If you don't walk on there is no point in using flexible on a rigid surface.

Flexibles have their place on canvas biminis but I would not go down that route on a rigid bimini. Rigid panels are much cheaper, have better output, are easily replaced if using a standard size, and last longer.

If you really want to go with flexible panels I would use plain silicone as glue. I know many folks don't want silicone near their boats, but to me its OK to use as a glue for something I know I will remove in the future.
No point in using something strong like MS Polymer glues or Sikaflex here.

These panels will for sure get hot. Even my rigid panels with plenty of air above and below get too hot to touch in full sunlight. I don't know if this is enough to cause trouble with gelcoat or foam core in the long run.

If you try to get air flow under the panels think about what happens when it blows hard. Fleible panels flapping around won't last long.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 02:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Just ask him again in 5 or 6 years. There may be expensive brands that actually do survive beeing walked on for years, but most seem to suffer badly over time. If you don't walk on there is no point in using flexible on a rigid surface.

Flexibles have their place on canvas biminis but I would not go down that route on a rigid bimini. Rigid panels are much cheaper, have better output, are easily replaced if using a standard size, and last longer.
Weight would be one reason for going for semi-flexible. A rigid panel is roughly 6kg heavier per 100w.

There is no difference at all in efficiency between rigid and semi-flexible. There is a large difference when it comes to truly flexible panels, but they are another kettle of fish all together.
Old 25-03-2018, 02:43   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Weight would be one reason for going for semi-flexible. A rigid panel is roughly 6kg heavier per 100w.
Good catch!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 04:46   #23
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Anyone getting 4-5 years out of semiflex is definitely ahead of the curve IMO must have found a good way to mount.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 07:05   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45

"I like the 3M VHB tape idea but don't know how easy it would be to remove if/when a panel needs to be replaced. Anybody remove this stuff after it has cured for a couple of years?"

It's definitely difficult to remove completely. Acetone will take it off, but if another panel is going over it. If you clean up the residue as much as easily possible you should be able to lay the new panel over it.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, panels, solar, solar panels