Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 14:28   #1

38ft FP, Lagoon , Leopard Quality comparison

Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a Cat for the 38ft-40ft range from one one the main Cat suppliers, FP, Leopard,Lagoon. Area of operations will likely be in Florida and Caribbean region initially for the first 1-2 seasons and then eastern Mediterranean with a large passage from Gibraltar to Aegean.

Do you have any experiences in quality of construction, safety, maintenance of these brands and any particular year models to recommend ? I am looking at boats from 2012-2018 . The intent of the boat is personal use for 3-4 months in Caribbean and Eastern Med.

I would appreciate all feedback and recommendations and comparisons., so thank you in advance.
corsaircpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 14:32   #2

Re: 38ft FP, Lagoon , Leopard Quality comparison

I should add, I am looking at sailing for leisure and not necessarily for super fast sailing, so sailing comfort and safety would be important criteria compared to speed
Old 21-02-2020, 16:38   #3

I should also add Nautitech to this comparison .
Old 21-02-2020, 16:44   #4

You ask 100 people that question you'll get 100 different answers, many of which are mutually exclusive. The general consensus is that they're all roughly equal in general build quality while each has quirks that may be a big deal to some and not even noticed by others. For example, FPs are supposed to squeak a lot internally. I have a Mahe 36 and have hardly noticed it at all, but I know it drives some people crazy and I don't doubt their sincere feelings. I did charters in one of each boat I was interested in, highly recommend that. Some were just a long weekend on the Chesapeake, so not a big investment in time or money. But enough to really get a feel for strengths and weaknesses that matter to you.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:23   #5

Boat: FP Lipari 41

For the points you mention, I would look at a Seawind 1160 or 1250. Beat the other hands own on build quality and are a pleasure to sail.
Bruce S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 08:54   #6

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

You should consider adding Manta 40 and Manta 42 to your list as well. Well built boats and a great owner's group. Built in the USA and superior build quality to mass production boats. Most of the 127 of them built are still cruising the world! Quite a few for sale right now too.

Jason
Breathe
Manta #49
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 15:21   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I remembering hearing some years ago that the Robertson and Caine Catamarans (Leopard and others) were delivered worldwide on the own bluewater voyages from their manufacture in Capetown, South Africa. I was surprised to hear this and thought, if true, this this was quite a testament to their sound reliability. I just looked at their website and noticed that they made this same claim.
Old 23-02-2020, 14:52   #8
Marine Service Provider

It has been absolutely true that Robertson & Caine cats, even the PowerCats,
have all been delivered on their own bottoms to the various bases if for Moorings or Sun Sail or to their buyers for private purchases.

Recently I read that they R&C are looking at shipping some of their production in the near future.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 17:59   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Most of the Leopards have been shipped over the last few years, not delivered on their own bottoms.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 10:56   #10

Boat: Lagoon L42

Shipped or not has little to do with sea going capability but rather if the owner wants a used boat upon arrival. My first French cat arrived with >400hrs on the engines and the interior "broken in" by the delivery crew.
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:11   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42

If anyone is considering a cruising catamaran in the 38’ range, I think it’s hard to go wrong with the Lagoon 38. It is the most successful cruising catamaran every manufactured. Hundreds have cruised across oceans and it probably has the longest production run of any cat. It was introduce in 2001, more 38’s are on the water than any other design, and although Lagoon has tried to discontinue production numerous times, sailors keep demanding the Lagoon 38 - there’s a good reason.

I have never heard anyone who has owned or just sailed the 38 who didn’t think it was a fine boat for it’s price point. I have a Lagoon 42 and love it. My wife and I intend to live aboard, sail the Caribbean, and do the coconut milk run. If we were staying strictly on the U.S. east coast and Caribbean, the Lagoon 38 would be our boat.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:12   #12

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You mean the Lagoon 380.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:15   #13

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You mean the Lagoon 380.
Yes, the Lagoon 380 - I apologize for not using the proper name.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:08   #14
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

We looked at (and were on board) both the 38 foot Leopard and the 38 foot Lagoon 380. We liked the 380 much better-enough headroom almost everywhere for my 6'4" husband, and just generally felt more spacious. We were also on a FP Mahe, and it felt cheaply made and not holding up as well as the Lagoon and the Leopard. We got as far as the cockpit of a Manta 42 and turned around and walked out because it was yechh on the inside.

We were looking at cats around 10 ish years old, and ended up buying a Lagoon 380. Happy with it so far except geez the maintenance is every bit as expensive as predicted, and it was a very clean/maintained boat.
Passion should believe itself irresistible. It should forget civility and consideration and all the other curses of a refined nature. Above all, it should never ask for leave where there is a right of way. -E.M. Forster
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 13:51   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post

We were looking at cats around 10 ish years old, and ended up buying a Lagoon 380. Happy with it so far except geez the maintenance is every bit as expensive as predicted, and it was a very clean/maintained boat.
i'm about to buy a 380 as well. Could you elaborate on the maintenance?

Engine, electrical, rigging ? It seems to be a fairly "maintainable" boat, re; working space. Both ER are walkaround
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, leopard, Nautitech