Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 12:29   #16

Re: Talk me out of a Hunter 30

Each boat is different. I just did exactly what you are thinking of. I bought a 1985 Pearson 28-2 for 1500. The boat had been sitting for 5 years and didn’t run. It looked like a disaster but had good bones and a newish set of sails when the boat was parked.

Mine has a yanmar and getting it running was easier than expected and cost less. I put together an estimate on what was needed and what I wanted. With that I’ve estimated I could fix her up and use it for 2 years and sell for roughly what I had in it. So far I’m $5200 into it and I’ve yet to do the bottom job. I limped it through the summer by having it hauled and cleaned and scrubbing about once a month. Growth is much slower during the colder months but I can already tell the boat is slower. The plan is to haul and do the bottom in March.

The takeaways are that it can be done reasonably if you do all the labor yourself and stick to a budget. My biggest budget buster was running rigging and new clutches, but I probably went overboard for a cruiser when sta-set would suffice but I got leftover hanks for less then 1/2 price. I’ve got over a grand in those 2 things alone.

I got mine sailing in just over a month but I have it docked in my neighborhood marina and already have countless hours of my labor in it that I’ll never get just compensation for. The good news is that I love the boat and I’ve already had offers that I could sell it for a profit (less my labor obviously) I’m not ready to sell. I’ll probably keep it until it’s time to go bigger for my Bahamas trip.
Jfloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:41   #17

1k?

Ether the guy has NO idea what he has

Or he knows what he has, and it’s a hot mess.

Unless you know exactly what you’re looking at, walk.

Cheap boats are the most expensive.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:42   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
Better to spend the money up front on a boat that's been loved and well cared for.

what he said. get something that is functional and working
Old 07-12-2020, 13:06   #19

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

My Pearson 30 was free.

Now after 3 years of my labor and $15,000 in materials.

It is a go-anywhere boat, within reason.

That should tell you something, and my Pearson never took on water or sunk like the boat you are looking at. I would look for a better boat.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 13:13   #20

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I will just concur with what is basically being said. Buying a boat in good shape is WAY cheaper than buying a neglected/damaged boat. The only way to get a "good deal" on a boat is to 1-have all the skills needed to DIY most things in a professional manor and 2-have the knowledge to know what you are really looking at while evaluating the boat. Then you might get lucky.

B.O.A.T. stands for break off another thousand and I can confirm that is as true a acronym as ever stated. Even boats "in good condition" are normally in need of a fair amount of love (money). Most people don't spend lots of money and time on boats that they are not using or falling out of love with. This describes most boats people sell IMO.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Its worth the "investment"

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 13:53   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It is a go-anywhere boat, within reason.
Now there is a kinda self cancelling statement!

But I agree with this poster and all the others who feel that this boat is not a wise acquisition.

Jim
Old 07-12-2020, 14:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wouldn't talk you out of a Hunter 30. But I will say that this boat for a $1000 has all the makings of a money pit.
Same. I love the Cherubini Hunter 30's of that era, and have a lot of time sailing in one.

That said, I'm not sure I'd love that one.

Edited to say, a few years ago, I found one in pretty good shape, no repairs needed, that the owner only wanted $5500 for. I already had a sailboat and I thought hard about buying it.
Old 07-12-2020, 14:37   #23

Boat: Grampian 26

1000 for a 30' Hunter sounds like it wasn't worth the owners time or effort to fix it, I'd be a little worried. Your first instinct is often correct. And I'd agree with those that mentioned perhaps the boat had a brief stint as a submarine.
Best of luck. I'd walk, but it's not me or my $$$
Tim
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:23   #24

Boat: Hunter 36

Going to disagree with a lot of people here. $1000 for a 30' boat is a great deal if the structure is sound and you don't mind putting in some labor yourself. And that's the keyword - labor. The worst case scenario numbers that people are throwing at you are based on you hiring professionals to do everything, which would get expensive.

If you are new to boats, then you can get a survey done. I don't think many people do a survey for a boat in this price range, but it would give you a lot of peace of mind and give you a road map toward what you need to fix. Probably cost about $600 but well worth it. Think of it as paying $1600 total for the boat with the confidence that you won't get any surprises because it's been surveyed by an independent party.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 13:27   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Going to disagree with a lot of people here. $1000 for a 30' boat is a great deal if the structure is sound and you don't mind putting in some labor yourself. And that's the keyword - labor. The worst case scenario numbers that people are throwing at you are based on you hiring professionals to do everything, which would get expensive.

If you are new to boats, then you can get a survey done. I don't think many people do a survey for a boat in this price range, but it would give you a lot of peace of mind and give you a road map toward what you need to fix. Probably cost about $600 but well worth it. Think of it as paying $1600 total for the boat with the confidence that you won't get any surprises because it's been surveyed by an independent party.
Or you could think of it as paying someone 600 dollars to tell you to not buy the boat... same as we've told you for free!

Jim
:
Old 09-12-2020, 14:49   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

You can get a really prime example of one of these vessels for 8-9k.
or You can spend 15k and two years and end up with a 5k boat. I wish you luck.
Old 09-12-2020, 15:51   #27

Boat: Bavaria 35E

"Talk me out of a Hunter 30." I think we did.....scared him away, for sure!
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 13:36   #28

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Geez, not one person mentioned a very critical thing, The steel I beam under the mast compression post is rotten, positively
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 20:20   #29

Hm. Depending on how it looks, it's something i would have considered. But I'm also known to get over my head from time to time.

It won't be a cheap boat - you will pay for many things in cash and for even more things in time that you will be spending doing research online and then trying to do. Engine not starting the way you describe does sound like there is air leak and the system may need to be primed. That said - if you do it wrong, you can really get into even more trouble (cranking constantly while it is taking cooling water and not exhausting it.

Size wise - it will be a bit of a tight fit with 4, but you are going to have fun.

For me the big questions are:
1) Why was there water and where did it come from? This can be a very expensive problem or very inexpensive.
2) Sails - if they are usable for a while (hopefully until you outgrow it), then you are set. If they need replacement - it's going to be $$$
3) Engine - read up everything you can about priming and troubleshooting starting issues and see if they will allow you to try making it run (if it does - you have the dibs, if it doesn't - you can walk away).
4) look at condition of thruhulls, bottom paint and deck. Thruhulls that need replacement - are likely to need haul out ($$). Paint requires haulout ($$). If you have to do one - might as well do both. Deck - if there were leaks and there is rot, it will take some work, but may end up being not terrible expensive, just lots of work.
5) Electrical - just like anything made for boats, marine wire is not cheap. Running it is not too difficult, but redoing everything will take effort. If there is enough slack, you may be able to cut off corroded ends and make fresh connections. This may require you moving the panel to create the slack, but may end up a cheaper way to get it working.

Ebay and craigslist will be your friends for buying used gear, as well as Harbor Freight.

If you are handy, have tools and free time (i doubt with 2 kids), you can take this on. If it is in reasonable condition and not a total junker), i think it may be doable. But it will be a challenge and what you don't pay in dollars, you will pay in labor.

Alternatively, if you are patient and have a bit more money - you can score a good deal. Just don't get too excited as they get snapped up quick, but with patience and methodical watching - you can get a decent smallish boat to have fun on.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 04:27   #30

Patience will often reward you with an unbelievable deal. I've lost count of the "steals" I have come upon in my life, where the owners just wanted out, for one reason or another, that usually come right after I have just bought a boat.

The one lesson I've learned about used boats, cars, and houses, is that no matter how much you like the one you pick, and the price you paid for it, there will be one you see that you like better, at a better price, that you will come upon later.

That's why it never bothers me to walk away from any of those, if I'm not completely happy with the condition and price.

Tags
hunter