Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 13:06   #1
cruiser

1160 Lite

I had nice thread going on about Gemini Legacy 35, but it was locked.
Well, I found the answer I had been looking for by then, so all good. I shall go with 105 MC if possible, and charter a Legacy before buying it.
This thread is about Seawind 1160 Lite. I'm pretty sure this one will also be locked. Before that happens, I'd like to hear the forum's opinions about them.
With its outboard design, it seemed to be tad bit easier to maintain and run. Possibly, the sailaway price would be a little over 400k, not bad for a Cat. Would it be an easy boat to own in the East Coast? Expensive to maintain? Or what ever info you'd like to share with me...
Thanks,
Lexi.
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 17:49   #2

Re: 1160 Lite

I was able,to go aboard an 1160 at Annapolis back when there were still boat shows. Thought the size was good and liked the outboard option in that the draft would allow you to go into areas that were shallow that most cats couldn’t. Also the price is good. And I,don’t know of another cat that is better for the price and size.
greycellgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 21:08   #3

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We have a Lite. Had it built to our specs, after having owned a Seawind 1000 for 12 years. Prefer the outboards to diesels. Came from a trimaran racing background, so appreciate a boat that sails well - this one does. I think Seawind's design brief is a boat that can be cruised by a couple, and sails well in light air, among other things. They do not design boats for the charter market, although some are chartered.

Our boat has twin 25 hp high-thrust Yamaha outboards. At full tilt, it will push the boat around 8 knots. We don't tend to push them that hard. And we tend to sail a lot, as the boat moves very well in light air. (And the outboards retract.) We took delivery of our boat in Feb 2019, in Miami. A month commissioning, then did a run thru the Bahamas for four months, and then across the Gulf of Mexico back to Texas. Traveled 2800 nm; motors had 220 hrs on them.

I don't think any more or less expensive to maintain than any other 38 ft cat. Seawinds are well-built in my opinion, which is why we bought this second one. They tend to hold their value. Not a lot of used ones for sale in the US. The tri-fold door system opens up the saloon to cockpit and you get the feel of a huge covered living space. None of the Seawind models have rooftop steering stations, and although people talk about visibility issues thru the glass windows, that is typically from people who have never sailed on the boat. Galley down - people either like it or not. Seawind has really opened it up with the pass-thru above the cabinets. Ninety percent of the time, its just my wife and I cruising on our boat, and there's never that feeling of separation. Large windows below make everything feel open. And ventilation is excellent.

You are spot-on re: price. After transport to US, taxes, factory invoice, etc., I think our total is a little under $450k. We toured the factory in Vietnam to see our boat being built as well. It's an impressive operation. Downside to a Seawind is that most models are into a two-year wait, and some are over four years. And they are not easy to find on the used market.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:00   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The Lite is a fine boat but if your talking in the 38' range then there's lots of competition in the used boat area. The Lagoon 380 had almost 1000 units built so plenty to choose from. Also choices from FP, Leopard, etc. All these are around $200K MOL.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:03   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The Lite is a fine boat but if your talking in the 38' range then there's lots of competition in the used boat area. The Lagoon 380 had almost 1000 units built so plenty to choose from. Also choices from FP, Leopard, etc. All these are around $200K MOL.

Just me, but I don’t put the Lagoons, Leopards and FP’s in the same class as the Seawind. Comparing apples and oranges?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Just me, but I don’t put the Lagoons, Leopards and FP’s in the same class as the Seawind. Comparing apples and oranges?
Yup, just saying that there are lots of choices in that size.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:26   #7
cruiser

Seawind cats don't look like swimming studio apartments. In East Coast, 1160 Lite could be a good option as brand new; I dunno about finding parts though. If used cats are considered, then 105 MC is a better choice. Leopards, Lagoons, and the new trendy cats make me feel like walking into a furniture store. IMO, buying cats is only good if you wanna live onboard for an extended period of time, otherwise just charter one for short vacations; you'llbe saving a lot in the long run.
laila23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 13:09   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila23 View Post
Seawind cats don't look like swimming studio apartments. In East Coast, 1160 Lite could be a good option as brand new; I dunno about finding parts though.
It's not the first time I have read it, but I don't understand the comment about finding parts for a Seawind? Everything electrical on my Lite is BEP/Mastervolt. (The only exception might be some of the breakers in the circuit box under the seat, but the panels are BEP.) The winches and blocks are Lewmar. The air con and built-in freezer are Dometic/Isotherm. The fridge is Isotherm. The mast cars are Harken, as is much of the deck hardware. The inverter, shore power charger, solar controller are all Mastervolt. The thru-hulls are Marelon, the pex is Whale fittings. The stereo is Fusion, the fans Caframo, and all of the instruments are B&G systems. Even the BBQ pit is Magma, although I opted for Southern Stainless unit which is Aussie (had it on my previous boat). The jib furler is Harken; the motors are either Yamaha (optional) or Honda (standard). The stove is ENO, the pumps are Jabsco, as is the toilet. The hatches are Lewmar.

I guess if you destroy a bow pulpit, or one of the front opening windows, Seawind would piggy-back it over on the next boat shipment from Vietnam. But unless you are buying a Maine Cat, which of the big cat makers are US-based? The factory people that I have dealt with over the years are either Vietnamese and speak very good English, or are Aussie and only slightly harder to understand. ;-) My French sucks, in comparison.

So where is the concern about difficulty getting parts?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 13:26   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
It's not the first time I have read it, but I don't understand the comment about finding parts for a Seawind?
That's why I said, "I dunno!?" Well, I know now. TY for sharing that with us. Big help!
Old 03-02-2021, 14:01   #10

Laila, cats are not cars. Most everything is supplied by other major manufacturers and are not specific to that particular boat. This is true for all the brands of cats. If you destroy the rudders then you might have to go thru Seawind but there's a US company who can make them for you and they can make them for your Lagoon too.
Old 03-02-2021, 14:36   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
cats are not cars.
I've never mentioned anything about cars. Fixing cars and boats are very different approches; two shall not be compared. Other than that, yes, you're right, replacing most parts shouldn't present a problem.
Old 03-02-2021, 15:09   #12

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Can you expand on your comment. Are you saying the Seawind a far better cat than the FP, Leopard or Lagoon or the other way around.

Greg H
L440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 15:20   #13
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Can you expand on your comment. Are you saying the Seawind a far better cat than the FP, Leopard or Lagoon or the other way around.

Greg H

L440

I much prefer the Seawind’s layout, performance and quality of build. I’m sure others would disagree.
Old 03-02-2021, 15:30   #14
cruiser

Quote:
I much prefer the Seawind’s layout, performance and quality of build. I’m sure others would disagree.
I agree with you.
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 16:14   #15
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
I agree with you.

Any idea why they locked the Gemini Legacy thread? I reread it and can see no reason for that action.