Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 14:08   #31

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27
Re: Sirius 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerHansen View Post
You can choose to have a steeringwheel inside as option, I choose not to. I have the autopilot (also with direct helm) on navstation as you see on my video. And if I want to sit in sofa I have remote controll.

Look at that shitty weather! We got up to start sailing from Neustadt at 0500 to find 5cm snow in cockpit. Think we cast off at 0700, then sailing 15h as we did first day after delivery? Then 7h sleep and another 27h sail direct up to Fredrikshavn. 2 days to clear out of EU and direct sail to Norway in almost too calm conditions.

Only reason we did stop to sleep was because the wind picked up even more as our first night came. We were comfortable with 2 reefs in main and full selftacker at 60` into 12+ m/s (as seen in video). Then wind started picking up more, and we called it quits and pulled in jib at 17-18 m/s and headed for shelter.

PS. The banging noise is a loose winebootle in fridge, soon to be consumed. I seldom sail sober, but never drunk ;-)

I also kept waiting for those bananas to fall. The conditions in the video do look a little rough. Do you find that the higher aspect of the pilothouse affects performance at all? In his videos, Torsten Schmidt says it's about the same as having a spray roof up there (which doesn't protect you nearly as much.)
NedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 14:17   #32

Thanks for all those replies!

I guess the idea of a wheel in the pilothouse is more just a mental crutch for me; once I see it work I'm sure I'd be happy with the control/wireless. As for the tiller/steering wheel: Watching the of Torsten backing up and maneuvering around using the tiller and prop wash made me feel like if I got one of these with the tiller, I'd probably spend my first day off in a corner of the harbor practicing that. Sober.

Now what I need to do is figure out where I can have a look at one of these without going to Germany...
Old 11-11-2020, 14:45   #33

Boat: Sirius 310DS

Torsten makes it look easy
There isnt much wind in that harbour, you can do anything really.

The boats have more area for the wind to catch on manouvering for sure with the superstructure. A firm dose of throttle can be needed to get pointed correctly.
Sailing? Ofcourse there is a price to be payed on performance as the mainsail is higher above water by 30cm or so, havent measured.... suppose I can, as a surveyour ;-)
If I want to go upwind sailing in light winds (below 5 m/s) the selftacking jib leaves me under powered. So I got a Code-0 for such occations and also downwind sailing :-) Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post

I guess the idea of a wheel in the pilothouse is more just a mental crutch for me; once I see it work I'm sure I'd be happy with the control/wireless. As for the tiller/steering wheel: Watching the of Torsten backing up and maneuvering around using the tiller and prop wash made me feel like if I got one of these with the tiller, I'd probably spend my first day off in a corner of the harbor practicing that. Sober.

Now what I need to do is figure out where I can have a look at one of these without going to Germany...
BakerHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 14:55   #34

I thought the Code O on a second stay was standard... or is that the 35...

It feels like the 35 is the boat, if I can find the 100,000 (along with that trip to Germany)
Old 11-11-2020, 18:05   #35

Quote:
I thought the Code O on a second stay was standard... or is that the 35...

It feels like the 35 is the boat, if I can find the 100,000 (along with that trip to Germany)
The base sail plan is main with self tacking jib. Here is a link to the PDF sales brochure. https://www.sirius-yachts.com/yachts/35ds/#brochure

The last page lays out the standard/base equipment.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 20:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerHansen View Post
True about the lack of feel on hydraulic steering so the inside wheel is basically just in the way, so this is not a common option.

On the 310 the standard is tiller outside with option steeringwheel.
But then the cockpit gets smaller.... I miss having a steeringwheel, but not enough to regret my choise.
On the 35 wheel outside is standard... but that boat is Euro 100k more.
I believe the standard wheel is not the Jeffa canting wheel. Everything including the solid lifelines are all options on the the Sirius, doesn't look that way because everyone ticks that box. The 310DS and 35DS are good value, there is simply nothing with the same accommodations in the 30-35ft range. With the 40DS optioned up you are approaching the prices of a used Amel 55 but the accommodations are still not leap and bounds above the 35ds, same layout just bigger. In a few years when used Amel 50s appear on the market they are going to be about the same price as the 40ds.

Amel 55 700k euros tax paid. If I were spending that money today I would probably get the Amel. Only if cruising remotely though, if in the med or Baltic the Sirius is a no brainer.

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1699613/

Garcia exploration 45 is also the same ballpark price and has pretty good deck Saloon. Not that any of these boats are affordable to most people but you can see how one might cross shop these.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:07   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I believe the standard wheel is not the Jeffa canting wheel. Everything including the solid lifelines are all options on the the Sirius, doesn't look that way because everyone ticks that box. The 310DS and 35DS are good value, there is simply nothing with the same accommodations in the 30-35ft range. With the 40DS optioned up you are approaching the prices of a used Amel 55 but the accommodations are still not leap and bounds above the 35ds, same layout just bigger. In a few years when used Amel 50s appear on the market they are going to be about the same price as the 40ds.

Amel 55 700k euros tax paid. If I were spending that money today I would probably get the Amel. Only if cruising remotely though, if in the med or Baltic the Sirius is a no brainer.

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1699613/

Garcia exploration 45 is also the same ballpark price and has pretty good deck Saloon. Not that any of these boats are affordable to most people but you can see how one might cross shop these.
Lotta good insights there, Yihang. Thanks. I, too, struggled to find 35s on the secondary market. I guess when you buy one, you hang onto it. I think anything bigger than 40 feet is just a lot of boat for me; I'm usually shorthanded or singlehanded, and that's not likely to change. The Sirius solutions for space sell me. I just gotta figure out a way to get out on one.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:37   #38

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:

That is pretty impressive handling, he can helm my boat anytime he wants

Is he using a winch handle as the throttle?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:40   #39

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post

Spinlock offers a winch handle engine throttle that works with Teleflex systems. Pretty common on tiller steered race boats to keep the handle from catching lines.

The key here is that they mounted it high on the coaming allowing you to control the engine without bending. This is a mistake we paid for every time we docked with our lower mount.

Matt
Old 12-11-2020, 14:02   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
That is pretty impressive handling, he can helm my boat anytime he wants

It's an option that I'd go for. When you don't need the auxiliary, you toss the handle into the cubby hole under the winch. (Just don't miss and dump it into the drink.)

I wonder if he had some sort of agreement with the owners of those yachts he comes within 15 cm of scraping.
Old 12-11-2020, 19:55   #41

Boat: Tartan 28

My wife and I are both in love with Sirius yachts. Initially we were dreaming of the 35DS, but the 40 looks perfect for a full time live aboard cruiser. We are currently saving and seeing where we can get to in 4 or 5 years. The 40 might end up being just a bit out of reach. The 35 is doable if we sell the house. We don’t want to go into debt for it.

I do have the pricing sheet on the 35 DS from almost a year ago if anyone wants it. seems to me it looked like around 400k for a really loaded up 35DS (excluding VAT, since we are US). I would be shocked if the extra 5 feet of the 40 would ad another 300k. I was “hoping” maybe another 100k.

There are none in the US to look at. There is one 40 on the west coast of Canada, and a 35 DS up around Toronto I believe, according to Sirius. We may make the trek to the boot düsseldorf show in a year or two.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 20:29   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
My wife and I are both in love with Sirius yachts. Initially we were dreaming of the 35DS, but the 40 looks perfect for a full time live aboard cruiser. We are currently saving and seeing where we can get to in 4 or 5 years. The 40 might end up being just a bit out of reach. The 35 is doable if we sell the house. We don’t want to go into debt for it.

I do have the pricing sheet on the 35 DS from almost a year ago if anyone wants it. seems to me it looked like around 400k for a really loaded up 35DS (excluding VAT, since we are US). I would be shocked if the extra 5 feet of the 40 would ad another 300k. I was “hoping” maybe another 100k.

There are none in the US to look at. There is one 40 on the west coast of Canada, and a 35 DS up around Toronto I believe, according to Sirius. We may make the trek to the boot düsseldorf show in a year or two.

Price increase pretty much inline with displacement on these type of boats. 40DS is about a 60% increase over the 35DS. So you are looking at around 640k for the 40DS. Someone up thread had the 2020 price at around 500 euros add another 50k euros in options and you are looking at 640K US. I think all up 700k is pretty conservative assuming you are having it shipped as well.

700K can you buy a lot of nice boats in the 10 year old range. For a couple the 35ds is a much better deal.

You can charter the 40ds and 35ds in Germany.

https://www.charterzentrum.de/yachtc...=565&jahr=2020
Old 12-11-2020, 21:10   #43

Oops. more like 50% increase in displacement. Anyway, not a small number. Buying these second hand is europe means most of the time the owners want to recoupe their 19% VAT so depending on age might be better to buy new. I remember a second hand 35ds popping up on the sirius site briefly a few years back for about the same as new ex VAT
Old 13-11-2020, 03:34   #44

Boat: Sirius 40 DS, 40 ft

We are sailing our Sirius 40 DS twin keel now for six years in almost all European waters. We are enjoying her sailing qualities in light and strong winds up- and downwind. Yes, she is a bit heavy but rock solid. With 5 Bft and more we prefer the self tacking jib upwind and more. For less Wind the 140 % Genua is our favorite which works with more wind also nice with one reef in the main. It’s very convenient to switch between there’s to sails as we have two forestays. For lighter winds with an angle between 60 and 150 degrees we take out a furling Code Zero with about which brings her up to speed already with 5 knots of wind.
For Downwind runs we have since 2020 a 160 m2 Parasailor in use which gave which us this year a few fabulous sailing days with the Meltemi in the Aegean.
In a nutshell: the boat is very well equipped and sails up to eight knots when making use of the sails we have on board. More details you can find here:
https://sailing-amazing-grace.com/en/ship/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C33329D-25D4-4A55-A7C4-1BAFB8B78E5A.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	226843  
Henning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 03:58   #45

Boat: Sirius 40 DS, 40 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobern View Post
It is a long time nobody has put information on this boat.
Knowing that they build 15 boats a year, there should be around 60 new owners around.

Anybody has sailing ability, performance and capacity in high wind and waves ?

Tks
We have sailed our Sirius 40 DS “Amazing Grace” in the last six years about 20.000 sm. Frankly spoken we were happy that we could avoid stronger than 8 Bft. But up to this we can state that she behaves very well in the waves. No banging and bashing as she has not a flat bow. Also inside you can everywhere hold yourself. You don’t fall around as on some modern designs. Especially the pantry is perfectly designed to cook there in all kind of weathers. You can squeeze yourself in there and always watch what happens outside.
Henning1 is offline   Reply With Quote