Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 19:34   #76

Boat: 1965 Finisterre/ Sparkman&Stephens based.
Re: Why do monohulls have sails?

mm i havent really noticed really, , BUT can someone tell me why CAts are always motoring upwinds??? Looks like they just cant sail properly upwinds...
diegomaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 21:13   #77

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomaio View Post
mm i havent really noticed really, , BUT can someone tell me why CAts are always motoring upwinds??? Looks like they just cant sail properly upwinds...
Thats because we passed you to windward hours ago and are motoring into the marina. I saw your sneaky bit of motor sailing to try and catch up with that damned multihull though.

dum te de, dum te day.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 22:17   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have decided a survey is the best way to answer this question, so here goes.
In the last few minutes there are two cruising yachts that have entered our anchorage:

This one is a multihull. They don't have a motor so my estimation is they sail 100% of the time. They even left their mainsail up at anchor.

I am also pretty sure this other one motors 100% of the time. The guests won't row worth a dam.

The unmistakable conclusion is that multihulls sail 100% of the time and monohulls motor 100% of the time. My sample size may be a little small but there can be no doubt that these rigorous scientific results are in keeping with much of the standard that has graced this important topic on Cruisers Forum on recent threads .

I am off to photograph their anchors. Anchor threads are much safer .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 22:32   #79

Boat: 1975 NORTHSTAR 80/20 40' KETCH CENTER COCKPIT

I LOVE YOU GUYS! THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO WHEN I NEED TO SMILE. I'M GOING BACK TO THE D.R. - LUPERON, TO GET MY "MONO HULL" READY FOR MORE "CRUISING" FINALLY! SHE IS A NORTHSTAR 80/20 40' WITH AN 80HP FORD LEHMAN DIESEL-SHE IS BULLET PROOF AND WILL TAKE YOU ANYWHERE YOU WANT TO GO - WITH OR WITHOUT THE SAILS UP - BUT I DO USE THEM A LOT. CAPT. CARROLE
SVCASSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:41   #80

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

One of the funniest threads in a while.

KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:06   #81

We motor to keep our wives happy.

Seriously though I notice more monos as well as multis motoring nowadays than say 20 years ago. I think the reason is that there are such good motors available for yachts now than there used to be. A common motor use for me would be with no sail up coming back into Auckland harbour into a 1,1/2 knot outgoing tide and a 30 / 40 knot westerly headwind. Why try to sail in those conditions if you can motor straight into it?
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:00   #82
CLOD

Boat: none

I use the engine when I need to just like anything else on my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-07-2015, 05:15   #83
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have decided a survey is the best way to answer this question, so here goes.
In the last few minutes there are two cruising yachts that have entered our anchorage:

This one is a multihull. They don't have a motor so my estimation is they sail 100% of the time. They even left their mainsail up at anchor.

I am also pretty sure this other one motors 100% of the time. The guests won't row worth a dam.

The unmistakable conclusion is that multihulls sail 100% of the time and monohulls motor 100% of the time. My sample size may be a little small but there can be no doubt that these rigorous scientific results are in keeping with much of the standard that has graced this important topic on Cruisers Forum on recent threads .

I am off to photograph their anchors. Anchor threads are much safer .

Can we assume from your interest in this thread we will be seeing an epic " photos of yachts sailing" thread in the near future noëlex?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:47   #84

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
The channel here is wide, traffic minimal, and no draw bridges for many miles. Winds are often, if not mostly, favorable. So why are they motoring?
IME, the ICW in central Fl looks wide, but the dredged and marked channel is only 100 yards (give or take) wide. While it is often possible to sail, it is rarely prudent to do so.

We often wondered why so many sailboats (mono and multi) motor everywhere, and our working theory is that they are pressed by schedules/deadlines. We sail as much as possible, but when the wind has disappeared, we've been forced to motor/motor-sail to meet our planned/expected arrival dates/times.

On the topic, we've also wondered why so many boaters will motor with the sails up - as opposed to motor-sailing, I'm referring to situations where there is no wind and the sails are hanging limp or flogging themselves to death and clearly adding nothing to the propulsion? This is common on the ICW, but we've also seen it in open water. I should point out that none of these boats display a motoring cone. Who do they think they're kidding?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:23   #85

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I use the engine when I need to just like anything else on my boat.

Of course you do! But you still flush the TP you bad boy.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:50   #86
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Of course you do! But you still flush the TP you bad boy.
Along with crap, because that's what you do on a civilized boat
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08   #87
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Being a long time cruiser from Florida I can tell you without a doubt why you see so many vessels heading toward the Bahamas motor sailing. Our prevailing winds are out of the Southeast and in order to compensate for the Gulf Stream we must take a South Easterly heading outward bound. With enough manipulation and a little luck we will hit the banks just North of Memory Rock and then we can take less radical course lines to our destination. Also if you apply common knowledge the reverse allows for full sail although close hauled going back home. We motor then mainly because we want to make the passage as quickly as possible and to reduce Northing by a the stream. I'm afraid in this time critical world most folks can't afford the time it takes to be a purest!
So, got an explanation for why the overwhelming percentage of Snowbirds motor over 1000 miles to get to their jumping off point in the fall when prevailing conditions often favor sailing, and many continue to motor most everywhere around the Bahamas once they get there, then motor back up the ICW in the spring when, once again, the prevailing conditions can so often favor sailing, instead?

;-)

Or, why I witnessed more than a few cruisers motoring DDW in 25 knots on a perfect day on the Chesapeake a few weeks ago?

;-)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1841917
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 16:22   #88

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I've had a few beers after yet another overnight passage, so I think this thread needs a slew of jokes along the lines of 44'cc as chuck Norris. Who's with me? I'll start.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 16:23   #89

44'cc believes in sail efficiency so much, he doesn't reef his main, he changes mains entirely!

Old 06-07-2015, 16:26   #90

44'cc and kenomac were having a few drinks at the bar, heatedly discussing the advantages of monos and multis. Kenomac at one point became so offended, he threatened to report 44'cc to the bartender if he didn't withdraw his last comment about monos being worth more for the scrap value of their lead than as a sailboat. 44'cc refused, and kenomac hit him one in the face.
44'cc, strangely, didn't fight back, but rather smiled in a superior way, put his hand down and shouted 'leeward board' down! Then, whispered viciously to kenomac, "that's the way I like my winds too, right on the nose!"

Tags
hull, monohull, sail, sails