Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 05:00   #1

Talk me out of a Hunter 30

Hello everyone!

Looking to buy my first boat, something for lake and coastal cruising with potentially single overnights with the wife and two kids. Requirements are standing height inside (I’m 6’1” and something easy to single hand.

There is a deal on a 1977 Hunter 30 nearby that seems to be striking my fancy as being an excellent deal and doable project. Owner is hoping to get $1k for it.

Details below:

Update

Yes so we just got to the boat to do some cleaning up. She has taken on a little water because the bilge pump wasn’t pumping. Got it all pumped out but she is dirty and some cosmetic work that needs done. We took her out last year and everything ran. There are 2 new batteries but need one more 6v. Assuming engine and everything works. She is a great solid boat. We just don’t live in Orlando anymore and need to get rid of her.

Alright, here's what you need to know:

Pros:
1977 Hunter 30 (Cherubini)
Shoal-Draft Keel
Yanmar Diesel engine (2QM15 - with manual)
Modified V-Birth with (1) XL foam mattress
(2) loose headsails: 110% Genoa and 85% Jib
Water-cooled 110V Air Conditioner
(3) owners - kept in fresh water for past 10 years
Cons:
Needs paint job.
Needs new batteries ( I will replace)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-30

And message from the owner;

Ok here is what we know about the boat. She took on some water because the bilge wasnt pumping. We cleaned her up but she needs new cushions and stuff. On top of all of that she is having some electrical issues (fuses blown from what we know) had a diesel mechanic look at the engine (it cranks manually but we cannot get it to start all the way, but it is not locked up so that is good.) the mechanic said the following

“He said the primer bulb would definitely need to be replaced,
And he could spray some starter fluid in to try to get it started.

His biggest concern was with the wires and corrosion.
He said it would be a lot of labor hours to work thru it.”

There are brand new batteries on it. So if you are at all mechanically or electrical inclined she would be an amazing boat. She is solidly built and just needs the love we couldn’t give her being so far away.
coastertrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 19:02   #2

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Re: Talk me out of a Hunter 30

Basically, what he's telling you is that every system on the boat is nonoperational, including the wiring.

$1000 for a hull you have to strip down and rebuild everything on/in/over/under?

Walk away. Fast.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 19:18   #3

The sentence "Ok here's what we know about the boat" heavily suggests they are lying through their teeth about the boat. Any boat going for a thousand dollars is going to be expensive and a hassle. The engine doesn't work and the bilge pump doesn't work. Batteries are messed up and the electrical system is too. The cushions are wet.

You posted this because you know the boat sunk and are doubting your perception. It sunk, we all know it. Walk away. There are countless good boats out there which were well cared for. If you can't afford one, save up longer. Buying a well maintained boat is paying pennies on the dollar.

Many people would contend the Hunter isn't even a very good brand. I'm not going to wade into that debate but there's a lot of people here who already have.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 19:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

You'll put $20k into a $1,000 boat and end up with a $5,000 boat.
Go for it !
Old 06-12-2020, 21:43   #5

Boat: Riva 48

It does sound like a project. If you have spare time and know about Diesel engines you can probably fix it in 6-9 months time and $10k, doing most of the work yourself. Cushions/cosmetics are expensive but you may have to do that with any old boat. The Cherubini Hunters are better than most boats from that era so ignore brand bashers. If the hull is solid, it is worth more than $1,000 but you still need to find out why it sunk.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:51   #6

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Sounds like people with money have been responding....LOL $10k is a refurbed and installed engine. If it turns and you you have compression, the rest is just working through the fuel and maybe some ancillaries and you know a little, you can get it running and reliable for $500 max + time.
So, If the engine is not locked and has reasonable compression, the sails and rigging are ok and you can lock off and open all of the through hull fittings, the project will be a nice family thing to do. Check for rot in any structural locations.... I presume you wont be getting a survey and you cant see the hull but it floats?
Off $500, but only if you want a project.
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:13   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I wouldn't talk you out of a Hunter 30. But I will say that this boat for a $1000 has all the makings of a money pit.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:52   #8

Boat: Hunter 170

While looking through craigslist and now facebook marketplace mostly for Sunfish that pop up cheap. I am at the stage of just learning on the 17' Hunter and found Sunfish fun, my sons are in a youth program, so I have been looking. I am thinking that a catalina 22 might be a next step so I look at some of the larger boats. What I have noticed is you get a wide range of 'values'. I have seen the larger boats, lookup casually up to the 30's, vary widely with price and condition. You find boats that look in the same condition for $6000 and $2000, both 'ready to go' (are they really ever ready?). The $6000 boat is still listed in a week and the $2000 is sold.

My advice. Do not buy any boat that is a fixer upper, unless it truely is minor work. Go learn about the boats, look at a few. check in on your searches several times a day. You never know when a boat is listed ridiculously cheap. I have 4 Sunfish at super cheap prices and in each case I was the first person that saw the ad and responded. The first one was in 3 minutes of posting and the second in 15 min of posting.

Here in NJ the winter is a bad time to be looking to buy. As you approach spring the boats come on the market and the deals improve.

A final thing to keep in mind. Know your states title laws and how to properly transfer boats and trailers. In many states a boat without a title is an expensive problem to solve. A 30' boat will need proper paperwork. I see very low prices on those boats all the time and often is not bad shape.

Anyway, my advice. It free and it may not work for you.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:58   #9

Boat: Bristol 27 & CSY 37

I don't believe you'd be getting a bargain at even $999 less than what the owner says he wants. You can find other similar boats, or another Hunter, for not significantly more money that will serve you much better in the short- and long-runs. Any boat that's had water to the level it seems this one has will present immediate problems followed by gremlins for as long as you own her, absent a major refurbishment. Keep shopping . . .
dbcreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:19   #10

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

From what I learned from my '76, 27' Cherubini Hunter:

Check the decks and cabin top (roof) for soft spots/delamination. If the mast steps to the cabin top, pay particular attention to that area - look for cracks.

How long was the inside flooded? If it was a protracted length of time, the plywood interior may have waterlogged and suffered serious damage due to delamination.

Also: a 30' boat for $1000? That brings a couple things to mind: caveat emptor - "buyer beware" and "you get what you pay for".

if you are handy, have the time, inclination and some disposable income, you could have a decent boat for day sailing and gunk holing. If you're lacking in anyone of those four things, walk away.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:33   #11

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Basically, what he's telling you is that every system on the boat is nonoperational, including the wiring.

$1000 for a hull you have to strip down and rebuild everything on/in/over/under?

Walk away. Fast.
Yep. the bilge pump has nothing to do with fact that the boat leaks, probably the decks which is never a good sign. BEWARE THE CHEAP BOAT !!!
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:37   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastertrav View Post
Hello everyone!

Looking to buy my first boat, something for lake and coastal cruising with potentially single overnights with the wife and two kids. Requirements are standing height inside (I’m 6’1” and something easy to single hand.

There is a deal on a 1977 Hunter 30 nearby that seems to be striking my fancy as being an excellent deal and doable project. Owner is hoping to get $1k for it.

Details below:

Update

Yes so we just got to the boat to do some cleaning up. She has taken on a little water because the bilge pump wasn’t pumping. Got it all pumped out but she is dirty and some cosmetic work that needs done. We took her out last year and everything ran. There are 2 new batteries but need one more 6v. Assuming engine and everything works. She is a great solid boat. We just don’t live in Orlando anymore and need to get rid of her.

Alright, here's what you need to know:

Pros:
1977 Hunter 30 (Cherubini)
Shoal-Draft Keel
Yanmar Diesel engine (2QM15 - with manual)
Modified V-Birth with (1) XL foam mattress
(2) loose headsails: 110% Genoa and 85% Jib
Water-cooled 110V Air Conditioner
(3) owners - kept in fresh water for past 10 years
Cons:
Needs paint job.
Needs new batteries ( I will replace)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-30

And message from the owner;

Ok here is what we know about the boat. She took on some water because the bilge wasnt pumping. We cleaned her up but she needs new cushions and stuff. On top of all of that she is having some electrical issues (fuses blown from what we know) had a diesel mechanic look at the engine (it cranks manually but we cannot get it to start all the way, but it is not locked up so that is good.) the mechanic said the following

“He said the primer bulb would definitely need to be replaced,
And he could spray some starter fluid in to try to get it started.

His biggest concern was with the wires and corrosion.
He said it would be a lot of labor hours to work thru it.”

There are brand new batteries on it. So if you are at all mechanically or electrical inclined she would be an amazing boat. She is solidly built and just needs the love we couldn’t give her being so far away.
A Hunter 30 would be fine for what you're describing - just not this one. If you paid $10,000 for one without all the issues, you'd end up money ahead.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:38   #13

Boat: Trawler

There is no such thing as a cheap or free boat, unless the owner dies.

You always pay over time or labor.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:09   #14

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

4 people in a 30' sailboat won't work for more than a day!

Do not buy a Fixer as first large boat, it will end up costing $xx,xxx and x,xxx hours to get it ready for sailing even in coastal waters.

Look for a boat with accomodation for the 4 of you and in ready to sail condition, it will keep your Tribe much happier.

This is based on only 40+ yrs experience,

Capt Wayne

PS, many good tips on boat buying are in the above answers, think abou them.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:12   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastertrav View Post
There are brand new batteries on it. So if you are at all mechanically or electrical inclined she would be an amazing boat.

You'll be amazed alright, when you add up the costs to refurbish it. Don't let the initial purchase price fool you. Better to spend the money up front on a boat that's been loved and well cared for.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter