Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 12:43   #1

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Smaller low maintenance boats

This is kind of a what am I forgetting thread.
I have a relative looking for a newer boat. They currently have an Ericson 30 but are looking smaller and lower maintenance.
Before the Ericson they had some other classic plastic (Pearson Triton) and a series of trailer sailors going back 5 decades. they are somewhat undecided on a new boat so trying to help out. Right now it's kind of a back and forth between a smaller newer keel boat (nonsuch 26 comes up often) or another trailer sailor.

Right now it seems to be headed more trailer sailor to allow for easier work being done in the winter.
The boat would be on a mooring all summer (Eastern Long Island Sound) mostly used for day sailing with a few overnights and maybe one week trip a year. (the ericsons longest trip in the past 7 years I believe was 5 days).
Needs to sail well the Ericson was a very good sailing boat (Bruce King Design) compared to the earlier boats they had so they don't want to go to far backwards.
Limited bright work and systems would be ideal.
Berths for 4 but mostly to be sailed and slept on by 2. Thou daysailing up to 5 would be very good.
I'm trying to push them newer and better kept to maximize their sailing time.
So the current list I have is
Catalina 250
Precision 23
Com pac 23
Seaward 23
Also should mention budget somewhere south of 20k maybe higher for the right boat with little needed work.
Old 05-07-2017, 13:02   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Smaller low maintenance boats

These are some very different boats, but all about the same size. I have a Seaward 22 and love it for what it does, but it is a pig and doesn't point worth a damn.

Cannot stand the way he Precision is rigged (at least the 23 I sailed).

Think sailing characteristics you want and go from there.

Fair winds.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 14:16   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I haven't been on any of the mentioned 23's, hav been on the catalina 250 and 25. Good room inside and sail decent.
I hav a San Juan 7.7. It's wider by a couple feet, much bigger cockpit, and bigger inside but not layed out as nice. It does sail much better though. Very well balanced and doesn't heel near as much, and a little faster in most conditions.
The trade off is larger beam and deeper draft when towing and launching.
I usually advise people to look at what is common in the area you plan to sail. Then you know it will work with the local winds, ramps, draft, ect. It will most likely be cheaper as well if a few of the same are for sale in the area.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 14:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I haven't been on any of the mentioned 23's, hav been on the catalina 250 and 25. Good room inside and sail decent.
I hav a San Juan 7.7. It's wider by a couple feet, much bigger cockpit, and bigger inside but not layed out as nice. It does sail much better though. Very well balanced and doesn't heel near as much, and a little faster in most conditions.
The trade off is larger beam and deeper draft when towing and launching.
I usually advise people to look at what is common in the area you plan to sail. Then you know it will work with the local winds, ramps, draft, ect. It will most likely be cheaper as well if a few of the same are for sale in the area.
It's kind of a funny thing I have worked in the marine industry since I was 15 so I have always been around the different boats, but when you try to think of one when someone asks you always forget. Of course with how many builders that used to exist back in the 80's it's impossible to remember them all.
I agree the San Juan is a good choice. Here in the sound Catalina's are very popular. For a little older boats Oday's are very common.
I have also suggested some of the Hunters (for the use these are a good bang for your buck) but my relative seems less enthused about their looks.

Trailering will be a twice a year (in and out) affair so not a huge concern.

Throw what ever you have out there.

I have sailed on the Com pac, they are decent sailing boats. I haven't sailed a 23 Precision but I have sailed an 18 and liked it, plus I'm some what fond of Jim Taylors designs, as all round good performing boats.

As for the Seaward never sailed on one, just love the concept and the look.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:51   #5

I have a Com Pac 25 (for sale), and I think you may want to check those out. It is a seasonal trailer boat, but most CP25s don't come with a trailer. More room and accommodations than most (if not all) the 23s you mentioned and much nicer than the Catalina 25 (IMHO). We can fit 5 in the cockpit and can sleep up to 5 (depending on the size). The marine head was a requirement for my wife and the inboard Westerbeke 12HP, is easy on fuel. And with the 2.5' draft, you can go anywhere up to knee deep water without worry. These boats are rare, but worth checking out. especially if you want to do some overnights. And her salty design sets her apart from the crowd.
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:52   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You might add the C&C25mk1 to your list. I owned one and it is an all around excellent boat that meets all your stated criteria. Sails extremely well and fast, but tons of space below for a 25. Outboard powered means a newer engine with easy access. Truly one of the best boats out of the C&C factory.

And they are dirt cheap....under $10k, actually they are usually under $5k in good condition.

