Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 11:37   #1

€100,000 28' Range Production Cat

I'm looking for a production catamaran in the range of 27ft to 33ft (max 10m) that sleeps 4 (at least 1 double), is transportable via road and/or by container and does not cost more than 100.000€ (preferable less). It should be possible to sail single handed. The accommodation can be quite basic (camper style). No enclosed bridge deck but some cockpit tent for those hot (or wet) days is needed. No fancy sailing equipment.

I'm planning to cruse the med. sea for approx. 1/2 year with my family (mostly island hopping but want to be able to store things for at week cruising without need to go to a marina). In search for an appropriate boat there turned up two solutions:
- buy a used cat (say 9m catalac, prout etc.) for about 30.000€ - there are plenty around and sell it afterwards
- buy a new small one with the properties described above, keep
This post is for the question what new cats are available at that price range. Most important - currently produced boats.
What I found so far (prices are of course base prices without vat - what i found out so far):
* Aventura 28 by indigo yacht - about 65.000€
* Woods design ELF 26 by multihullcenter (but on the small side) - about €70.000
Boats without pricing and/or producer would be for example:
* Sea Tribe 28 (but did not get any quote from them - so maybe will not be built any more)
* Havcat 27 (don't know who builds it and what it costs)

Do you know any other catamarans that matches that specification or know additional facts to the listed boats where price and producer is missing?

Thanks
Rainer
reachingstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:19   #2

Rainer,

The Sea Tribe is built in South Africa. The first one was sold and came to Florida where I had a chance to go aboard. Hull number two was revised with wheel steering and twin outboards vs. a single. I'm not sure if they ever sold it or not. Another boat to consider that would meet your design brief is the Wharram Tiki 30. There is a beautiful example of one here in Florida. PM me with an email address and I'll send you some photos.

Good luck
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:24   #3

I meant to say there is a beautiful example of one for sale here in Florida. It was built by the only licensed Wharram builder in the US. They are located in Jupiter, FL. The boat could easily be shipped via container. Pricing on the 30 is in the mid $80's US.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 12:02   #4

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Perhaps the Wharram Tiki 30 built by Boatsmith in Florida might work for you. He has gotten a lot of coverage lately, especially when a well-know sailing photographer chartered it in the Bahamas. Here are a couple of links:

BoatSmith Marine Carpentry offering high quality, service in all areas of yacht carpentry.

Pro-Built Tiki 30

Marshall
Old 27-10-2010, 12:51   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Rainer, the difficulty is with respect to being able to transport by container or on the road. In North Americal there is theTomcat 6.2, but it is smaller than your preferred size (in reality, only a weekender with accomodation under a canvass bridgdeck enclosure), albeit at much less money. Have you thought about a folding trimaran such as the Corsair F27 (or Farrier 27)? Folding amas will allow you to trailer it and the performance is excellent, although the accomodation is rather minimal.

You can probably also find a used F31 (with standing headroom and much more interior accomodation, but still trailerable in most areas) for about 100,000 euros.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:45   #6

I'm in contact with Boatsmith - 80k base price is quite on target - but it seems that the tiki 30(or 31) is a really small boat in terms of living space in the hulls. While it's clear that within 31ft space is limited the low hulls of the tiki are especially uncomfortable.

Any other suggestions - what are pricewise the next catamarans to buy?

Rainer
Old 01-11-2010, 11:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachingstars View Post
I'm in contact with Boatsmith - 80k base price is quite on target - but it seems that the tiki 30(or 31) is a really small boat in terms of living space in the hulls. While it's clear that within 31ft space is limited the low hulls of the tiki are especially uncomfortable.

Any other suggestions - what are pricewise the next catamarans to buy?

Rainer
Well I cruised in a Tiki 26 for a coupla years and it was fine for my 6'2"... only large singles bunks in the hulls but then at sea with one on watch thats all one needed.
At anchor I had a dome tent I could set up in 10 minutes which took a double airbag with room to spare... so a 31 would be much roomier I reckon...
Have you actually tried sailing the Tiki's... you'd be pleasently surprised.
If thats not suited to you then maybe the Catalacs the way to go... your not really into camping.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
Our Tiki 36 has standing headroom in both hulls and a separate head compartment as well as a larger galley and wider bunks. The T36 is also transportable in a single container or on a single trailer. The Tiki 38 is too big to move in one can or on one trailer, but does offer much more room. The Tiki 30 is considered a backpacking boat, it also sails very well for the accommodations provided.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09   #9

'Camping style' has quite a broad range - from very basic to luxury. I think I fall in somewhere in the middle. A Tiki 26 would be ok for me alone but not for 4 persons (my kids, my wife and me)
So it seems the Tiki 36 would be a possibility - the question is if it falls within my budget?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Rainer
Old 03-11-2010, 11:34   #10

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
I seriously have to echo the statement that you should be at least evaluating the corsair/farrier type boats. meets your needs, and in reality is the best road trailerable option.

a c31/f31/f9 center cockpit is ideal if you can find one.

cheers,
Old 03-11-2010, 13:47   #11

I looked a while at the corsair/farrier type boats but:
* the possibility to trailer (versus road transport) is not important - I do not own a car that can tow whatever kind of boat. If I have to involve a tranportation company anyway the prices seems not to much to differ as long the basic road transportability is given.
* the 'secure' living space is (in my opinion) on a cat greater than on a trimeran - with nets on the railing my son (2.5) could move around our charter cat very well - would difficult to have the same area on a trimeran.
* as new they are over my budget
* if I buy a used boat there are a lot possibilites - the question that bothers me in this thread is, wether you can get a new catamaran at around 100.000€.

Rainer
Old 03-11-2010, 13:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Check out things in here..... James Wharram Designs - Wharrams for sale

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:49   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Rainer, a couple of points with respect to the cat versus tri debate:

1. The F31/C31 can be transported without being broken down (as will be required with a Tiki 36 or equivalent.
2. The accomodation on a cat that does not have bridgedeck accomodation is really not superior to a tri; further, it divides up the accomodation so that in inclement weather, you and your children will have to go on deck and cross over to the other hull to move from galley/dining area to berths.
3. Resale value on the F31/C31 is excellent, whereas the typical glass over plywood construction of many Wharrams (and the fact that many were homebuilds of questionable quality) will have a decidedly negative impact on resale.

If you haven't been aboard or sailed on one, I wouldn't write them off quite so quickly. On the other hand, if true trailerability is not an issue, you are absolutely correct that there are many choices in production cats at, or below your budget.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 18:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachingstars View Post
I'm looking for a production catamaran in the range of 27ft to 33ft (max 10m)
I think in this size, the cats from down under offer the best bang for the buck. If it were me, I'd be looking at something like this;

Grainger Raider 302 Sailing Catamaran: Sailing Catamaran for Sale - Foam Sandwich Sail Boats - Queensland (Qld) - Gold Coast Qld
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:22   #15

Re: €100,000 28' Range Production Cat

Hi Rainer,

Looking around in the forum I found this post of your about the small catamaran. I am very much looking for something quite similar given that I am planning, as you did, to go sailing in the Med for a few months with two young kids.

I was just wondering whether you found what you were looking for?
How did it work?

Carlo
CarloB is offline   Reply With Quote