Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 22:36   #1

When is the price "too good" for a bluewater?

Hey all!

So I'm looking at a respectable Noon Ocean 34 near me, at a price which is low enough that it triggers alarm bells in my head: $29k Canadian. However it has been emphasized that the owner (having a a new yacht) "rather than repair this yacht, would rather compensate with a price reduction". Seems concerning, eh?

The broker is fairly up front about the issues:

- "Voids beneath the teak deck", but also no survey indication of water penetration or delamination of the deck core, nor that the teak is rotting in places from the bottomside up. Frankly, I have no idea what to make of such a claim? If there's voids being sounded, clearly something is going wrong up there? The deck, and upper hull, are both cored with Airex which I have read extremely conflicting reports about at this vintage.

- Cutlass bearing has "vanished" off the driveshaft and needs replacing before the shaft tube is warped / damaged, if it is not already. Propeller blades are also loose and require servicing / replacement.

- Bowsprit "requires refurbishing" (listed as a structural deficiency!)
- Pitting on cockpit coamings & painted topsides.
- Fridge is ancient and only intermittently working, replacement advised.
- Radar & SSB inoperable, VHF only.

I'm familiar with the history of the boat in question, that it survived a 14 year circumnavigation by Gillian West and the new owners have only had it a handful of years since she sold it.

It's a very nice boat, I feel like it would make an excellent liveaboard and I would enjoy puttering around the Salish Sea in it immensely. However, even if the owner is willing to come down significantly on the price, I get the nagging feeling that the cost of unforeseen repairs to ensure bluewater seaworthiness again may in fact exceed the listed price as is?

I need some strong words of advice.
Raincoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 04:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: When is the price "too good" for a bluewater?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Raincoast.

I suspect your fears may be justified.

Some info’ on these boats ➥ http://members.shaw.ca/webbiosis/TN/true_north_34.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 04:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincoast View Post
- "Voids beneath the teak deck"...
Very expensive to fix.

Quote:
- Cutlass bearing has "vanished" off the driveshaft and needs replacing...
Moderately expensive to fix. Becomes "very" if the driveshaft also has to be replaced.

Quote:
- Bowsprit "requires refurbishing" (listed as a structural deficiency!)
Depending on how much of the work you can do yourself, somewhere between a minor and a major expense.

Quote:
- Pitting on cockpit coamings & painted topsides.
Relatively minor expense to fix.

Quote:
- Fridge is ancient and only intermittently working, replacement advised.
If you can live without a fridge, not a big problem. If you cannot then easy enough to get an estimate for a replacement. Replacing it will be moderately expensive.

Quote:
- Radar & SSB inoperable, VHF only.
Neither radar nor SSB are an absolute necessity, so it is up to you as to whether or not you want to replace them.

To me, the problems with the teak decks alone would be enough to make me pass on it. But then, I live in Florida, where there are a LOT of decent older boats available, at very fair prices. In your location, I don't know. Maybe this is as good as you're going to find.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF raincoast !

I strongly second both above posts.... Spot on...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 06:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know nothing of the brand, but having bought an older boat myself will tell you many have issues, actually it was a 5 yr old boat that I had purchased that failed survey so maybe I should have said all boats have issues.
You may have found someone that literally can afford to simply dispose of the old boat and isn't interested in trying to squeeze the last dime out of it.
Anything you buy your going to have surveyed, right? Just decide if this one is worth a survey and if it's price is worth doing the work yourself.
If he just wants it gone, he would probably take 20K I would think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 07:28   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Run, don't walk away! These are problems not easily fixed and are signs of long term neglect, hard use and a bellweather of perhaps even greater issues down the track!
Lots of other great opportunities in the market, currently... Just my thoughts, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 07:52   #7

I must second the above call to run, don't walk away. My wife an I are coming back to the PNW, and we have looked at a lot of vessels in the Puget Sound area, I have the skill ant the ability to fix just about everything on the boat, and have walked away from boats that are in better shape than what you are describing.
As far as the Radar is concerned, I will not go anywhere in the PNW without it, The weather conditions can change so fast.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:11   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Hi Raincoast, this is Redhead on uhhhh Raincoast. I'm not trying to distract you from your very pertinent question, but I have one of my own.

What's up with Raincoast?

We bought this boat up in Pender Harbour BC and although I love the name, I just can't figure it. (I also found Raincoast crackers produced in Vancouver). Since most boat names are 1) happy ("Windsome") 2) some God or other from history (Thor) 3) a personality trait ("Persistent") I'm at a loss. A couple of people want me to change the name "because it's depressing". I won't because I have never heard another like it. And can you imagine how much the paint and artist would cost to change it 2x on the bow and a new transom board?

So what's up with Raincoast?

Thanks and if you're ever south of the Border stop in and see us, we're in Blaine.

PS One of the fishermen on the dock insists on calling us "Raincoats"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00733.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	111669  
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:22   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, Rehead... Love the name! Raincoast has been synonymous with the BC coast since I can remember (about 1943). Any of us oldsters who worked on the water in the PNW will remember that!
Lived in Pender Harbour, Egmont and Saltery Bay Area for many years.. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:36   #10

Thanks for the tough love everybody. I suspected the teak and driveshaft would make it a dumb buy, but when you're young and yearning for the sea it's too easy to justify away your gut instinct. I love the boat, but not the cost it represents!

Redhead: the BC coast is a temperate rainforest, and the rainfall north of Vancouver is staggering much of the year, hence the nickname from back in the logging days!
Raincoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:36   #11

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I'd jump on it with both feet. Solid cruiser with a Yanmar 3-banger for well under a boat buck per LOA. What more do you want?

Cutlass bearing won't break you. Radar can be rebuilt from most 2nd hand marine shops. Little need for a SSB in the Salish Sea. Pop in a wood burner and a clam shovel, deal with the decks down the road and start learning and having fun with your new home.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
"Raincoast" is a team of conservationists and scientists empowered by our research to protect the lands, waters and wildlife of coastal British Columbia.
Raincoast Conservation Foundation

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:41   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Thanks all, I figured it was something like that, but with weather changes, etc we're in a severe drought, so it just doesn't spring to mind immediately.

I've actually fallen in love with the name and wouldn't change it for the world.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:52   #14

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I purchased our Cape George 36, circa 1973, with a survey that showed very mild blistering and the fire extinguishers were out of date. Then, as the year was getting late, we left in 4 days from Seattle to Ventura, California in the middle of October. Many thousands of dollars of things gave up the ghost on that voyage, plus when we hauled her 6 months later after a few days the bottom paint fell off in huge sheets revealing a pox blistered hull I estimated at about 3,000 mostly dime sized blisters. Having up till then only owning 1 non racing boat it was impossible for me to just paint over it and go. We have been cruising now for a year and are glad we fixed so many things, but I have not had the heart yet to get the bag of receipts and total it up. With electronics, hull, refrigeration and some sail work and hundreds of other items we are between 25 and 35,000 into it now, with more to always be done. I think that particular boat you are looking at a money pit and a survey would reveal more and usage would reveal even more.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:56   #15

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

You know what, if your good at the teak repairs and you don't mind the other stuff, I would offer 1/2 the asking in cash! When I was in the boat business that was a standard offer, no one went much higher unless the boat was remarkable! This boat sounds to me to be a good 1/2 price candidate. Good luck!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, water