Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 10:22   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Your Favorite Seaworthy Vessels 40-48' with Comfortable Digs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeachman View Post
Love my Morgan 461 (462 very similar). Small kids needs baths and these came with a tub. Shallow drafts were made, 5.2' I believe.
I agree with Deadhman, but I am biased as an owner of a Morgan 462. The 461 is a sloop rig, the 462 is a ketch, otherwise essentially the same boat. Not the fastest or sexiest, but seakindly, strong solid-fiberglass hull, plenty of space for a family of four, and can be found pretty reasonably priced. If you decide to use the bathtub for anything other than storage, make sure you have a high-output watermaker! Actually, for a family of four, a watermaker is pretty much essential.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:18   #17

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeachman View Post
Love my Morgan 461 (462 very similar). Small kids needs baths and these came with a tub. Shallow drafts were made, 5.2' I believe.
Amen. 5-3 standard 462 draft, $900 option for deep (6) and ketch add-ons.

You will be glad of the depth when you go ocean cruising. We're 7' (waterline keeps rising as we add stuff, provisions, fuel, water, etc.) and LOVE the Bahamas.

461s were the charter versions. You may be able to find one with the walk-through sea berths (not redone into something else), which is ideal for kids. A friend had a 462 cruising the Bahamas; 2 boys in the sea berths, and two girls in the aft, u-shaped (full unless expanded as many have done, athwart). He now runs a sailing school near Annapolis, and will go cruising again when the last two are out of HS.

These are not easy to find; there were only 47 461s made, and I know that there were at least 114 462s, as I know/knew of 110-111-112-113-114 over the last 13 years, but they are highly prized cruising boats.

Search for a 2007 post I did "I learned about sailing from that" wherein proof is shown as to how stout these boats are; we're sailing the same boat 11 years later. You can find LOTS of pix of this and other examples in my gallery (see sig line).

Have fun looking!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 13:38   #18

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E View Post
It may be a bit out of your price range, but the Norseman 447 is a fast, well built vessel and a delight to live on.

I was going to suggest this as I just purchased one myself. Love the boat. The 6' 5" draft might be a deterrent for them.
Old 04-05-2018, 13:59   #19

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There are probably hundreds of good candidates, but if the Jeanneau fits your budget and makes your heart skip a beat, then that’s the one I’d say.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 14:43   #20

Boat: Bristol 40

Bristol 40 with the keel centerboard option. 4' draft with the board up and 7'6" board down. Great seaworthy boat and shallow enough for the Bahamas.
Offshore1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 18:07   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Brewer 42
Whitby 42
Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 19:27   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Comfortable living quarters for 2 small kiddos, ages 3-5, on a boat with 2 adults: Is an oxymoron.
Even a boat in a Marina.

In the open ocean with weather, you cant even find a boat, 50' or less, that is comfortable for adults.

Maybe we have different definitions of "comfortable"
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 21:08   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Comfortable living quarters for 2 small kiddos, ages 3-5, on a boat with 2 adults: Is an oxymoron.
Even a boat in a Marina.

In the open ocean with weather, you cant even find a boat, 50' or less, that is comfortable for adults.

Hmmm, good point. It's all relative, ain't it.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 21:59   #24

Have a long look at a Moody around 42 feet, great sailors and wonderful layout. 2 side bunks plus a v berth and an amazing aft cabin.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 23:23   #25

Boat: Swan 432

Maybe an older Alden 44/45, centerboard. There was one on YW a few years ago for about $100K, beautiful boat.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:29   #26

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

With a budget of $150k and your requirements, my approach would be an older well built boat for $100k, with $50k set for upgrades. We love our Pearson 424.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:52   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

We love our ‘87 Irwin 43 MkII - offshore, inshore, hook, ball, slip, under sail, under power and on passage - comfortable in all regards.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:28   #28

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Lagoon 380 older vintage, put a spinnaker sprit on it and you will be 40ft and have lots more space and draft less than 4 ft.
Another vote for the Lagoon 380. Four people, including two kids, long term on a monohull would be challenging in my book. A cat gives you space and privacy that you can't get otherwise.

The older 380s are down into around your price range at this point. Would be a great family boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 14:03   #29

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Another vote for the Lagoon 380. Four people, including two kids, long term on a monohull would be challenging in my book. A cat gives you space and privacy that you can't get otherwise.

The older 380s are down into around your price range at this point. Would be a great family boat.
I have to agree here. With 4 people a cat is your best option. Plus you'll get a shoal draft boat which will make things a lot less stressful in Florida & the Bahamas.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 15:42   #30

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Even a boat in a Marina.

OP, don’t pay attention to this ill-informed posting.

One can see families with young children cruising and crossing oceans on all sorts of yachts of all sizes: monohulls, catamarans, trimarans (rarely). Comfort is relative and either your family, children in particular, will get used to the motion of whatever yacht you choose, or they won’t. If not, other than a cruise ship, most likely no cruising sailboat will suit. But that’s not likely - most people are very adaptable.

Your kids are still quite young, but eventually they will want private space. Not just the kids, but the adults as well. On relatively small yachts privacy is at a premium, but at the very least there should be a couple of spaces above or below deck where one of you can get some alone time ‘away’ from the boat and the rest of the family. When I was cruising with my parents from 9-13 a favourite spot of ours was under the upside down hard dinghy we stored on the foredeck. If someone was under there, the rest of us knew to not bother them unless it’s life threatening.

Enjoy the process of finding your yacht. We certainly did, but have to confess we bought a few years early. No regrets!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaworthy