Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 15:25   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: THE MAGICAL BOAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Awesome! That boat is at the top of our list . If we where ready to buy I would have suitcase in hand and be screaming “ START THE CAR “, “ I am going to Florida” ! Islander 36 !

Where did you find the add ?

Davil, Thanks a bunch, that is great ! We will put those in the keep folder for sure!

W are limiting our size of boats based on the knowledge that at some point, replacing standing rigging , running rigging sails and possible Diesel engine if needed down the road are exponentially more for every foot of boat .

If I had put everything in IBM and Bitcoin, we would bs looking at very different boats for dam sure size wise . But based on research and talking to others we are drawing a strict line for boat size , so we don’t end up boat poor , or unable to maintain our boat as long as we choose to sail .

We are now focused on 34-36 nothing smaller at this point ! Clearly we can re evaluate once we are on our small boat and take our dog for a day and then some overnight trips . Till then we have to start somewhere, and have some plan, but we know plans change , that’s the facts !
Never drive more than 100 miles or so to see a boat unless you are totally sure the photos are recent.

Many times the boat looks nothing like the photo.

It's like internet dating......
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 15:45   #32

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=El Pinguino;
======================================

off topic

bored out of my mind, clicked on your link to Chile, bottom of your posting

Wonderful set of pics and information that will keep any dreamer/doer visiting Chile

this is a link to
Bernardo O'Higgins
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernardo_O%27Higgins[/url]

Thank you very much
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 17:12   #33

Boat: Seaward 22

Here's one currently for sale. Looks tired. From a design perspective, I think it meets your basic criteria. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...eport-8095421/
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 17:16   #34

Sailboat data information:https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/freeport-36-islander

About the designer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...yacht_designer)

Bob Perry's website Robert H. Perry Yacht Designers

I've met him a few times briefly. Very down to earth guy.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 17:27   #35

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .

OH by the way , took your advice ! Went down to the local Marina to check out boats like you insisted! Was shocked to discover , turns out when the temperature is below - 30 C , for 4 months the lake is 6 feet of solid ice, and all the idiots that own boats have taken them out of the water !

Will try again next week , hearing it’s going up to -15 C

Now who needs to do a little research !
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 21:40   #36

Quote:
Ok , we are looking for that Magical boat ? My wife has insisted I ask the following question .

We have a female Rottweiler, she is coming with us ! So we have been told to get a newer boat with a sugar scoop , or opening in the transom for the dog, makes good sense ! We are open to the idea , as long as the boat meets our other needs and ticks our boxes .

Would love to hear about sugar scoop and opening transom in a rough sea , or perhaps dangerous sea ? Seems scary having an opening in the back of your boat if things get ugly ?

So on to the Magical boat search ! Where is this boat ? We have a realistic budget of all in ...80,000 ...CANADIAN ....dollars! Not US , sorry guys your exchange kills on larger numbers !

So we can buy a boat for 40,000 and put 40, 000 into it , buy for 60,000 put 20 into it , you get the idea. The number can not exceed 80,000 to have the boat sea worthy and not being a money pit ?

We can’t afford to loose money on boats by having to later get a different boat , thus losing money on the first boat upgrades .

We are looking 32-36 feet .... NO ...BIGGER !! as the maintenance costs go up with every foot ! The boat needs to be safe and able to cross oceans and protect us somewhat if TSHTF !

Would love some positive help , could you suggest , or do you own a boat that would meet our needs , thanks to all who take the time to reply .
I can't really comment on living with a sugar scoop but a lot of people do it and cruise extensively with them. They're certainly nice to have when the weather is good.

I am a fellow budget cruiser from Canada and relatively new to sailing although I wasted money buying two other boats before I found my Goldilocks boat. I'd suggest not buying a boat right away and crewing instead. It might be hard to crew on a boat with a dog, not sure, but it's important to get a feel for what you like and what you don't. If you just buy a boat with little to no experience cruising I don't think the odds are in your favour that you'll have chosen what's best for you.

I noticed places like Mexico and Panama and other somewhat distant locations accumulate a lot of well-appointed cruising boats whose owners went back home for a variety of reasons and now they need to sell, I'm told you can get a lot of bang for your buck that way. Might be worth a look. Good luck with your plans ✌️🙂
Notfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 09:25   #37

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Man there are some really negative people out there ! Good think I can ignore them totally ! First off it’s - 30 C , so not much opportunity to go on any boats ! No boat shows near and and not looking at new boats regardless ! When the summer comes here , we plan to sail with others as I have stated and reach out to the community and try to get on some of the boats we would like , if that is possible.

A TROLL ???? REALLY ! WOW , that was inviting , sure would like to share a sun downer with you some day ! I have posted questions and got some very thoughtful and helpful responses from some vey nice people . I have remained pleasant for the most part with everyone who posts , regardless of what they may say .

However I can’t help but feel that with some ( very few ) mean spirited responses , when they don’t know us and have never taken the time to get to know us , this is the very reason , that some a re reluctant to post for fear of criticism, or negative posts .

Don’t like me , fine ! Don’t like my questions fine , but the fact that you must take the time to say something mean , sorry but that says more about you ,than it does about me.

Once again I do truly appreciate those who respond with constructive , polite responses, as always ? Learning all the time , and I can’t type every idea we come up with as as a result of many excellent suggestions provided , but we do learn a lot and makes changes in our plan as a result !

Happy sails to all !
You might consider mentioning the boats you have checked out and your +\- of those you have seen, actual experience with or even stepped aboard.

So many, "window" shop here, looking for the most popular mention, ect.
Boring!
What's your previous buys or experience with a "cruising vessel", how could we know what you like?, or want besides beam, persons occupying the vessel, length, all applicable.

People here get cranky with the same posts over and over.
Almost like, geeze!
Got any idea at all, or experiences sailing something?

Not a that you don't, but it helps to narrow the field.
Have you looked at ANY, and what did you like or not.
Welcome to the forum.
Just some advise.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 06:57   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
I agree that a Jeanneau 40ds would work really well with a big dog and they are well built boats as well with very strong reinforcement over the keel.
We have a 2002 40 ds. It’s an awesome boat and has already crossed the Atlantic once. We have a sugar scoop (was one of the boxes to check when we bought the boat).

We paid $85k US and put another $60k in solar, boat upgrades and repairs. Your asking alot for $40k. You’ll find buying a boat is always going to be a compromise.

Also are you planing on sailing in rough weather ? I think all boats are uncomfortable in rough weather but a 38-40 foot boat with just two people is going to be pretty comfortable no matter what it is.

We are a family of 5 and space is challenging. My kids want a dog but even though I’m a huge dog lover I wouldn’t bring a dog on a boat. We tried with a cat and it failed miserably.

But I got to say really think hard about bringing a dog on board any boat. Your asking a lot of your dog. Hate to sound mean but asking a dog to live in less that 400 square feet.

My advise is start visiting as many boats as you can and if you can sail them the better. If you want to know more about our 40 DS feel free to contact me.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 07:07   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Seriously....a rottweiler on a small boat ?????...LMAO....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 07:17   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

OP,

Loaded question to ask strangers for boat recommendations. Many come to CF wanting a “Blue Water” boat, and if they ever buy one, they realize they don’t even want to leave the dock.

Buy ANY boat and you will learn what you like and don’t like. No one gets it right on the first boat, but some adapt their needs to their boat’s reality. BUT, get the newest, smallest, easiest to sell boat in your budget for your first boat if you don’t have experience in that type/range; you must have an exit strategy.

Dogs are on all types of boats. Pick one and go sailing. Good luck :-)

PM me for specific questions, happy to help when you get serious. I can consult or put you in touch with other consultants (very affordable, cruiser rates, if you want something more structured) that will get you dialed in and comfortable. Sailing Totem for example is fantastic. Check their website. My wife and I cater more towards families, as we have 7 children aboard.
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 07:42   #41
Marine Service Provider

I can see it.....you plan on dinner ashore.....you leave in the dink....the Rottie jumps in the water after you...
Old 21-02-2022, 07:48   #42

Fortunately for you, you have a magical dog!

Used to have a Rotty that--eventually--I could not dump off my sunfish. He learned to stretch out and hook his claws over the deck-to-hull seal.

My boat has about a foot of freeboard and I simply use a PFD with a handle on the back to bring dogs on board. My latest was a 80 lb Staffordshire Terrier mix, my Rotty was about 130, you could also use a dedicated carabiner, and rope then wench if the slinging them back on board doesn't work, although I found they are more than willing to assist once they get close to the deck.

In heavy weather you'll probably want the dog inside, and depending on the dog, they will be more than willing to go (shot at food, comfy cushions). Can't really remember ever unintentionally losing a dog over the side (a kid and crew occasionally) even with the wenches deeply under.
Seaward22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 07:50   #43

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I can see it.....you plan on dinner ashore.....you leave in the dink....the Rottie jumps in the water after you...
This depends far more on the dog than the breed. That being said, if a Rottie does jump in after you, it's going to be more of a chore to get them into the dinghy than a smaller breed. My dog would be that type of dog, to jump in after me. Luckily she is only 35lbs. But I either always take her with me, which is restrictive to where I can go, or I leave her locked down below, which she hates. I end up not going to too many restaurants.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 08:45   #44
Marine Service Provider

I have come across sailors with pets on board....cats...dogs.....parrot....but it seems like a lot of work....taking your dog to the beach so it can run, etc...
and cleaning up the mess onboard....
Had a girlfriend one time that had a cocker spaniel....cute dog...but simply not a boat dog...tried having the dog on board on a trial sail...but neither me nor the dog enjoyed the experience..
I like animals as much as the next guy......but would be highly unlikely to bring one onboard..
Old 21-02-2022, 08:54   #45
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Open or partially open transoms are great in heavy weather. If you do take a boarding wave , it drains as fast as it arrives. Less goes below and stability isn’t compromised

With enclosed cockpits your are often relying on puny drains and the water which does board will hang around longer which the propensity to get below as well.

Much prefer an open transom

Tags
boat, cal