Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2020, 18:33   #121

Re: Thomas Gilmer Aries 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Blagg View Post
No need for me to look at my boat title - we are the original and only owners. Bought the boat from Herb in Sausalito in July 1977. Had actually seen it a couple of months before freshly imported and dolled up for a recent boat show - we went totally head over heels and headed home to Michigan to arrange financing. Problem: the bank wouldn't cut a check until the boat (collateral) was in Michigan and I couldn't pay Herb without a check from the bank (duh!). Herb shipped the boat COD to me in Michigan when I had maybe a $500 deposit on it.
I have just taken possession of what I believe to be an Roughwater 33, S/V Serenity here in Port Aransas Texas. It has a Westerbeke 30/ 4-91. I found some letters and numbers approximately 3 inches in size (each letter) and they appear to be glassed/built into the hull just under the engine but a bit to starboard side. It has an aluminum mast with mast steps and also came with a Monitor wind vane self steering custom installed in 1991 according to the vast amount of paperwork I found aboard when I took possession. I would sincerely appreciate any and all information/ advise anybody would be willing th share with me as a new Roughwater 33 owner. My Dream and my plan is to sail this boat alone with my little doggie Skipper completely around the entire Gulf of Mexico. Thank you in advance, may GOD Bless you and yours. sincerely, Trey Olsen Port Aransas Texas
Treyolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 19:19   #122

I am trying to find out about this hull number found on the starboard inner hull just below the Westerbeke 4-91 and is routed into a 1"×4" plank with "NO598832 NET. 9" May anyone PLEASE tell me anything at all from this number? I would be sincerely greatful. Thank You very much in advance. Trey, S/V Serenity (roughwater 33) Port Aransas Texas
Treyolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 11:56   #123

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyolsen View Post
I am trying to find out about this hull number found on the starboard inner hull just below the Westerbeke 4-91 and is routed into a 1"×4" plank with "NO598832 NET. 9" May anyone PLEASE tell me anything at all from this number? I would be sincerely greatful. Thank You very much in advance. Trey, S/V Serenity (roughwater 33) Port Aransas Texas
Here you go....

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 22:16   #124

Hi, I realize this is an older thread, but I'm considering buying a Aries 32, actually pretty sure I am going to purchase it, but am confused about a couple of things, first if the Aries 32, Roughwater 33, Weatherly 32 and southern Cross 31 all have the same hull, why is ballast listed different between them, I mean the difference is between 4400 and 5000 lbs. Also the draft is listed differently for all of these boats with apparently the same hull from 4.5' to 5'. And finally what is the actual fuel and fresh water tankage on the Aries 32, the boat I'm looking at has apparently 2 - 35 gal. fuel tanks, is this the norm, the tanks are fiberglassed in, so that would lead me to believe that they are original, did specs change the over production run, most are listed with one 40 gal. water tank">fresh water tank, is this what most are finding? Thanks very much in advance for your responses as I cant seem to find any information on either point in my research.
apextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 12:08   #125

Boat: Tom Gilmer, Roughwater 33

Hey guys. I am in the process of buying a Roughwater 33. I had a question about the wood masts some of these boats came with. The boat in question is an aluminum mast but I'm curious as to the dimensions and construction of the ?Spruce? Masts that came on some of these boats, were they solid spruce? Hollow? Laminated? I'm curious as to how much weight of mast these boats can handle with the factory deck step arrangement. Not in terms of lengthening the mast but in terms of going from aluminum to a solid wood spar.

Hope there are still some active members out there with these boats.

Cheers

Ryan
rkarakai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:51   #126

Good Morning Humans.
I have a question about the Weatherly 32..

Is the deck solid FG with teak on top, or FG with plywood core and teak on top??

Thanks
Lima
Semper Fi
lima33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 09:02   #127

Hi Everyone.
my wife and I purchased an Aries 32 that came from Sausalito 4 or 5 years ago, called Misty. we bought her 3 years ago and are now moored in Knysna Lagoon South Africa. we have done A LOT of work on her, and she had been overhauled by the previous owner Peter Forest.
she was in excellent condition, but we re-wired with Marine wire, solar panels solar arch big batteries inverter etc. refitted new chain plates, and new rigging. much much more than that.
we are now live aboard and about to set off for Madagascar when we finish with AIS, EPERB, wind instruments, anchor chain and Windlass as well as a life raft.

Does anyone look at this thread?
Alex and Rika.
ps Misty was in Alaska and the Great Lakes with Bob Blarakham
Kielczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 12:36   #128

Boat: Tom Gilmer, Roughwater 33

Hey Alex! My partner and I bought a Roughwater 33 (same hull as Aries) 3 years ago and are on a similar track to you guys fitting ours out for offshore. I would love to see some photos of your boat and I'm curious if you went with outboard or inboard chainplates and if you had to re-do the reinforcement thats glassed into the inside of the hull. On ours for the chainplates there is a 2" ish thick teak board glassed inside the hull, and it has stainless studs sticking out of it that are buried in the wood, not the greatest fastening solution for chainplates. I'm going to be cutting into those pieces soon once the rig is down, determining if they are still sound, unlikely, and then I'm probably going to go with Bronze outboard chainplates mounted through the reinforced part of the hull with carriage bolts.

Do you have a blog or a photo drive of your boat and the work you've done to her?

Ryan
rkarakai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 13:29   #129

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielczynski View Post
Hi Everyone.
my wife and I purchased an Aries 32 that came from Sausalito 4 or 5 years ago, called Misty. we bought her 3 years ago and are now moored in Knysna Lagoon South Africa. we have done A LOT of work on her, and she had been overhauled by the previous owner Peter Forest.
she was in excellent condition, but we re-wired with Marine wire, solar panels solar arch big batteries inverter etc. refitted new chain plates, and new rigging. much much more than that.
we are now live aboard and about to set off for Madagascar when we finish with AIS, EPERB, wind instruments, anchor chain and Windlass as well as a life raft.

Does anyone look at this thread?
Alex and Rika.
ps Misty was in Alaska and the Great Lakes with Bob Blarakham
I saw Misty when I was in South Africa - congrats! I sailed my Aries across the Pacific, where she was completely refit by her new owner for the GGR which she didn’t end up doing. I think she’s currently circumnavigating Australia. Fair winds!
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries