Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 19:32   #1

Exclamation Specs

Hi,

I have a Freeport Islander Ketch rig 41' (1976 model,) and I have checked everywhere on where to find the specs for it. I have the manual, but it does not show me:

Turnbuckle sizes

Stay lock sizes

and Rigging sizes

My masts fell down (do not ask how) and i am wanting to get them back up. Please help me with this situation.

Trenton
2Dum2Liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 19:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I think you'll be needing a rigger. I'm not aware of many boat specs that get as detailed as you request. The choices open to you today are far greater than in 1976. You can easily find better methods of fastening your wire than were available back then. Once you can establish the wire sizes the connectors will easily follow.

You could do well to examine the chain plates since if original would be worth replacing now as well. It's also a great time to re wire the mast and fix up all those issues.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I think that Robert Perry may have designed the Islander Freeport. Bob offers a consulting service, and may be reached at:
Robert H Perry Yachts Designers Inc. Home Page
Or:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rry-19005.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:58   #4

good morning ,i was just looking at a listing here in upstate ny..for a 1965 29' Islander..waiting to hear back from the man, but the name islander is thrown on so many..any thoughts..thanks..still lookin ..but now up north..
flafrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47   #5
cruiser

2Dum:
I did the rig on that boat but I don't recall doing rigging specs. I suepct Islander just went with the original I-40 version that preceeded the 41 specs for rigging sizes.

But I'm here if you would like to take advantage of my consultation service. I can quickly give you rigging specs for your boat.

Flafrank: The I-29 is not my design so I'd have to se a pic to identify your boat. I don;t recall an I-29 but 1965 is a long time before I worked with them so it just might be an early Islander.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 17:26   #6

wow thanks so much ..how neat to hear from you as i have read so much about your work..the man got back to me .he has owned it for 20+ years. built by wayfarer 1966 hull number 140...lol. 29'1 ..beam 8'10.5" draft 3'8", it has an atomic 4,30hp..been i fresh water for that time..he says he is too old to do it any more..wants $1995. i just finished looking over a 74 302 morgan..there are still some wonderful older boats up here to be brought back to life..again thanks and any of your thoughts would be wonderful...fs
Old 15-05-2009, 16:06   #7

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
There is a Yahoo group for the I41F. They are a great group and someone will certainly help. Unfortunately, I'm 1200 miles from mine and won't return until the fall. You can try this URL. You'll have to register but it's well worth it. Excellent resource.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 16:06   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Oops. I forget the URL.

IslanderFreeport41 : Islander Freeport 41 Sailboats

Dick
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 16:36   #9

thanks .the rest of the story

thanks for the feed back.as i have found out it actually was a 68 I29 from the costa mesa california group with glassman or the glass fiberglass company..in one of the lapworth forms hull#140..owned by Jim M for the last 20 years but left to being unkept..the atomic 4 gas hadn't been run in 10 years,but i did get the fly wheel to turn..no black mold but the one bulk head i call it a stay or chain plate to the spreader of the mast had water leaked into it and had rotted..it has been in fresh water most of its time so not really in bad shape but ...i am so torn to turn away from this project..but the gas isn't my first choice..but the islander sounds like a wonderful sailer..he wanted $2000..it did have two sails in very good shape which are probably worth quite a little..so still looking but up north here on lake ontario the season is already gettin short to finish a project and be headin south..would really like one of those Perry boats..walked away from a morgan 302 last fall down in st pete for $4000 with a wonderful soundin univeral deisel//always wonder about the one that got away..thanks again you all are a wonderful help..