Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 23:50   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Where to put a 20m steel yacht on the hardstand?

Double U I don't think Tim is a troll. I have been involved with plenty of projects like this that are in unusual places.
Some of these guys have no idea how much they are biting off until they get involved. I almost got caught myself when I purchased a cheap 50 foot cat that was 200km inland. The first quotes to move her were shocking, eventually I found the right guy and the whole project looked more feasible. Luckily the wife knocked my rose tinted glasses off and I sold that project straight after I trucked her to the coast. The irony of that story is the guy who purchased her trucked her back inland to his peanut farm.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:27   #17

Boat: no boat any more

guys like that are totally overrepresented here "in the forest", what with us being landlocked & all any number of nuts start building boats three times the size they could handle. Not far from here at the bank of the Danube there is a 47' Van de Stadt (twin sterntubes for 2 engines!), round bilge aluminium! The guy who started the project died, now the bare shell, open to the weather, is waiting for it's new owner to work on it. I pass it on the bike from time to time - nobody to be seen, hull-portlight-cutouts open, companionway open...The guy had a piece in a paper here where he talked about "dive-charter in Thailand" in the future & in 2 years in the Aegean.
(mind you, transport to the water would not be a big issue, the Danube is only a few hundred meters away. He'll need period with a high water level though with his draft...)
Old 06-12-2021, 06:57   #18

The OP has a You Tube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_s...CcIn3BDw/about

No content posted as of yet, but they have a Patreon acct. setup and ready to go
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:58   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

A 40 ton boat. Crane hire , convoy exceptionel , route management , police

Sell it for the scrap value buy a nice 39 foot grp job

Go sailing
Old 06-12-2021, 15:01   #20

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
A 40 ton boat. Crane hire , convoy exceptionel , route management , police

Sell it for the scrap value buy a nice 39 foot grp job

Go sailing

Yup - thats the best suggestion so far!
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:37   #21

Goboatingnow you read my mind. The only problem is scrap steel is worth 16 cents a kilo. So maybe $6,400 for the hull? If Tim is real lucky they might have used lead for ballast so roughly nine ton at $1.65 a kg is $14,850. So you might get $20,000ish before the cost of cutting her up. But if the more common steel punchings has been used for ballast then your looking at $8000 total scrap value for the hull before cutting up costs. There might be some good gear on her that you could sell, but I usually find once a boat has reached project stage everything is worn out and worthless.
In the last year I have seen a number of projects sold for a $1 just because the maths does not ad up unless your given the boat. I know one 55 footer recently that sold for $10,000 and I am watching from the side lines to see if he succeeds or fails........
Cheers
Old 06-12-2021, 18:55   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Maybe.

But he has yet to share pictures or the boats condition.

It is possible he has a gem.

Not likely but possible.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:54   #23

The OP has 1 post... the opening post of this thread.

His profile page shows last activity that day...

Maybe he's busy working on the yacht as we speak.

Shouldn't be too hard for an internet sleuth to find pics of a 60 steel yacht for sale on the hard in Melbourne...
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:07   #24

MyCatLife I tried to find it as soon as the thread appeared but nothing came up. The closest I got was this Adams 45 that is close to Melbourne. Put a big bow sprit and davits and you might get close to 60 feet.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/some...cht/1192320525

Cheers
Old 08-12-2021, 03:07   #25

Thanks F&A.

I did a cursory search as well,... to no avail.

Hoping the OP resurfaces with more info and photos...
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:32   #26

Boat: Custom Steel Cutter, 40Ft

I have problems moving my 7M steely. Was it fabricated where it lies? I hope its not far from the water! I know of a man who built a 60ft wooden hull in his backyard only to find out that once it was complete, it could never be moved from its place of origin. Simply too big for road transport.
keelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:30   #27

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Sounds like it could be a beautiful world cruiser. Good luck my friend
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:04   #28

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

Good on you Capn Ken.
The rest of these idiots assume the worst and don’t offer the op any useful information or support.
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:48   #29
Marine Service Provider

I’m from Melbourne and Melbourne is a very large city. Let us know where the yacht is located and I’ll tell you what I know about being able to help and where it may be able to be moved to.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 13:50   #30

Boat: MARCO, San Juan Ranger 1956

I find myself in somewhat of a similar position, but with the added bonus of being located in an entirely different continent...Knowing what you are getting into and each step of the process before you bid/accept the vessel is the preferred method but hindsight and emotions are a bitch when buying a boat huh?!
IF your vessel is seaworthy, then you are in a MUCH better position than not. The transport to a yard will be the hardest part!! I am no help in that arena.
If you have not done so already, you should get a comprehensive survey. It should include an ultra-sonic on the hull. Let the surveyor know EXACTLY what you plan on doing and work together to get the survey in a way an insurance provider will accept. Better of course if you are already insured for another vessel! The same goes for registration documents. IF you have questions then the IMC will have all the answers. I wrote to the US version (NVDC) and got detailed specifics on each step. Insurance and registration seem to go hand in hand when dealing with a yard. I found several yards in the area that could handle 40tns of steel and sent each an overview of what I was doing and what I wanted/needed. I was direct and transparent about the budget, timeframe, and total scope of work. In my case, I am having the yard do all of the work. I am sure that opens doors and makes things easier. If you are planning on doing all of the work yourself then that will make it harder to find space. Most yards are full or very busy due to covid and the allure of YouTube stardom so space is at a premium. Some small to medium-sized shipbuilders may have space to let so good to check there with the added bonus of welders on site.
There is no easy route with the vessel you have chosen! It is big, heavy, and many facilities simply cannot handle it. Find a yard (google maps is your friend!) Insuring it will be easier than you think, just start making calls and be honest. Work with the yard and the Ins co at the same time to find what works. Use them to find and hire local service providers and get multiple quotes. The whole process is going to be about relationships and how you work and communicate with these people! I have found that most understand and are flexible once they see I am organized and detailed in my needs, plans and execution.

I wish you the very best of luck in your new adventure!
MuckAbout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardstand, on the hard, steel, yacht