Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2010, 17:28   #1

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Solo Circumnavigation Distances

I have been following Jessica Watson and Abby Sunderlands progress with interest and since Jess chose a S&S 34 for the journey i have done a search of Jesse Martins and David Dicks trips also to try to find their routes,times and distances covered to see how they all compare since they all sailed the same boat model but im not having much luck,plenty about the trip but thin on actual details.For example,i find that David Dicks started and finished in Fremantle and took 265 days but what mileage did he cover? Jessica Watson is planning a 23000 mile trip which included a trip up north of the equator, David would have done considerably less distance unless he did something similar.
Jesse Martin started and finished in Melbourne which is damn near in the southern ocean so again a shorter trip but i found a posted distance of 27000 miles in 327 days,where did the extra distance come from?
Mike Perham sailed from the UK and only shows 28000 miles which seems about right.
Do any of you Aussies have the actual times and distances for David and Jesse Martins voyages that you would be willing to share? It would be interesting to compare Jesse Watsons performance when the dust settles,i think shes doing rather well but her site is also light on stuff like daily runs etc.
Thanks,Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 18:06   #2

Jesse Martin's extra mileage came from rounding the Azores in the North Atlantic. David Dicks similarly covered around 27,000 miles, also completing a detour into the North Atlantic. Kay Cottee rounded St Paul's Rocks as her northern hemisphere waypoint and covered a distance of 22,100 miles, in 189 days.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 18:21   #3

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
To qualify as a circumnavigation, you have to sail around an antipodal point, not just dipping across the equator (unless of course you're starting out from somewhere near the equator). For those leaving from Australia, that generally works out to be a point in the North Atlantic.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 18:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
To qualify as a circumnavigation, you have to sail around an antipodal point.
Not exactly ... read around here and maybe avoid revisiting "antipodes".

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-32439-30.html
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 02:38   #5

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Hi Jim,

My comment came from my memory of Jesse Martin's book -- at the time the rules he was following apparently did require rounding an anitpodal point, IIRC -- that is why he sailed well up into the North Atlantic near the Azores. I didn't mean to jump into the middle of any debate about Jessica Watson's attempt!

FWIW, the current rules for people trying to set recognized records: http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/the-...-offshore.html -- scroll down to RTW.

Of course, these are just the minimum requirements for this particular organization. If one wants to add to these rules, follow a different set of rules, or follow none at all, that's fine with me.

Regards,

Tim

PS (Bet there are a few Peterson 34's in your area!)
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 07:25   #6

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Thanks for the info,so it looks like David Dicks covered 27000 miles in 265 days,for a 102 mpd and a 4.5 knot average. If Jesse Martin covered the same distance he was a lot slower at 327 days for a 82.5 mpd and 3.44 knot average,so now we wait to see how Jessica compares, i know its not a race but with 3 boats of the same model it makes for a unique opportunity to see how they do.
As a point of reference in 1984/85 Peter Freeman from New Zealand completed a solo circumnavigation below the 3 capes, without sponsors or fanfare from Victoria BC covering 26776 miles in 268 days for a 4.2 knot average, he,like most of the others had to stop near the beginning of the trip for repairs,in his case Santa Barbara,CA so his official circumnavigation started and finished there in 236 days and was the 12th solo non stop on record and the fastest until crushed by Dodge Morgan on American Promise. Peters boat was a boat very familiar to those down under and in fact very similar (design wise) to the S&S34, a Hartley RORC 32 of Ferro Cement construction,another good strong seaworthy boat of moderate size and decent performance.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation