Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 06:28   #1

Boat: Fun&sporty Cat but looking for the one....
Sirius 40 DS

Hi,

Even though I´m more of a multi hull kind of sailor, there is this one boat builder that keeps surprising me, once with the 35 DS and now the 40DS.
Knowing this is a semicustum yacht, I was wondering if there is somebody here that has sailed one?
I know about the price....but with these features come with a cost.
The only thing that I wonder (therefore the question) is the sail/weight ratio because everything else is Spot On

Let me know your thoughts!

aqu4tro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:53   #2

Re: Sirius 40 DS

could be little early for customers references about 40 DS, because it 's a brandnew model, presented at BOOT '15 in Düsseldorf. Sirius is a small yard, craftmanship at its best, just around the corner to me..
The CEO by manoevre:
on deck:
inside:
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 23:48   #3

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I've been in the 35 and they have a hell of a lot of space for their length. The sailing review I read (Sailing Today?) was quite favourable for them as well - not a racehorse, but definitely comfortable and capable.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 14:58   #4

Boat: Fun&sporty Cat but looking for the one....

Hello,

Well I´ve been looking at several boat models for a while.
The Sirius just feels right.
The deck saloon made me never want to go back to the normal going "down closed dark cabin", and it made me look at monohulls a different way.
The midship cabin makes so much sense.
And that engine room/acces/workplace, it´s like the answer to what I´ve wished/envisioned in my future boat .
I was just wondering if the sailing ability of the 40 was upgraded comparing to the 35 witch is said to be OK, but as it has been written here it´s problably too soon to have feedback on this.

A4
aqu4tro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:53   #5

It is a long time nobody has put information on this boat.
Knowing that they build 15 boats a year, there should be around 60 new owners around.

Anybody has sailing ability, performance and capacity in high wind and waves ?

Tks
tobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 18:00   #6

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

All i can say is that this is one of the only boats i looked at in serious contention with where i ended up (a new Amel 50)... ultimately i decided on the amel for a few reasons but in large part the added volume/space. 2 couples sailing around the world, i just felt the 40 wasn't big enough...

but the level of thoughtful design decisions, quality of craftsmanship, etc. are all spot on. Had they had a 50 i may likely have gone with them.
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:41   #7

Boat: Sirius 310DS

However smaller, I own and sail a Sirius 310DS delivered to me new in april 2019.

I have been aboard all variants of Sirius. The difference between 35 and 40 is far bigger than from a 310 to 35. On the 40 you can pass others in gally without feeling them up ;-) It feels a proper ship and I would not manouver that without thrusters. (I have none on my 310).

Since I sailed her home from Germany to Norway I have not been outside Norwegian waters, yet I have 2200nm so far.

Everything is so well thought out and built with passion for details.

The standard selftacker and mainsail will leave you underpowered below 6-7m/s upwind and 9 m/s downwind. I added a code-0 for lightwind sailing.
The boat is heavy and will never plane, it will get me to my destiantion safely, warmly and in comfort.

I did choose the twin 1.35m deep keels. And to my surprise I cannot go longside on many places and quays because the keel is 1.35m deep maybe 30-40cm from the boatside.

Sirius delivers around 20 boats pr year, that is 310`s, 35`s and 40`s combined. So small numbers and very much a yard to customer experience. You get what you want and pay what it costs. It is simple as that. I doubt you will find a Sirius owner in this world that has bad words about his boat or the customer service from Sirius.
BakerHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 23:01   #8

This here is maiden voyage sailing from Germany to Norway, in StoreBælt. Not very deep waters.

https://youtu.be/2rvAIWEFIP4
Old 11-06-2020, 12:12   #9

Tks very much.
Old 15-06-2020, 10:50   #10

Anybody else with a 40 DS, about performance ?
Tks
Old 15-06-2020, 12:04   #11

Boat: Sirius 38DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerHansen View Post
However smaller, I own and sail a Sirius 310DS delivered to me new in april 2019.

I have been aboard all variants of Sirius. The difference between 35 and 40 is far bigger than from a 310 to 35. On the 40 you can pass others in gally without feeling them up ;-) It feels a proper ship and I would not manouver that without thrusters. (I have none on my 310).

Since I sailed her home from Germany to Norway I have not been outside Norwegian waters, yet I have 2200nm so far.

Everything is so well thought out and built with passion for details.

The standard selftacker and mainsail will leave you underpowered below 6-7m/s upwind and 9 m/s downwind. I added a code-0 for lightwind sailing.
The boat is heavy and will never plane, it will get me to my destiantion safely, warmly and in comfort.

I did choose the twin 1.35m deep keels. And to my surprise I cannot go longside on many places and quays because the keel is 1.35m deep maybe 30-40cm from the boatside.

Sirius delivers around 20 boats pr year, that is 310`s, 35`s and 40`s combined. So small numbers and very much a yard to customer experience. You get what you want and pay what it costs. It is simple as that. I doubt you will find a Sirius owner in this world that has bad words about his boat or the customer service from Sirius.

Does the Sirius 310 have a cockpit table?
xiam8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 00:56   #12

Stowaway cockpittable for me. Not practical to have up underway.

On the 310DS you can choose tiller or steeringwheel.

I choose tiller for 3 reasons. Less wasted space in cockpit, feel of steering and cost. In harbour or sometimes on autopilot I tilt tiller straight up.

With a steeringwheel you have the cocpittable in front of wheel, foldable.
Old 24-06-2020, 13:59   #13

Boat: soon a Moody DS 54...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqu4tro View Post
Hello,

A4
I would check also the Moody DS 40 or the bigger brothers
BigNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 14:03   #14

Boat: soon a Moody DS 54...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqu4tro View Post
Hello,

Well I´ve been looking at several boat models for a while.
The Sirius just feels right.
The deck saloon made me never want to go back to the normal going "down closed dark cabin", and it made me look at monohulls a different way.
The midship cabin makes so much sense.
And that engine room/acces/workplace, it´s like the answer to what I´ve wished/envisioned in my future boat .
I was just wondering if the sailing ability of the 40 was upgraded comparing to the 35 witch is said to be OK, but as it has been written here it´s problably too soon to have feedback on this.

A4
You should take a look also to Moody DS models, same philosophy as Sirius, but probably more modern designed
BigNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 08:31   #15

I LOVE their boats.. you can choose twin keels, fin or center board... They maximize every square inch of that boat... Perfect!! Does anyone know what the general pricing would be for the 40DS? I know that it is very configurable, but just a general price?
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote