Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 07:59   #1

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter
Westerbeke 44B Raw Water-Alternator Conflict

I am hoping I may be able to learn from someone else's pain and or ingenuity. I have a Westerbeke 44B motor mounted in a sailboat. Every part diagram and the company's sale literature for the motor shows the water pump">raw water pump mounted on the front side of the motor. In my case, the pump is mounted facing aft. As you can imagine, this presents enormous challenges accessing the raw water pump to service the impeller. Everything has to be done by feel.

I am assuming this ill thought out modification was done in order to mount a larger 90 amp alternator vice the standard 50 amp alternator. The larger alternator requires a special bracket which then moves the alternator into conflict with the v-belts.

I would like to remount the raw water pump on the front side of the engine where it is easily accessible. The mechanics of moving the pump seem very simple. The question is how I can resolve the alternator conflict issues. I would be willing to ditch the 90 amp alternator and buy a smaller unit, but I am hoping someone might have other solutions. The possibility of mounting some form of belt tensioner/guide comes to mind. I am also wondering if there might be newer alternators that can deliver the higher amps in a smaller package. Not paying the high Westerbeke part costs is a consideration as well, though at this point I will pay almost anything to avoid another season with the aft facing pump.
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, raw water, water, westerbeke