Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2022, 06:55   #1

What's the most seaworthy boat you can haul with a 1-ton truck?

I'm not talking about a little trailer-sailer to haul to the lake on weekends, but rather something capable of crossing oceans. What are some boats that I could haul on the rig shown? (Or something similar.) That's a 24-foot deck, and about 10,000-pound load capacity.

Just to be clear: I know such a haul would be a significant undertaking, and I don't intend to do it just as a casual 2-week vacation kind of thing. I have some land available in New Mexico where I can restore, build, and/or store a boat, and I would want to be able haul to the coast and be a backpacker-sailor for up to several years at a time and haul back when I'm done. Removing some equipment from the boat (to reduce weight) and hauling it separately would not necessarily be a problem, and likely still much less expensive than hiring a semi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trk-trl_1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	252139  
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 07:08   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: What's the most seaworthy boat you can haul with a 1-ton truck?

Well, the first one that always comes to my mind is the Flicka 20, and next her big sister the Allegra 24. Both are boats that have multiple ocean crossings to their names.
Old 30-01-2022, 07:12   #3

Boat: Hunter 46

It is not the weight of the trailer and boat, but the beam and height as you want to be within legal highway towing limit AND effort to raise and lower the mast, rig and de-rig by yourself. The forum will offer lots of examples but below is a partial list below to consider from https://improvesailing.com/questions...ailer-sailboat. More examples in these links:

https://www.lifeofsailing.com/post/9...able-sailboats
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...ilboat.167334/

Hobie 33
The Seaward 26RK
Nor'Sea 27 - LOA 27'
Macgregor 26M
Corsair F-28 Trimaran
Old 30-01-2022, 08:50   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’ve e always been partial to these for trailering:

https://corsairmarine.com/

https://dragonfly.dk/dragonfly-28
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:20   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well... what do you mean by seaworthy? A buoy would be the most seaworthy thing you could take, but it's not necessary to go with a lifeboat IMO. Webb Chiles sailed all over the place on a Moore 24. Definitely NOT a heavy displacement boat.

As a trailer guy told me once, it's not the capacity or stability of the trailer while it's standing still that's important, (and don't forget to add the weight of the trailer when calculating what the truck can handle.) While researching trailer options for my own boat it was pretty clear I might get by with a double axle, 5ooo lb each axle, it wouldn't have been the wisest thing to do, not just in terms of weight, but what if you get a blowout on one of the tires? I was advised to get a triple axle with electric brakes for an 8500lb boat. The trailer you show definitely looks substantial enough though for a 10,000 lb boat, though I'd take it to a trailer place to get advice on it, the axles and brakes needed.
All that said, if a heavier displacement hull is the preference, a Flicka is a possibility or Dana as mentioned, as is the Nor'sea 27. And then there is the venerable Albin Vega. You don't need to worry too much about the 8' limit, permits are obtainable. It's just that a boat that big, going over the 8' beam, may be too heavy. My boat is a good candidate, and I'd recommend the ol' Columbia 26 MK1 too as a good pocket cruiser, or the 24 if you don't mind going smaller. (You may do a search of "pocket cruisers.") A Cal 28 would be a good choice too IMO, but you'd need a permit for the 9' beam. Pearson Ariel and Triton should be on the list too, and the ol' Bristols... really the boats on Atom's list. But as I said, there are many good light boats displaying seaworthiness too out there.

Check this site for some good pointers:
https://atomvoyages.com/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:23   #6

As to size and weight, you are discussing day cruiser type sailboats in the range of 25 to 28 feet, maybe up to 30 feet. Many models to choose from and inexpensive to purchase and operate. Much simpler to just purchase one near the coast when you desire to use it then to haul it back far inland.

The purchase of such moderate sized boats typically come with their own trailer which can be loaded and unloaded by simply backing them down a boat ramp and have their own custom designed hull supports.

You don't need your flat bead utility trailer to haul such vessels. Such a flat bed rig would not avail the use of a boat ramp to launch and recover instead you would need a crane to lift to unload and load, plus would need to construct a custom support platform on the bed. A lot of bother and expense for no gain.

Golden rule: Keep it simple.

Bon voyage.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:27   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Several folks have circumnavigated on the Contessa 26 including 18 year old Tania Aebi.

Many more have crossed Oceans on them, but the are tiny boats.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/contessa-26

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Contessa 26.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	252141  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:37   #8

Boat: Nor'West 33

Nor'sea 27 as already mentioned would be at the top of my list with those criteria. I took a long, hard look at an Allegra as well, but she had just been neglected too long!
Old 30-01-2022, 10:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
I'm not talking about a little trailer-sailer to haul to the lake on weekends, but rather something capable of crossing oceans. What are some boats that I could haul on the rig shown? (Or something similar.) That's a 24-foot deck, and about 10,000-pound load capacity.
As mentioned, what's "seaworthy"? Just survivable, or competent and comfortable for living aboard and extended voyages?

It seems your two main requirements (trailerable, ocean-crosser) are at odds with each other.

In your shoes, I would look for a decent trailerable yet competent coastal boat, get lots of coastal cruising experience on that, and then when you're ready, buy a bigger offshore-worthy boat that's more suitable to extended voyaging.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 10:10   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Suggest you take your truck to an RV place.They can tell you how much it can safely tow without destroying the trans,etc.
Then check the oversized load rules:
https://www.chrobinson.com/blog/top-...zed-shipments/

Then,go shop for a boat to fit.
Cheers/Len
Old 30-01-2022, 10:12   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

Examples.

Contessa 26.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	270T315SB-for-1976-Contessa-26.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	252143   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0110-1-scaled-700x500.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	252144  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 11:49   #12

Just google the tow ratings of the specific truck you own, Year/Make/Model/and specific configuration thereof.

FYI: This is a CruisersForum regarding vessels, not a cruisersforum regarding trucks, so not the best place to be asking such subject matter.

But here you go, by way of example, linked below is to a chart that shows each configuration of a Chevy Silverado 1500 for 2022.

Note this is the trailerable weight which is the mass of the trailer Plus the load the trailer is carrying. Trailers are inherently heavy objects because they have to be able to provide dynamic support to the load they have on them.

As you will see there is not a lot of towing capacity for the residual weight of a boat loaded on to a trailer. That is to say, a smallish lightweight boat can be safely towed by a pickup truck.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/01...-towing-chart/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 11:49   #13

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

If you are talking about cruising voyages of up to several years at a time, why is it so important that you transport the boat yourself? Why don't you select the boat you wish to cruise on and then have it hauled to your site in New Mexico (or wherever) for long term storage. Seems like you are letting the wrong consideration drive your options.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 12:13   #14

So... you want a boat with fairly shallow draft probably as your trailer is not a drop center.. Norsea 27, Watkins, Etc. But maybe it's not too big a deal in smaller size boats. Figure you want maybe 12-13 ft max to the lifelines ON the trailer.
Lifelines 24"?
Hull sides to waterline maybe 30"?
Draft: Let's say 6 feet max.
Trailer deck ? 24?" off the pavement?

That all adds up to maybe 12'-6"
So doable with 6 ft draft.

I trailered a Contessa 26. I hated towing such a high height, a lot of windage up there with deep draft. Tippy too. I used a Diesel F250 and needed all of it.
Not a boat I would want to go offshore in anyway. Too narrow. So is the NorSea.

I guess I would look for a boat with the max legal hiway beam. 9 feet? and fairly shallow draft.

LOOK HERE:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ke-174548.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 12:17   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post

Just to be clear: I know such a haul would be a significant undertaking, and I don't intend to do it just as a casual 2-week vacation kind of thing. I have some land available in New Mexico where I can restore, build, and/or store a boat, and I would want to be able haul to the coast and be a backpacker-sailor for up to several years at a time and haul back when I'm done. Removing some equipment from the boat (to reduce weight) and hauling it separately would not necessarily be a problem, and likely still much less expensive than hiring a semi.
================================
you have been given several boats that meet your criteria as seaworthy.
check each one for weight using
SAILBOATDATA.COM
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, seaworthy