Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 13:09   #1

Boat: Irwin, 44
CSY44/mid ship boarding ladder

I have a 1976 Irwin 44. Only four were produced because the design was soon purchased and became the CSY 44

My boat had a worn out stern boarding ladder when I purchased her and it is all but impossible to pull my still fit 63 year of frame up in to the boat.

I want a side boarding ladder that would extend well blow the water surface so that my friends in their 70s, can easily and safely climb aboard. This will require a length of about 70".

I want to be fold up and be able to switch from post to starboard.

I saw this ladder on a vessel being worked on . Does anybody recognize this ladder or have any idea who makes something similar? The owner is not accessible for me to ask.

Scanmar makes a ladder that may fit but it is well over $1,200 , without mounts, and is at least 4 weeks to make. I'm not opposed to the cost, being able to get in out of the boat safely , could be a life saver. But I'm concerned about having to do more extensive modifications once I get it.

If anybody with a CSY 44 or has some ideas I would be very grateful.

Or anyone with a similar boarding situation has suggestions I welcome them

Thank you, Tom Washio, S/V Rita Jane, Stuart FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	249579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	249580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	249581  
gtwashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:44   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: CSY44/mid ship boarding ladder

Have you seen this one? MYSTIC STAINLESS & ALUMINUM : THE FOLDAWAY PRICELIST
Several methods of fastening including track cars which slide on your Genoa track.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

My first thought was "I think one like that is going to cost $1,200." I was right on. I don't think you'll find something better than the mystic design or for less. That horizontal leg against the side of the boat is really important. Without it, the ladder becomes a lever trying (maybe succeeding) to take your rail off. With it, the ladder is at a comfortable climbing angle when deployed. Just don't sail away with it down....
Old 10-12-2021, 13:50   #4

Boat: Vagabond 42

I have a Vagabond 42. We have a mid ships boarding ladder that can be positioned at either of our mid ships gates. It does not fold and I hang it from hooks mounted to two stanchions and then tie at the 4 ends when underway. The ladder has two arms at the top that swing flat when storing or swing out and hook over my cap rail. It is 60" long with teak treads. It is a bit of a job to deploy it but it is very solid and easy to climb. My lowest tread extends about 12" below the waterline when deployed. When we get the hook down, I put the ladder down immediately, otherwise I couldn't climb onto the deck if I fell in! I recently bought a pull down rope emergency ladder because I used to worry about that.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 17:50   #5

Check out "Where is Brickhouse". The boat has a ladder that doesn't fold but swings 90 degrees back so it is horizontal and just outside the lifelines.

I'm not sure if they made their own ladder but I've never seen one like it anywhere else.

My boat had a mid ship boarding ladder that looked like a 1920's kids sled made out of wood. It hooked onto two bronze straps that are screwed to the hull. To use it you have to unstow it from midships, and then get the hooks into the strap without dropping the ladder. What I liked about the Brickhouse ladder is that it is always attached, plenty long and stows with a tug on a line.

I think the biggest challenge of the midship ladders is the tendency for them to swing under the side of the hull. I find that if my feet aren't in line with my hands, the ladder is very hard to climb. With the curve of the hull, supporting a long ladder down low is hard.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 18:16   #6

Boat: 42' vagabond

I tie a suitable size bumper low on the ladder to cushin against the hull. Keeping it straight vertical
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 20:29   #7

Boat: C-26

Oh my. What would Cap'n Ron do? Probably snatch the steps off a 6' stepladder and tie it to 2 stanchions. Then tie it to the lifelines when underway like we do our 6' gangplanks in Europe.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:19   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

If the ladder is angled outward from the hull instead of vertical, it is easier to climb. Angled like using a ladder to paint your house, vs. climbing a fire escape ladder.

Some ladders:

Custom Boarding Ladder | RI Boatwrights

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...arding-ladders

https://www.iboats.com/shop/anchor-a...t-ladders.html

http://www.craigmarine.info/accessor...ng_Ladders.htm

https://www.armstrongnautical.com/ar...rine-ladder-2/
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:19   #9

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

One step 12” under water is not easy to climb up. You need two steps or three under the surface...try a mock up in a pool.
As to rope “emergency “ ladders. If you enjoy technical rock climbing you will be ok. Cold water and any injury ? Hope you are kind to manatees. They might help you get back onboard.
I talk to a lot of sailors who have a sugar scoop stern and they believe they can get back onboard by themselves...easily. Not always the case. Not at all.
Try it one handed or in the dark or cold water.
We leave an led light on all the time. Our stern ladder can be pulled down...a cord and a tennis ball pull Velcro straps which hold the ladder to the stern. It has three steps below the sugar scoop.
If you have a rope / plastic step ladder, try it out . You might find it is a lot more difficult than you think.
You are not a green frog and your boat is higher in the water than a Lilly pad.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:52   #10

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

Simple, fast to implement, strong and cheap. Buy a good aluminium leaning ladder. A good ladder wont have rivets. The rungs will be pressed into the sides. Add brackets to the side of the boat. Use pins or bolts through the brackets and a hole in the ladders sides. Keep the ladder off the hull with a large fender at the water line tied to the ladder. To climb out of the water you need 3 rungs at least below the water line so you may want an extending ladder.
My 5 rung top of the line ladder cost less than $100. It is connected to my bow roller and is used to get off the boat when its med moored bow in. It weighs 3.5kg. I stow it along the stanchions where it is also useful as a mount for jerry cans.
I got quotes of $2,000+ for a custom made ladder. A week later and $100 spent I had a better solution.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:53   #11

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

On my CSY 44, Odyssey, I installed a wind vane on the transom. It was easy to climb up the frame of the wind vane. I never found a satisfactory mid-ship ladder. However, on my current MV I had a molded fender ladder that worked quite well. I gave it to my friend with the same boat as I have. Maybe the fender ladder would help?

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:11   #12

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and help. I am looking at the suggestions and comments.

I truly appreciate the help

Tom Washio
Old 11-12-2021, 08:13   #13

It only took me one time to be unable to use a rope ladder which went under the boat to buy the wonderful Mystic side ladder which they can customize to your combing. its so well made, but be sure to get the teak steps, much easier on the feet. They give excellent support in installing and it works!
bollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:14   #14

That sounds like a good idea. Do you have any photos?
Regards,

Tom Washio
Old 11-12-2021, 08:48   #15

I do have an image of the ladder folded on the side but need to figure out how to forward it. Looks like the one on one of the other posts. Mine mounts to a metal toe rail but they have several mounts for wood, on a track and legs to keep it from going under the boat. I have 6 steps. Worth the money.
bollard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csy