Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2019, 06:34   #1

Stern Designs and Performance

I searched Colin Archer Kvase 13.50 and it's quite impressive looking for serious offshore passages, but I'm left with a Stern question.

What are the differences in handling, stability, and strength in different Stern designs?

Here are three different sterns:
Kvase (sharp canoe Stern)
Pacific Seacraft (bulbous canoe Stern)
Beneteau Oceanis (square Stern)

What are the differences in handling, stability, and strength in different Stern designs?
FosterJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 08:06   #2

Re: Stern Designs and Performance

If properly designed and built, all of those stern designs can be strong enough to handle anything, so take that off the table.

The other criteria are the perfect topics for argument since you will never find a two boats with the same characteristics and only the shape of the stern changed.

For example, the differences in "stability, and handling" characteristics between a Pacific Seacraft and a Beneteau Oceanis have very little to do with the shape of the stern, there are just too many other differences to even try to tease out effects of stern shape.

Of course that doesn't mean there won't be endless arguments about it. Kind of like arguing about what is the best superpower to have.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:29   #3

I once heard someone say their Oceanis was getting "pushed" too much in following seas and blamed it on the stern design. Any thoughts?
FosterJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 14:37   #4

Double-Enders According to Perry, by Bob Perry

Sail Far Live Free - Relent to Water Wanderlust!: Double Enders According to Perry (Guest Post by Bob Perry)
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 14:45   #5

I think it's a non question. I suppose a true Bill Garden or etc pointy double ender would part the seas better than a reverse/regular transom or a Perry Canoe stern in "ultimate" conditions... but meh... I had both..
The pointy stern will most often have less bouyancy, slimmer stern sections and may "squat" more under power though. Probably a touch slower than wider/fuller underwater stern sections.
The bulbous stern in my avatar picture squatted a lot under power.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 14:58   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Another way to ask that question would be “What do you lose with different stern shapes?” For a lot of people the benefits of a square stern (easy boarding, good swim platform, more interior room) rule out any negative aspects of a square stern.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote