Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 15:45   #1

Solo Circumnavigation Records?

Hi,

Need some info asap, does anyone know of anyone sailing solo, nonstop around the world TWICE going round eastbound (horn) and westbound????

Ive had a look around the internet but ive not found anything yet im sure it has been done a few times.

Anyone got anything, i would very much appreciate it.

Regards
AroundTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 16:22   #2

Ive just found out about Bernt Luchtenborg who was trying such a feat, he called it sail2horizons..

I cant find in any of the press anything about this being the first or indeed anything about people who have previously tried to do the same thing..

HELP
Old 21-01-2010, 17:49   #3

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
I'm not sure anyone has gone twice around (east and then west?) non-stop -- you mean continuously, right?

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/roun...-non-stop.html

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/othe...g-records.html

http://members.shaw.ca/taonui/nonstopsailors.doc.pdf (see also http://members.shaw.ca/taonui/other_solo.html)

http://www.cruisingclub.org/pdfs/dl...._bluewater.pdf (see also http://www.cruisingclub.org/awards/awards_bluewater.htm and
http://www.cruisingclub.org/awards/a...water_2006.htm)

Of course there is that guy Reid Stowe - he didn't go twice around but is closing in on 1000 days continuously at sea! (although he wasn't solo for the entire time...)
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 18:01   #4

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Once is nice

Is it just to do it...like why people climb Everest? I'd like to do it over a 10 year period...

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 18:15   #5

Thank Catamount, ive just found a write up on Bernt Luchtenborg he says in the article “As an experienced long-distance yachtsman the sporting challenge of course appeals to me, which no yachtsman before me has managed in this form and on this route”

Ive been looking at sailing around the world for a while, even started designing my 60ft trimaran but sponsors and press have been rather reserved in there willingness to join in due to the voyage not representing much. With this double circumnavigation being a first i feel i have a greater position from which to raise the funds and generate a lot of media interest.

I will be sure to keep the cruisersforum updated with my progress.

All the best
Old 21-01-2010, 18:38   #6

So what exactly is your plan? Sail all the way around the world, solo non stop, but when you get back to the starting point, you'll just turn around and re-trace your steps all the way back around the world again?

Quote:
sailing solo, nonstop around the world TWICE going round eastbound (horn) and westbound
It's the "eastbound and westbound" part that I don't understand.

BTW, Bernard Motiessier sailed 1-2/3 times around solo non-stop...
Old 22-01-2010, 03:27   #7

Thats exactly what i will be trying to do, although the route will be slightly different on the way back due to wind and currents.

Have a look at Three watches from Mühle on double circumnavigation of the world | WatchPaper there is a map on there an info about Bernt Luchtenborg's attempt.
Old 27-01-2010, 07:03   #8

*UPDATE*
I have now found a couple of sponsors, one is a web design firm who will get the project onto its feet so i can begin the laborious task of raising the rest of the money..
Old 27-01-2010, 09:39   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
yet another dubious "record" attempt.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:51   #10

If your web design firm was really a sponsor of this project, you wouldn't need the $1000 to get your website off the ground.

Also, some more information about you, your background and experience, and why you are worthy of any support (beyond the novelty of a dubious world record attempt) would be necessary before anyone else is likely to step up as a sponsor.

If you haven't read it yet, you might read "Close to the Wind" by Pete Goss. While everyone focuses on the dramatic rescue of a fellow sailor, much of the book is really about the incredible hard effort -- a real scramble -- it was for Goss to raise the sponsorship necessary for his participation in that race.
Old 27-01-2010, 10:24   #11

Hi Catamount,

Thank you for your comments, they are valid things to ask/say and i should have provided more information before submitting my previous post.

The sponsorship terms i have agreed is to design me a custom website for the adventure not to provide domains and hosting. The basis of $1,000 was a domain name in TLD's i.e .com .org .net and .co.uk on a 2 year reg which is around $100, hosting $100, photo shoot $250 and the rest would pay for the press packs/sponsorship packs to gain greater exposure and potentially gain a major sponsor.

I understand that it is highly risky commiting at such an early stage because getting the financial support needed to start the double circumnavigation is prohibitive so there is no guarantee the project will ever get afloat. I could not ask for any support at these early stages and just wait until i can afford to do it all myself yet i think people may be interested and if they are then things will move a lot quicker.

I will put up a LinkedIn page, facebook etc this evening or in the morning so you can a firm background on myself.

Regards

Jamie
Old 27-01-2010, 11:16   #12

I know you've got your sites set large, but I humbly suggest starting small. A single .com (or .org if there's something about your project that goes beyond just you) domain name can be had for about $10/year, and a hosting account for about $8/month. So you only need about $100 to get the website off the ground. If you can't come up with that, you can build the site on a free hosting platform and then move it to your own domain name once you have the necessary resources. Or start with a free blog, even. As more resources come in, then you can add additional domain names, extend your hosting contract, etc...

And really, it all comes down to content, content, content. What is your story? You need a compelling story if you're going to get anywhere. Sure, a nice photo shoot and press kit are great tools, but if you don't have a good story to go with those pretty pictures, you won't get very far. At least that's my sense of it.

You might read this thread on another forum for some more ideas about seeking sponsorships: Youngest DH Pacific Cup Crew in 2010 - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Old 27-01-2010, 11:38   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I don't understand why anyone else should pay for your deluded attempt at glory. You've got a zero benefit challenge at a nonsense record and you want the rest of us to pay for it. You may have an ego bigger than a barn but don't ask others to feed it or complain when they don't flood your mailbox with checks.

I'm really getting pissed at these overblown attempts at self gratification. Didn't want to use the other term commonly associated with self gratification. Please, just go away.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 11:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroundTheWorld View Post
Hi,

Need some info asap, does anyone know of anyone sailing solo, nonstop around the world TWICE going round eastbound (horn) and westbound????
Sorry but Jon Sanders (Australian) has done three times around non-stop, one going west and two going east. He finsihed march 1988 after taking 419 days.

Previously he had done a double and a single:

1981-82 Double nonstop solo circumnavigation west to east via Southern Ocean.

1970 First solo circumnavigation trip east to west mostly sailing through tropics.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 13:02   #15

I believe it was more like 619 days. But, yes, Jon Sanders' set the bar so high that there is no longer much interest in back to back non-stop circumnavigations. He is credited with:

First single-handed to complete five circumnavigations (two having been completed by Sanders in Perie Banou in 1981-82)
First single-handed to complete three non-stop circumnavigations consecutively.
First single-handed to complete a total of four non-stop circumnavigations (the first in 1981-82)
First single-handed to complete more than one non-stop circumnavigation.
First single-handed to complete five Cape Horn rounding's (one east-west, four west-east).
First single-handed to complete four Cape Horn rounding's during non-stop circumnavigations.
First single-handed to round the five southernmost capes four times.
First single-handed to complete a circumnavigation using the east-west route (i.e. Cape Horn plus two other capes - Leeuwin and Good Hope).
First single-handed to complete four circumnavigations using the west-east route (i.e. Cape Horn plus four other capes - Good Hope, Leeuwin, South East, Tasmanian and Southwest, New Zealand).
First small yacht (less than 15.5m) skipper to complete five circumnavigations, crewed or single-handed
Longest distance ever sailed continuously by any vessel (71,023 nautical miles or 131,535km).
Longest period ever spent alone at sea (657 days 21 hours 18 minutes).
Believed first yachtsman to complete five circumnavigations via Cape Horn (as crewed or single-handed).
First yachtsman to circumnavigate non-stop via the Horn west about and east about.
First yachtsman to complete three consecutive non-stop circumnavigations.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, round the world