Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 04:48   #16

Boat: Regina 43
Re: THE MAGICAL BOAT ?

The perfect boat for you would be a Sirius 31 or 35 but you won’t get one for the money you are talking about.

For a big dog to navigate a boat easily you need an aft cockpit with transom walkthrough, a short and not so steep companionway, and a space below where they can sleep. Bots that meet these desiderata are things like the aforementioned Sirius yachts (too expensive), Beneteau sense, Ovni expedition (too big and expensive).

You could try an older moody 33 eclipse or Jeanneau espace. They would work I think and be within the price range.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 05:51   #17

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .

Thank you , always happy to research new boats that may be in our price range !
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:01   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Rotties on boats are near and dear to my heart, and I went through a similar process to you. I have two Rotties - a 10yr old male named Bear who weighs around 90lb, and a 6yr old female named Ellie who weighs 75lbs. We live aboard full time, so know some of the challenges you face, and some of the joys!

Our original boat, a Morgan 462, was completely unsuitable for big dogs. No swim platform, no walk-through transom, being a center cockpit it had steep companionway steps (virtually a ladder). Our dogs did not like it at all, and they only ever got aboard from a dock that was close to the same height as the boat's freeboard.

Then, sadly, or perhaps fortuitously, that boat was crushed at its dock by a wayward 100ft motoryacht. So we had a do-over, and this time we were determined to find a more Rottie-friendly boat. Our other criteria were a bit different to yours, and we ended up buying a Catalina 470. The C470 has a split walk-through transom with molded-in steps and a platform of sorts, and the companionway steps are not too steep. When we first move from the house to the boat, the dogs quickly got the hang of getting from dock to boat (and vice versa), but it took them about 3 weeks to figure out the companionway. But once they had it, there was no stopping them. At that point we were living in a marina, so getting on and off the boat was relatively easy, from a finger pier through the side gate. We moved to a different marina, and it had floating docks, almost perfectly level with the lowest transom step - again a very easy thing for the dogs.

Then we moved to a mooring, and discovered new challenges. Relying on our dinghy to take Bear and Ellie ashore meant a little rethinking, and the important of the walk-through transom became a Godsend. The problem came from our dinghy - it was very hard for our older male to get up and out of the dinghy onto the transom. We ended up buying a new dinghy, a Highfield with a built in bow locker. Not only is the bow locker a great place to keep the fuel tank out of the way, but provides an excellent step for the dogs. Now they boat can get from boat to dinghy, dinghy to shore, shore to dinghy, and dinghy to boat, all without any help from us!

I cannot think of any boat in the size range you're looking at, simply because that was not where we put any effort into researching. We chose the C470 for many reasons, but the dogs were in the top 5 criteria. No boat is perfect, every one is a series of compromises, so be prepared to adjust your priorities as you learn more. I do think that your size range is a bit small for two people *and* a big dog. But others have done more with less, so it's really up to the individual. One thing to beware of though - since Rotties shed so much, your boat WILL be covered in black fur! Tumbleweeds of love, we call them!

Our dogs are such an integral part of our lives, we could not imagine leaving them behind. They give us so much love in return, it's quite humbling - I only wish I could be the man my dogs think I am ;-). Reach our privately if you'd like to discuss more.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:08   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfred View Post
Ninety posts in, have you actually tried to sail on any of the boats suggested to your many queries to date? Left Manitoba for a boatshow or to shop marinas?

Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...LadyCaptin, the most successful troll on CF, eliciting by far the highest number of serious responses???
I don't know why some people are such a***holes . The OP's question is quite real - I know, I went through the same process. If either of you come near my boat, I'll introduce you to the two Rottweilers that live aboard with me. Usually they are very friendly, but they might make an exception for the two of you...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Man there are some really negative people out there ! Good think I can ignore them totally ! First off it’s - 30 C , so not much opportunity to go on any boats ! No boat shows near and and not looking at new boats regardless ! When the summer comes here , we plan to sail with others as I have stated and reach out to the community and try to get on some of the boats we would like , if that is possible.

A TROLL ???? REALLY ! WOW , that was inviting , sure would like to share a sun downer with you some day ! I have posted questions and got some very thoughtful and helpful responses from some vey nice people . I have remained pleasant for the most part with everyone who posts , regardless of what they may say .

However I can’t help but feel that with some ( very few ) mean spirited responses , when they don’t know us and have never taken the time to get to know us , this is the very reason , that some a re reluctant to post for fear of criticism, or negative posts .
None of this is meant with negativity of malice. I certainly have no reason to 'dislike' you.

Every boat I've ever bought has been in the middle of Winter. We're from New England (US) where there is snow, ice and freezing temps. You can tour boats that are shrinkwrapped all winter long. No reason why NOT to go looking now. (Hint, bring slippers. Most don't want winter boots on their boat and walking around in sox is miserable)

As for 'Trolling'. Look up 'neophite', then look up 'sophomoric'. You have a lot of posts that are paradoxical in both the level of minutia that you're digging down into and the lack of general knowledge. There has been a very long line of folks with identical threads and identical questions over the years. They rarely go anywhere.

There are no mean spirited responses here. Take it all (including this post) with a grain of salt. You can't direct the responses or the direction of of thread. Take from the response that which is helpful. Take the criticism as constructive. Ignore the rest.

You will NEVER find the perfect boat. Stop trying. Buy a boat, figure what you like and don't like, then buy your next boat. That is the way it works. Even if you think you've bought the perfect boat, after a few years you will find plenty of reasons why you want/need a different boat or different features.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:41   #21

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...ey-ds-7905633/

https://www.jeanneauamerica.com/en/b...odyssey-40-ds/

This boat is in need of some love, but you could probably negotiate it into your price range. It has a sugar scoop transom with walk through to the cockpit. The deck saloon design reduces the height of the companionway steps, and it looks like they are more steps than a ladder.

That being said, you haven't answered questions about how big your dog is, how old she is, and how capable you guys are of lifting her if necessary. If you can deal with a boat in rough condition for a while before you save more for upgrades, this boat or something like it could work. There are a lot of catalinas, hunters, beneteaus, etc that have walk through transoms, but most of them have steep companionway ladders.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 10:30   #22

Boat: Regina 43

I agree that a Jeanneau 40ds would work really well with a big dog and they are well built boats as well with very strong reinforcement over the keel.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 10:41   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Man there are some really negative people out there ! Good think I can ignore them totally ! First off it’s - 30 C , so not much opportunity to go on any boats ! No boat shows near and and not looking at new boats regardless ! When the summer comes here , we plan to sail with others as I have stated and reach out to the community and try to get on some of the boats we would like , if that is possible.

A TROLL ???? REALLY ! WOW , that was inviting , sure would like to share a sun downer with you some day ! I have posted questions and got some very thoughtful and helpful responses from some vey nice people . I have remained pleasant for the most part with everyone who posts , regardless of what they may say .

However I can’t help but feel that with some ( very few ) mean spirited responses , when they don’t know us and have never taken the time to get to know us , this is the very reason , that some a re reluctant to post for fear of criticism, or negative posts .

Don’t like me , fine ! Don’t like my questions fine , but the fact that you must take the time to say something mean , sorry but that says more about you ,than it does about me.

Once again I do truly appreciate those who respond with constructive , polite responses, as always ? Learning all the time , and I can’t type every idea we come up with as as a result of many excellent suggestions provided , but we do learn a lot and makes changes in our plan as a result !

Happy sails to all !
I think that all the "mean" people are trying to say is you need to actually get on a sailboat or two of the size you want so you can judge a bit better.

When "mean" people respond to my posts which is about every time, it creates some lively "discussion."

My anchor threads are the best though because the "mean" people enjoy telling me what a piece of junk my old anchor is even though it has worked perfectly for about 10 years

Some of us have received warnings and "strikes" because others think we are mean and they have reported us to the MODs
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 11:15   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Ok , we are looking for that Magical boat ? My wife has insisted I ask the following question .

We have a female Rottweiler, she is coming with us ! So we have been told to get a newer boat with a sugar scoop , or opening in the transom for the dog, makes good sense ! We are open to the idea , as long as the boat meets our other needs and ticks our boxes .

We are looking 32-36 feet .... NO ...BIGGER !! as the maintenance costs go up with every foot ! The boat needs to be safe and able to cross oceans and protect us somewhat if TSHTF !

You're right to be thinking about dog solutions early and often.

We've had big dogs aboard (Pyrenees, Golden Receivers) and there's some significant work involved. There are also some issues best solved during your shopping phase. (E.g., the sugar scoop idea in your case, stairs -- not a ladder -- to the flybridge in our case).

But there's more: Boarding from docks, normal boarding from the water, water rescue, shore trips, transit from boat to dinghy, transit from boat to dock, transit from dinghy to dock (shore trips), doggie PFDs, doggie harness (lifting gear without smushing doggie ribs), ablutions on deck (or somewhere aboard), entry/exit into other countries (vaccines and paperwork), etc etc etc.

And that inserts the word "dingy" which in turn is only one piece of another extended system: how to carry, how to lift, how to deploy, how to recover, how to power...

Lots of stuff best to have solutions in mind for before you write your first check.

What oceans do you intend to cross?

-Chris
Old 16-02-2022, 11:31   #25

Thank you to all of you so much ! You have renewed my faith in humanity, lol. I will take the time later , when I have the fee time to respond to some of the very wonderful and helpful relies !
Old 16-02-2022, 11:53   #26

Boat: Seaward 22

Take a look at one of these. Great designer. you can probably pay him to consult on the buy. has a fold down step on the transom. https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...lorida/5299109
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 13:40   #27

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Hmmm - two posters with rotties on their boats - one a 47 footer - the other a 58 footer.

Moving right along, why would you think that having bought a boat for 40k you will have to spend another 20k on it right away?

Plenty of well found boats on the market similar to the Benny 350 ( 48,000 Canadian asking price ) that Boatie linked to which are 'ready to go'. Its the ongoing costs that you need to worry about, insurance, marina fees, antifouling, etc, etc. Upgrading from coastal fitout to long distance is also going to cost.
Old 16-02-2022, 14:06   #28

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

thinking outside of the box

those big puppies remind me of a dilemma loading a wheelchair onto my Nimble 20

Metal fabricator made a boom that slide on a heavy bracket thru bolted to the side of the cabin, almost like an outrigger, will swing out to the dock, using a bosun chair will swing into the cockpit. and vice versa.

Will think an arch made on the cockpit/transom or arms/brackets to carry and lower a dinghy will do?

Nimble had only two short steps to get into the cabin, a deeper salon will be another problem to deal with, but glancing at the images can see one that deal with.

have fun

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/swi-...15-287302.html

Boat wheelchair lift | Passenger Lift Services

http://www.passengerliftservices.co....heelchair-lift
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 14:49   #29

Awesome! That boat is at the top of our list . If we where ready to buy I would have suitcase in hand and be screaming “ START THE CAR “, “ I am going to Florida” ! Islander 36 !

Where did you find the add ?

Davil, Thanks a bunch, that is great ! We will put those in the keep folder for sure!

W are limiting our size of boats based on the knowledge that at some point, replacing standing rigging , running rigging sails and possible Diesel engine if needed down the road are exponentially more for every foot of boat .

If I had put everything in IBM and Bitcoin, we would bs looking at very different boats for dam sure size wise . But based on research and talking to others we are drawing a strict line for boat size , so we don’t end up boat poor , or unable to maintain our boat as long as we choose to sail .

We are now focused on 34-36 nothing smaller at this point ! Clearly we can re evaluate once we are on our small boat and take our dog for a day and then some overnight trips . Till then we have to start somewhere, and have some plan, but we know plans change , that’s the facts !
Old 16-02-2022, 15:16   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Awesome! That boat is at the top of our list . If we where ready to buy I would have suitcase in hand and be screaming “ START THE CAR “, “ I am going to Florida” ! Islander 36 !

Where did you find the add ?

Davil, Thanks a bunch, that is great ! We will put those in the keep folder for sure!

W are limiting our size of boats based on the knowledge that at some point, replacing standing rigging , running rigging sails and possible Diesel engine if needed down the road are exponentially more for every foot of boat .

If I had put everything in IBM and Bitcoin, we would bs looking at very different boats for dam sure size wise . But based on research and talking to others we are drawing a strict line for boat size , so we don’t end up boat poor , or unable to maintain our boat as long as we choose to sail .

We are now focused on 34-36 nothing smaller at this point ! Clearly we can re evaluate once we are on our small boat and take our dog for a day and then some overnight trips . Till then we have to start somewhere, and have some plan, but we know plans change , that’s the facts !
The Islander? 43 year old standing rigging and end of life sails?
I'm guessing a 43 year old engine as well.
Don't walk - run - away -

'The Standing Rigging is still the original, and holding up well.
The sails, with a little stitching can handle another 2 years of frequent use.
This vessel is priced well below it's comps because of the poor maintenance. Vessel runs fine, but is a project requiring a lot of TLC from a handyman.

Please only call if you are interested in taking on a project, and the low price makes it worth your while.'

Tags
boat, cal