Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2007, 05:52   #16

The reason for the access to the anchor locker above your bunk will become clear after you anchor a few times. The hawser hole on deck where your chain/rode feeds into the locker is small to keep water out. What happens when that line gets a kink or knot and won't fit back up the hawser? You have to go down below and free it. I always like to have two anchors and rodes ready to deploy. Same issue if one rode gets laid on top of the other. Also you need access in there to tie the rode to something fixed like an eye bolt in the locker so that the line doesn't get accidently fed all the way out and off the boat. You don't always have the luxury of cleaning your ground tackle as it comes back aboard, there will come a time when you just need to get it back on board, mud,dirt, grass, and all and get going. Then you have to go back in and clean the locker to make sure the drain at the bottom stays clear. In other words, having that access to the anchor locker is pretty important.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 06:19   #17

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
"I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it" is an old adage we use here when looking at building in redundancies from a safety aspect. Sure you can do most things under sail, but it don't get any easier as the years go on, and I've never yet witnessed a bow thruster that was necessary (except on a huge car ferry). An outboard engine on a 30 footer will not have a prop getting full purchase in a rough sea - with a blow and a lee shore that's your home at risk! Don't mean to harp on about it, looks like the others changed your mind anyway - my main concern is the purchase to refurb ratio in your plans - why not reverse it, spend €45-50 k on a properly fitted boat with enough space to keep an inboard and spend 10-15k upgrading to your needs - chances are you'll have a more solid and stable platform to call home for the rest of your days! Anyway, best wishes - by the way, a friend has a homemade stainless windvane sitting at the back of his house in Tenerife that he kept when selling his boat - says it's in perfect working order - he had it on a She 34 - took him all over Europe . . .
Old 17-09-2007, 09:14   #18

Fishspearit, That is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you sir, I read everything I can find but nowhere is there why or people using them, just someone closing them up.

mickmul,
Harp away my friend, better than me harping beyond the Pearly Gates! The boats I've picked come equipped with all of the basic gear for cruising:

On the Yankee: GALLEY EQUIPMENT

Norcold built in a/c d/c fridge, TV/DVD, Microwave, Two burner stove w/oven ELECTRONICS & NAV GEAR

Raymarine autopilot, Garman #182 color chartplotter, GPS, W7 charts, VHF, New inverter charger, Alternator, Regulator, raymarine depth/speed [04], Richie compass [04]
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Inverter, Custom laptop drawer
DECK & HULL EQUIP

Sparcraft mast and boom [1985], standing rigging/halyards [2005], Pro furl, New whiskerpole, 140% Hood Jib, Working Jib, Spare Genoa, 2 Spinnakers, Full Battened Main, Jiffy reefing [lazy jacks], Rigged for single handling ADDITIONAL EQUIP

Head mate Wilcox Head, Y valve w/macerator, New prop - [04], 22# Bruce, 16# Danforth, Flopper stoppers, Chain and Line Rode, Complete West System Bottom Job, Navic windvane, Class-B EPIRB

I've a list of boats 30' to 40', most are 35'. All equipped as well or better, all priced less than my total spending limit. I've measured rooms in my house, arranged furniture to simulate space, and 30' seems to be a livable space and a boat I can do all repairs to myself. I can go bigger, there's a beautiful '73 Hallberg-Rassy 35' under $38k and fully outfitted I'd love to own. Would this be a better choice?
“There's no thrill in easy sailing when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which any one can do. But there is some satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination that you never thought you'd make”

Unknown
cjbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 09:27   #19

The HR is a great boat, but may be a little long in the tooth at 34 years old. There are some lovely Hans Christian and Lord Nelson yachts for sale on yachtworld.com that may suit your needs - often when researching, I'd come across a manufacturer I hadn't considered before and thats a great place to get initial ideas on market value and spec available. Keep us posted (no pun intended) on your progress!!
Old 17-09-2007, 09:34   #20

Hey CJ, I've sent you a private message (PM) with an example of what I mean - hope that's ok . . best regards
Old 17-09-2007, 10:03   #21

No worries mate. No PM as of yet, but I see a '76 HC-34 @ 40k. Is that the one? A beautiful boat by a builder that knows. I passed it up because of location, I'm not a fan of doing business in Mexico due to recent trouble I had there. I'll reconsider though, it is lovely with the wood everywhere.

The Lord Nelsons are priced at twice my budget, well worth the cost, but not in my plan. Most of the HCs I've seen were too though.

I will keep an eye out though and thanks for the suggestions.
“There's no thrill in easy sailing when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which any one can do. But there is some satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination that you never thought you'd make”

Unknown
Old 17-09-2007, 10:51   #22

A small suggestion

As this thread has aged in just two days you've added a lot of gear to your list, and there's been a lot changes in your priorities. Mostly this is just learning curve, and to be expected.

My personal suggestion would be to charter, borrow, crew a small sailboat and go out for a few days. Spend a couple days going out day sailing, and coming back and anchoring, even if you're anchoring just a few metres from the dock. Drop a lunch hook every noon. Doesn't matter if you're doing the entire day inside a commercial harbour or even in a river, the point is to get some practical experience, bash your knuckles a few times, and you'll get some great insights into what does and doesn't work for you.

If you can't do that, buy a sailing dinghy and spend a few days playing on the water. You can always sell it/give it away when you get the big boat, but the experience will be invaluable.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 11:20   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha cj,

I agree that you can get along without an engine but there are areas you may want to cruise that have sometimes contrary tidal currents and sometimes little to no wind such as is the case in the PNW or the ICW.

Diesel vs outboard. I think all points have been made except that outboards all require an electric spark which means points or electronic ignition. These are the first things to go bad in rough salty environments. A small diesel that can be hand started in a pinch is a very big plus.

Hope all the previous posters points have helped.

Keep pushing for your timeline and let us know how it is coming along.

Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 11:33   #24

I don't think my priorities have really changed or gear has been added. Most of what I listed on page one is stuff I've seen already on the boats I'm considering buying, things that are absolutely needed, things that are luxuries, and alterations, additions, and subtractions. I've dumped gear ideas like bow thruster, outboard, Inmarsat. Dumped alterations like positive buoyancy, reinforcement. Considering going to 35' though it's not likely. I'm thinking things out, getting advice. The concrete is still drying.

My only priority is "I need a strong boat that can go where I want, when I want" and as long as I want.

Unknown
Old 17-09-2007, 11:41   #25

Aloha SkiprJohn,

See, that's another thing I didn't take into account, the ignition system of the outboard not standing up in marine conditions. A very telling point for the inboard diesel. Thank you!

Everyone here is being very helpful, some very good information and things I need to think on more.

Thanks to all the posters! This is a great forum.

Unknown
Old 17-09-2007, 18:22   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Picking the Boat

Picking the boat is such a personal choice it is almost impossible to give advice. But that's never stopped me before - LOL

My only advice is to try and pick a boat with an active owners group on the internet. We have somewhat of an orphan (a group or two in Europe) and it is invaluable to have a user group to bounce things off.

I think your first list was a good one.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 18:37   #27

I agree Dan, but that Irishman has stirred things up.

I've been back and forth on the size and builder issues for months now. The three I ended up with are a) reputed to be solid and open ocean worthy, B) in the vicinity of where I plan to learn sailing, and C) low enough in cost to allow for repairs and the best in equipment.

But then I see a sweet looking boat thats a little bigger (2'-10'), and priced to sell at just a little more (2k-10k). And so on until I wonder how I ended up singlehanding 52' of boat! Then back to 30'. It's certainly good fun.

Thanks again for all your help!

Unknown