Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 19:41   #1

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
Have to choose between Aries or Fleming

We have just bought an old Aires vane (standard model) that need a lot of TLC, It needs bearings and the shaft has no hinge on it (been welded up). But, someone has now offeres us an Old Flemming Minor that is in good condition and has a new sheer hing on the shaft.

We have a Adams 35' steel cutter at 7 tons.

We need to choose between these units. The Fleming is suppose to do up to a 10 ton vessel. I have read that the early Flemings had nothing to limit the travel of the servo rudder sideways in rough conditions and that could cause problems.

If it was a Fleming Major then I would jump at it, but the minor is a lighter build.

Any suggestions appreciated as we are in a quandry as to what to do.

Cheers

Mick
ribbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 20:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Dog and Bone...

I had a chat to (I think) the owner of Flemming Wind Vanes about a year ago.

He was very helpful and basically convinced me to use a Flemming if I ever get that far.

I did get the impression that he would (as far as possible) make sure that the vane worked properly.

I would suggest giving him a call and having a chat. He was quick and efficient when I called so he might appreciate your having all necessary details at hand.

Your boat being an Adams he has probably set up a few like yours.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 13:40   #3

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
I am going to have a look at the Fleming this week (seen photos so far). It is interesting that the vane technology seems to have simplified the design a lot since the early units. Not that we would consider a new unit (cost constraints), just need to balance the true value of the older units to the new.
ribbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:01   #4

Boat: NONE yet
I would go with Fleming as that is my last name. The way Boracay spelled it, would mean it was German, but it is not.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
I have a two year old Fleming on my boat, works great (got me across the Atlantic) no problems with it, and the people who sell them were very helpful. The manual was a little difficult for someone mechanically challenged like myself, but I got it worked out in the end.
Old 10-11-2007, 18:22   #6

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I've known cruisers with every type wind-vane imaginable. I never heard anyone do anything but praise whatever they had.

I had an Aries (Lift-up model). I put 80K miles on it and loved it. The only problems that I ever had would happen to any of them. I had a couple of paddles snap off due to getting hit by large seas. I also snapped off one break-away rudder coupler. I had spares for each occurance and they were easily remedied.

I had a hydraulic auto pilot for those light air, down-wind, moments and motoring. Other than that, my Aries wind-vane steered every mile with ease.

All wind-vanes take some time to get used to. They steer off of aparent wind, so every time you have a gust of wind and/or your boat speed changes, your coarse will change. That's simply law of physics. The first couple of passages, you may find yourself making unnecessary adjustments. Don't expect to steer a perfectly straight coarse with any wind-vane and you will be fine. They just don't work that way.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, fleming