Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 05:26   #166

Re: Tallships. Which one?

Kismet.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 06:31   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
hey, i just realised this plan might be a really good way to launder eg drug money or other illicit income

must give that some thought...

cheers,
Not really...especially on international routes, there are a lot of detailed manifests and such documenting what is coming in and what exactly it's worth, so the countries can assess taxes.

The mob was much smarter using italian restaurants...a cash business where it's easy to slip extra cash into the till and with no receipts, it's hard to prove a little 20 seat restaurant isn't pulling in $50k/month.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 07:00   #168

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Here you go OP. Perfect example for you. I’d suggest calling the owner and flying down to Costa Rica and seeing how you can get involved. Learn for a year then strike out on your own.

https://trends.nauticexpo.com/projec...recommendation
The construction of this ship can be seen on YouTube. Impressive.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 13:19   #169

Boat: SeaRunner 25, SeaRunner 37, 56-foot sailing fishing trimaran, (current) Oceanic Proa, 24 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Here you go OP. Perfect example for you. I’d suggest calling the owner and flying down to Costa Rica and seeing how you can get involved. Learn for a year then strike out on your own.
https://trends.nauticexpo.com/projec...recommendation
That's a VERY cool project, makobuilders. I've got a friend who lives in Costa Rica that brought it to my attention two years ago; he sends me regular updates on their progress.

Traditional Western-style wooden ships are not our cup of tea, however. Learn something from them? I probably would, but I am one of a very few modern multihull builders who started their boatbuilding career 50 years ago spiling planks and installing them with trunnels (I'm assuming you know what those are).Then I went in a different direction, and built my Searunner 37 when I was 19, and sailed her from California to the Marquesas, then to Hawaii, when I was 24.

Fly down to Costa Rica for a year? I can't; I'm running our family boatshop with my three sons, daughter, and wife as boatbuilders, and teaching them everything I know about wooden boatbuilding.

Our shop is currently building a 38-foot passenger-carrying sailing proa (https://oceanpeople.org/taumako/) for the people of Taumako, a small remote island of traditional Micronesian voyagers in the Solomon Islands. We use a combination of marine plywood, epoxy glue, Jim Brown's molded chine method that he developed in the '60's, along with fiberglassing all exterior surfaces with epoxy, to build our boats.

I built my 56-foot Tropic Bird (below) using this method. She lasted 34 years (with poor care from her second owner the last 17 years of her life), before finally being destroyed in a hurricane that came ashore.

We've also just received a commission for a 75-foot sailing fishing proa (https://oceanpeople.org/an-introduction-to-serenity/). Check out the website for other examples of boats we've built over the last 50 years.

With Warm Aloha, Tim
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:13   #170

Wow, Kaimana has some skillsets! Very interesting reading of your website. Do you use FSC certified wood, or any formal certs? BTW, I like the names Firefly and Serenity - we've obviously been watching the same scifi movies and shows. Hope you don't run into any reavers while you're sailing the South Pacific.

Perhaps you should have some conversations with JackoFalls about commissioning his new sailing vessel. Take your boat building management skills, multiply them by about 20 to 30 times, and build a 120' tall ship for the laddie.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 22:49   #171

It already exists.. Comes with a business also
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/brem...kan-36m/622834
Commercial Vessel KWAI
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 23:01   #172

jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:28   #173