We would go with a family of 4 for a week. Later, I single handed very easily. I can't emphasize enough what a pleasure it is to sail that boat...very easy, yet fast and responsive. Safe in big winds too.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 19:33   #7

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
I have a Com Pac 25 (for sale), and I think you may want to check those out. It is a seasonal trailer boat, but most CP25s don't come with a trailer. More room and accommodations than most (if not all) the 23s you mentioned and much nicer than the Catalina 25 (IMHO). We can fit 5 in the cockpit and can sleep up to 5 (depending on the size). The marine head was a requirement for my wife and the inboard Westerbeke 12HP, is easy on fuel. And with the 2.5' draft, you can go anywhere up to knee deep water without worry. These boats are rare, but worth checking out. especially if you want to do some overnights. And her salty design sets her apart from the crowd.
Very cool boat. Where are you located & what are you asking for the boat. Can you post some pics?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 19:41   #8

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I bought a Vagabond 17 for $1,500, had it for 15 years, spent less than 1K on it and sold it for $1,000. Very low maintenance and low cost. If only it had been suitable for crossing the Gulf Stream, cruising the Bahamas and live aboard cruising it would have been the perfect boat, but of course that wasn't the case.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 22:38   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

It's a bit out of left field, but a Corsair F-24mkii wouldn't be a top the top of my list. It would be a little tight inside for four, but when you consider the amount of lounging space on the tramps it has a good bit of living room. Faster than anything else mentioned, easy to sail, and easy to trailor.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:10   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Capri 14.2

Great fun to sail.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:27   #11

I like the Tri idea for myself not sure it's the best for a couple well into AARP membership (note said they had owned trailer sailors for 50 years).

I guess I should add ease of handling onto the list.

I have an Oday Mariner, they have considered getting one of those as it hits many of the requirements but I think they would like to go a little bigger.

The C and C and the Compac seems like good options. I think the trick is going to be finding one in very good and upgraded condition, located somewhere in the North East.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:42   #12

I was thinking it may help to get a list of some past boats they have owned

Pearson Triton
Pearson Ensign
Vivacity twin keel
Clipper 21
Ericson 30
And if I remember correctly a Luders 16,
And several day sailors and trailer sailors I don't remember.

Thanks for all the ideas by the way.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:04   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
I like the Tri idea for myself not sure it's the best for a couple well into AARP membership (note said they had owned trailer sailors for 50 years).

I guess I should add ease of handling onto the list.

I have an Oday Mariner, they have considered getting one of those as it hits many of the requirements but I think they would like to go a little bigger.

The C and C and the Compac seems like good options. I think the trick is going to be finding one in very good and upgraded condition, located somewhere in the North East.
The tri is actually far better for the AARP set. Sure it is faster, but importantly it is far more stable, incredibly so in high winds. When my mother (who is 70ish) wanted a replacement for her San Juan 28 we immediatly started looking for <30' catamarans. Primarily for the stability issues. I really wanted to find a Woods bridgedeck (I think the Eclipse?) but just couldn't find one on the market so started looking at Tri's. Our budget was a bit higher than yours and we settled on the Corsair Sprint 750.

Sure it's a race boat, and a little silly for a 70 year old woman with major physical handicaps (she was in a major car accident and had 8 compound fractures below the hip). But even sailing in open water she can move around well on it, sails it two days a week, and has never fallen down while aboard.

The F24Mkii is pretty similar but a bit older and less expensive with a larger focus on accommodations than the Sprint, which is a daysailor with a cuddy cabin (though they'd say you can sleep 4).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The tri is actually far better for the AARP set. Sure it is faster, but importantly it is far more stable, incredibly so in high winds. When my mother (who is 70ish) wanted a replacement for her San Juan 28 we immediatly started looking for <30' catamarans. Primarily for the stability issues. I really wanted to find a Woods bridgedeck (I think the Eclipse?) but just couldn't find one on the market so started looking at Tri's. Our budget was a bit higher than yours and we settled on the Corsair Sprint 750.

Sure it's a race boat, and a little silly for a 70 year old woman with major physical handicaps (she was in a major car accident and had 8 compound fractures below the hip). But even sailing in open water she can move around well on it, sails it two days a week, and has never fallen down while aboard.

The F24Mkii is pretty similar but a bit older and less expensive with a larger focus on accommodations than the Sprint, which is a daysailor with a cuddy cabin (though they'd say you can sleep 4).
Thanks for the info always admired Tri's but have never sailed one. The only people I know with tri's are a bit go fast crazy.
Old 29-08-2017, 10:00   #15

So as an update they are still on a search for a boat. Looked at a Precision 18 and a quick step 19. They are thinking they want a bit more accommodation space. They have been looking at Catalina's and Odays. Found a nice Catalina 22 wing keel, but they are worried how it will sail as they have had bad experience with the sailing ability of fixed shoal keel boats before (would prefer a center board or a deeper keel). I think the may like a Freedom 21 but Haven't found one in good shape locally yet.

Tags
boat, maintenance