Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 22:52   #16

Re: 38ft FP, Lagoon , Leopard Quality comparison

Have sailed all these big 3 factory 38 -40 ft cats. They all perform pretty much the same. They all run pretty much the same engines and electronics, so really the only thing to compare is fitout/layout and that is all personal preference. If I wanted one I would I would buy any one of them, it will depend on what's available and condition when you come to buy, don't get hung up on brand. I am sure Manta and Sea Wind would also be attractive, but there are so few of them around there may not be one to buy for the $, condition or load capacity you want. If you get hung up on brand, you might be lucky, but you may also be waiting a long time.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 16:57   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
i'm about to buy a 380 as well. Could you elaborate on the maintenance?

Engine, electrical, rigging ? It seems to be a fairly "maintainable" boat, re; working space. Both ER are walkaround
One thing I dislike about lagoon 380 is the extensive use of cheap through-hulls and seacocks.

Too many holes in the boat, and all with cheap household valves instead of proper seacocks.
Let me count on the 380: 2x sink, 2x toilet inlet, 2x toilet outlet, galley sink, fridge drain, footpump inlet

The FP Mahe has 1 shared inlet per hull. Everything else is well above the waterline.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 17:54   #18

Boat: Lagoon L42

As a Lagoon owner, the only the thru-hulls and seacocks on my boat are Groco....from the factory!
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:20   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
As a Lagoon owner, the only the thru-hulls and seacocks on my boat are Groco....from the factory!
we have L400 and 8 years old and all seacocks are in fine condition. This is my receipe :

KEEP THE BILGES DRY
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
we have L400 and 8 years old and all seacocks are in fine condition. This is my receipe :

KEEP THE BILGES DRY
Maybe the factory used perfect sea cocks for your boat, I don't know.

What I do know:
Lagoon used $5 brass ball valves on my own 1999 410 and 2008 380, and as far as I can remember every other 380, 410, and 400 that I have ever viewed (all 2010 and older).
Decincification of brass has nothing to do with dry bilges.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Maybe the factory used perfect sea cocks for your boat, I don't know.

What I do know:
Lagoon used $5 brass ball valves on my own 1999 410 and 2008 380, and as far as I can remember every other 380, 410, and 400 that I have ever viewed (all 2010 and older).
Decincification of brass has nothing to do with dry bilges.
you are right, 2 of my thruhulls have bit of green stuff. Also 1 yanmar seacock is frozen.

Rest of thruhulls are in pristine condition. Still wonder if i change only ones that showing signs or all of them ...

Non dry bilges may contribute to increase speed of process, based on what i have seen on other boats.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:06   #22

A wet bilge just adds a bit moisture so there will be more corrosion on the handle. But can't really affect dezincification.

I can't speak for your seacocks but if they have green stuff, I guess they are the same cheap brass that I had.

I'd replace all necessary (shared) seacocks with something more durable, and glass over the others.
Sooner or later the brass ones will need replacement, so I think its smarter to do them all at once and be done with it.

The SD ones need monthly exercise or they freeze.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
A wet bilge just adds a bit moisture so there will be more corrosion on the handle. But can't really affect dezincification.

I can't speak for your seacocks but if they have green stuff, I guess they are the same cheap brass that I had.

I'd replace all necessary (shared) seacocks with something more durable, and glass over the others.
Sooner or later the brass ones will need replacement, so I think its smarter to do them all at once and be done with it.

The SD ones need monthly exercise or they freeze.
just internet-educating myself. Although moisture does not interact with dezincification,
it is important factor though:
"However, dezincification corrosion is not the only problem that makes brass hull fittings and sea cock valves unsuitable, even if the brass should be dezincification resistant. Stress corrosion cracking is a potential problem, which may attack all types of brass. Stress corrosion cracking occurs as cracks formed by a combination of mechanical stresses and the effect from moisture and ammonia"

I will have thorough inspection and likely replacement next time on hard. Thanks for alerting me
Old 12-03-2021, 03:41   #24

Each through hull is not a hard or expensive job if slotted in at a convenient time.

It only becomes expensive if it fails and demands an immediate lift to repair. Or if you find out that you have 15-20 to replace...
Old 12-03-2021, 05:05   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380

Good point on the seacocks. I'm leaning toward Marelon material. Zero corrosion and able to withstand the 300 lb side load tests. I think I'll lean and hammer on mine during the survey coming up within the month.
And, I'll report my findings.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Good point on the seacocks. I'm leaning toward Marelon material. Zero corrosion and able to withstand the 300 lb side load tests. I think I'll lean and hammer on mine during the survey coming up within the month.
And, I'll report my findings.
Personally I don't consider the sideload test _that_ important for many applications / locations.
In a 380 these are located in tiny cabinets and there is no way to "accidentally" apply such force (like stepping onto one in the bilge). Even with a hammer it's not easy to hit it hard enough.
Except the one at the saildrive of course, but that is a special beast anyway.

With a 300lb sideload on a seacock you'd probably crush the hull of a 380. Its just a thin uncored shell below the waterline.
I'd not hammer anything during survey. Get the surveyor to assess the seacocks, and be done with it. That will give you more negotiating power than a seacock that you break by hammering.

I prefer the truedesign. Don't know why exactly but they just feel good, and are priced OK. Totally un-founded and un-scientific decision on my part.
Old 14-04-2021, 08:46   #27

Boat: Leopard 38 Catamaran

Owned a Leopard, have chartered FP's and Lagoon's. My 2 cents, FP seemed to not "wear" as well, Leopard nice build quality, liked the Lagoon also.
louielouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 11:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Owned a Leopard, have chartered FP's and Lagoon's. My 2 cents, FP seemed to not "wear" as well, Leopard nice build quality, liked the Lagoon also.

I would really be curious if anyone has done comparisons on the volume of living space both in the cockpit and salon. I have two toddlers and I was looking at Lagoon 380s online until I saw one in person and found there’s nowhere in the cockpit for the kids to “run around” without removing the cockpit table. Lagoon 42 looks like it has the same cockpit/salon volume as a FP Helia 44, but some people say a FP Pajot Lucia 40 has more than a Lagoon 400. On the west coast I don’t have many in person options to go see for myself, and I need to do online recon to narrow it down before flying anywhere to see a boat I’m interested in.
Captaindball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:02   #29

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'

Hey Jason, where do you haul out? Whats the beam of your cat?
carlabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 19:21   #30

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsaircpt View Post
I should also add Nautitech to this comparison .
No exclude it
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, leopard, Nautitech