Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 14:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1
Twin rudders in a Marina

Just getting used to a new boat with twin rudders.Really enjoy the benefits when sailing, but I’m struggling to work out the bestbstrategy in marinas and other tight areas. With no prop was over the rudder, you only get steerage when you have 2-3 knots of boat speed. I have a bow thruster but that can have negative effects sometimes. Any advice from others with twin rudder experience. I could turn my previous yacht on a dime with no bow thruster and just using prop wash to bring the stern around.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 14:57   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Re: Twin rudders in a Marina

My boat has the twin rudder with sail drive setup. I find it easier to maneuver than with single rudder and shaft drive.

2 to 3 kts to maneuver? Gosh, that is a lot. I have the boat in the slip with bow first. When departing, I back out and the rudders are effective by about half a knot. Going forward maybe a little more is needed.

After I bought the boat I hired an instructor to learn how to handle this configuration since it was new to me. After a couple of hours I understood the handling. More practice later and I got kind of comfortable. Perhaps you should check on sail academies in your area.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:22   #3

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

I’m in the Med with tight marinas and always stern to the dock.Even when moving forward I don’t get any turning moment until probably 2-3 knots
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 19:22   #4

Boat: Hunter 380

its a big difference! I have a center hung rudder but have chartered twin rudders in the med. You have to get your steerage in reverse and pretty much commit to the line you take and let the thruster take care of the bow. Start backing with plenty of room. hard forward to stop of course. I was in Greece with a guy that couldnt get it through his head that gunning in forward and spinning the help had no effect when dead in the water
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 21:01   #5

Boat: Island Packet 349

Sail magazine recently had an article on the subject. You may find it helpful. I am surprised you do not get steerage below 2 knots. Something is not right.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruisin...h-twin-rudders
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder