Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 09:11   #46

Re: Viewing a boat by proxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I also really like that Cape Dory 30, and am trying to get as much info on her as I can (remotely). I have a few friends out in NY, but none of them are boat experts. I might be able to coerce one of them into paying the boat a visit anyway.

I've always had a soft spot for ketches, but when I moved to looking at smaller boats, I sort of settled on the more standard sloop rigging. I know people either hate ketches or love them, but I love them. I'll justify it by saying it might make single-handing a little easier.

--

Yeah, the Contessas look like wet boats, and the low standing room might bother me given that I'm 6'. But I also really like them -- maybe it's just because of Maiden Voyage.

The Rawson is pretty low on my list for the reasons you outlined (not high quality, but gets the job done). However, they tend to be well priced, and they are numerous examples on the market along the West Coast.

Ironically though, the one on the market that I like most (from photos) is in NC:
1969 Rawson Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
That old Rawson doesn't look bad at all. I've heard the early ones don't have cored decks, (?) which... while they flex a bit walking in places on the foredeck, you wont have core problems! I will say this, in a blow it was one of the driest boats I ever had... drier than my 47 ft!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 10:59   #47

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
"We have lost interest in sailing and need it out of our yard. Boat does need some work but needs to be seen. It is a classic and I have been putting off letting her go but don't have the time to fix her up."

Not very confidence inspiring. The basic message is "Good things about the boat: it's a classic. Bad things about the boat...everything else."

Most boats being sold because the owner "lost interest" have suffered from neglect in some form or another. But if you're willing to go look at it for the OP and know enough to evaluate it's condition, go for it.
Your comments are valid, which is likely why the boat is still for sale.

BUT:
$3k in new sails from the local sail loft
$2k in receipts for new gear from the local chandelry
New standing rigging

I'm always in favour of buying a boat from someone with deep pockets who spent lots on the boat already, so I don't have to.

And at the asking price $2,000 cdn, you could spend another $5k and it would still be a good deal...because its a very solid, well reviewed production boat. And to top it all off...those are canadian dollars...thats actually less than $1500 USD....asking price.

If I'm not careful, I might have to buy it myself, then take lots of pictures of me enjoying it in the caribbean just to prove the point!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 11:24   #48

Boat: Westsail 32

Update: That Cape Dory 30 Ketch -- its been sold, but not to me. That thing went fast. Definitely was on my top 5. It was one of you guys, wasn't it .

I like the Bristols too, and the boat looks decent from the photos, but the comments from the owner have me nervous. I'm looking for a 3-month project, not so much a 6-12 month one. However, I'm adding it to my list and contacting the owner to see what "needs to be done". I'll let you know, thanks for pointing it out!

Yeah the Rawson 30 in NC is pretty good as far as Rawson 30s on the market go. I have family out there, and might go visit them as an excuse to see the boat -- but right now there are other boats closer to me and higher up on my list.

There are a couple Craigslist boats I'm keeping an eye on too:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...045926363.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/6028072953.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/6027142799.html

Actually, regarding the Vega (first link above), I'm a bit skeptical of her condition after finding the guy's website: http://americanvagrant.com/albin-vega-photos/
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 13:41   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

BUT:
New standing rigging

I'm always in favour of buying a boat from someone with deep pockets who spent lots on the boat already, so I don't have to.

And at the asking price $2,000 cdn, you could spend another $5k and it would still be a good deal...because its a very solid, well reviewed production boat. And to top it all off...those are canadian dollars...thats actually less than $1500 USD....asking price.

If I'm not careful, I might have to buy it myself, then take lots of pictures of me enjoying it in the caribbean just to prove the point!
I didn't see those details... wow, good thing I don't live closer, I'd buy it too.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 13:59   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

BUT:
New standing rigging

There are other factors though. The cost for me to relocate will be more than the cost of the boat itself.

However, I'm interested. Let me see what the owner says -- I may ask you of you to take a look at the boat for me if things seem promising, and I'd happily pay you for your time and effort.
Old 18-03-2017, 15:23   #51

The Bristol has been sold already.

Tags
boat