Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 13:12   #1

$350,000 To Spend Owners Version 41'45'

Dear new friends:

When I asked my wife what she thought living on a cat would be like she replied "walking around in a bikini all day and driving the dingy to the beach". Me, I'd like some performance and safety for extended cruises along with good electronics. She, owners version with a good mirror in the vanity along with an up galley. We will probably do some chartering to supplement the budget for beer, wine, maintenance. If you had $300-375K what would you purchase? We plan to sail from Annapolis to Caribbean and then to who knows where. We can pick up a boat anywhere. Gunk holing is fun as are tying up at marinas. We would tend to avoid turbulent waters and foul weather whenever possible but we, no I, understand Mother Nature is not predictable. The boat must be reliable and if possible a little sexy too! I look forward to hearing your thoughts! We plan to buy into this lifestyle in 2012-13.
Rhendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: $350,000 to spend owners version 41'45' what should I buy

I know of a Manta 42 lying in St Thomas that is up for sale
Old 12-12-2011, 15:46   #3

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

We're tossing lines in the Fall of 2014 with a very similar plan to yours. We currently have a PDQ32 cat on the Lake Michigan, but will upgrade to a cat 42'-48' in the half million range. I think the St. Francis 44 and the Lagoon 420 are super roomy and can be in your price range if you search long and hard. If you are going to charter it, then buying a 4 bed/4 head can get you a lot more boat for the $. We want an owners version too, but it amazes me that it can be $100k more for the same boat in an owners version vs a charter version.
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 22:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

St Francis 44 would be a good bet (modesty prevents me from recommending Seawinds)

This one ORCA is still for sale I think? It appears to be a very nice boat. They certainly have a rep for good performance and strong build.

I dont think it has galley up though. Personally (and I dont want to get a thread drift going here) I would only ever have galley down.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 23:17   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I dont think it has galley up though. Personally (and I dont want to get a thread drift going here) I would only ever have galley down.

Even if you won the casket and could afford a 50ft cat ?????
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 00:09   #6

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
We want an owners version too, but it amazes me that it can be $100k more for the same boat in an owners version vs a charter version.
From what I've seen, the owner's versions usually cost more (used) because they typically have not been chartered (wear & tear) and often come with better gear because the owner is using it and not chartering. I know there are lots of exceptions, but I find that it's generally true.
Old 13-12-2011, 01:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Even if you won the casket and could afford a 50ft cat ?????
Yep. Did gladstone on a 52footer - galley down and was good
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 03:40   #8

There are cats with galley down that have a much better view outside and connection with the saloon than the St francis mentioned. Don't let your wife be put off by galley down until she has seen what's available.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 08:48   #9

These are very helpful comments. I am curious about the galley down vs. up comment. kathy likes to be part of the party and not separated from the group. Alos, she got a little woozy working up a lunch of a rolly polly Hatteras. She thinks being in an up galley would limit that feeling. Besides, I do most of the cooking at home; am I to believe I have a wife that wants to buy a boat and will take up more of the cooking! If so, bring it on!!!
Rhendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 09:59   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

No matter which side of the galley up/down decision, there will be times when you wished you had done the opposite.

If you get galley down, you will wish you had up when it's just a few of you, you're at anchor, and the cook wants to stay in the conversation (much of which may be in the cockpit), or when the sea state is calm, the day is nice, and someone's making sandwiches.

If you get galley up, you will wish you had down when you're trying to cook underway, the seas are up, and you really don't want yourself or the meal to go flying around the salon. You will also wish for it when more people show up for sundowners and you could really use the extra 40 to 50% of salon space taken up by your galley, also when all the dirty dishes are piled up, but the party is still happening and you really don't want to clean them, or look at them.

The issue of seasickness is more than anything else just having time underway so that your brain learns that it doesn't have to be nauseous. If I've been on land for several weeks and go out in swells, then I usually spend an hour or two "reminding" my brain that all is OK before it lets my tummy live in peace.

Overall, though, I'm not sure that making a decision on a boat solely on that criterion would necessarily be a good thing. (OK, maybe if you're a chef, but that's another entire story.) There are great (and lousy) boats with both up and down. Figuring out what you want in a boat is far more important. Then, whichever galley configuration you have, you either end up adjusting to the galley, or adjusting the galley to you! (Cheaper to adjust to the galley, though.)

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:09   #11

Great post by Intentional Drifter. Having a cat that has easy steps into the hulls makes galley down easier, plus my experience of galley up was sink, stove, fridge and minimal cupboards up while most of the food and plates etc wouldn't fit and had to be stored in the pantry cupboard down in the hull. This meant continual trips up and down while cooking and cleaning up. Perhaps a really big cat would fit all of this up, but it would have to be well over 40' I reckon or your saloon space would be too small.
Hiring a boat might help your decision but some of the nicest cats are not production boats so look around. Have fun.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:37   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

I will add one other factor that I think does come into play -- cats tend to become the "party boat" almost where ever you are. That has advantages and disadvantages. But, if you're sociable sorts of folks, then having the extra public space can come in very nice. For example, I've attached a picture of Orca's salon just before we were sitting down for a dinner with 14 on the boat! 8 were at the salon table, 6 in the cockpit, and we all had plenty of room. You can see the galley down off to the side and we use the top of the nav station/freezer as a buffet table (on the left). This same crowd were really party animals, too! The card games went on until well after midnight!

ID
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2130.jpeg
Views:	390
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	34741  

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:43   #13

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
A flybridge is great if you can get one,
I am biased but a Lagoon 440 if you could get one would be awesome, i mean do you really want to stink out the hulls cooking down there?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 21:52   #14

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
We're tossing lines in the Fall of 2014 with a very similar plan to yours. We currently have a PDQ32 cat on the Lake Michigan, but will upgrade to a cat 42'-48' in the half million range. I think the St. Francis 44 and the Lagoon 420 are super roomy and can be in your price range if you search long and hard. If you are going to charter it, then buying a 4 bed/4 head can get you a lot more boat for the $. We want an owners version too, but it amazes me that it can be $100k more for the same boat in an owners version vs a charter version.
In your price range of $500K, I'd buy this 2005 SMG 50 Plus - Boats.com and never look back. Do your research, A-Frame with ALL sails furling, 21 kts, and hybrid diesel/battery/electric drive is the way of the future. To the OP, your budget of $350K, there is a fantastic Outremer 50 in Granada 1999 Outremer 50 LIGHT - Boats.com As for me, still looking as my budget is only $250K if I want anything left in the cruising kitty.

I know, both are 5~10' longer than you wanted, but the performance, even under canvased, will have you smiling constantly. That is the 200+ mile per day smile.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 23:21   #15

Boat: too many

SMG 50 Plus "Number One"

I spend a lot of time at the nav station, so size and view is important to me.

Outremer 50 Light

Picture worth 999 words.
Not too shabby interiors for a racer/cruiser, don't you think?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote