Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 14:12   #76

Re: Shower Me Timbers! Boats Up To 50' LOA with Shower Stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Thanks!

For what its worth, if anyone is looking to modify their shower or add one I highly recommend including a rod like how I have it. Obviously it's great for drying out gear or to tie off wet lines or fenders to dry out while underway (laundry too if cruising and it's wet outside). But it has come in handy while showing on the hook in a storm, being able to hang on when its rolly or gusty. Also, it saved a guest while showering from getting thrown around from the worse wake I've ever encountered (on an end tie when it happened, it was so bad other boats on the dock lost cleats!).
On my boat that rod would end up covered by wet weather gear and ropes
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 15:23   #77

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

The Seawind 1160 (pic in earlier post) has a handhold bar across-the-board back, and another under the window. And a bench to sit on.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:14   #78

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Norseman 447. The center cockpit version does, not sure about the aft cockpit version. It comes with a handheld shower head but that can easily be fitted to a mount on the wall to have a "proper" shower. It also has a small seat. Mold and mildew have not been an issue as we wipe the shower down after each use.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 15:14   #79
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Endeavor 42 CC, 1986
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9619.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	166560  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 17:31   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Formosa 41, 1974
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9636.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	166579  
Old 17-03-2018, 18:51   #81
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Newport 41 mk2, 1983
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9638.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	166581  
Old 18-03-2018, 03:26   #82
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Morgan 383, 1982
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9642.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	166591  
Old 23-03-2018, 09:37   #83
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Endeavour 35
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9707.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	166857  
Old 25-03-2018, 04:04   #84

Boat: Tayana 47

With all this discussion about showers, I'd like to add that the showering experience on a boat can be enhanced a lot by having a heater outlet in the shower area itself so that area can be quickly heated to a higher temperature than the rest of the boat. In the tropics it's not a factor, but for the rest of us, while 65F in the boat is very comfortable when you have clothes on, it feels pretty chilly when you're naked and wet. Sitting on a 65 degree bench naked isn't too comfortable either. When the surrounding area is colder than what's comfortable, the tendency is to use the hot water to help warm yourself in addition to using it just to wet and wash and rinse. So, if you have a Espar or Webasto type heater outlet in your shower, if you turn it on 15 minutes before showering and close off the small shower area with the shower curtain or door, you can have the air and bench seat in the shower at 80F before you begin showering, so you'll be much more comfortable and will use less hot water as well.

Another reason to locate a heater outlet in the shower is that it makes a great place to dry wet foulies while off watch so when it's time to put them back on, they are dry and warm rather than damp and cold feeling. I close the shower curtain or door and open the porthole in the shower so the warm, damp air can escape.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 07:08   #85
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
With all this discussion about showers, I'd like to add that the showering experience on a boat can be enhanced a lot by having a heater outlet in the shower area itself so that area can be quickly heated to a higher temperature than the rest of the boat. In the tropics it's not a factor, but for the rest of us, while 65F in the boat is very comfortable when you have clothes on, it feels pretty chilly when you're naked and wet. Sitting on a 65 degree bench naked isn't too comfortable either. When the surrounding area is colder than what's comfortable, the tendency is to use the hot water to help warm yourself in addition to using it just to wet and wash and rinse. So, if you have a Espar or Webasto type heater outlet in your shower, if you turn it on 15 minutes before showering and close off the small shower area with the shower curtain or door, you can have the air and bench seat in the shower at 80F before you begin showering, so you'll be much more comfortable and will use less hot water as well.

Another reason to locate a heater outlet in the shower is that it makes a great place to dry wet foulies while off watch so when it's time to put them back on, they are dry and warm rather than damp and cold feeling. I close the shower curtain or door and open the porthole in the shower so the warm, damp air can escape.
Very good tips!
Thanks for adding them to this discussion.

Good point about heating the head compartment for more than one reason.

Regarding the heater outlet, I completely agree.
When I was sailing around Newfoundland in 2017, in water as cold as 42 degrees, the Webasto heater was occasionally turned on, and the boat had an outlet in the head, where damp or wet weather gear">foul weather gear was hung to dry. This particular boat (J42) had enough room behind the head toilet for the clothing to hang and drip into the bilge or dry in the warm air. Jackets and bibs and PFDs for 5 people were stored there until needed or worn. Very nice set up, and that head compartment was a nice warm place when needed for its primary purpose too.
Old 25-03-2018, 07:14   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Pearson 365 has an excellent separate shower.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:53   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post

Good point about heating the head compartment for more than one reason.
Our Espar heater vent in the head compartment is right behind the toilet. It is so delicious on a chilly day to sit on a toasty toilet seat.
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 20:37   #88

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

What I like about the Catalina 400 shower (in the aft Head) is that the glass door completely separates it from the head. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4026478_20120727140911_2_LARGE.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	167114  
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:54   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post

Indeed!

Almost essential in a cold climate. My boat has this plus a separate wet locker with drain and heater outlet. But when I'm on shore power, I like to put an electric heater in the heads to make it really hot before taking a shower, rather than merely warm as the central heating makes it.

I always had heated floors in the bathrooms of land houses, for the same reason.

Highly recommended.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:58   #90

Boat: Catalina 470

Showers and heads are separated in both the forward and rear head/shower areas on the Catalina 470.

We use the back shower as storage for scuba etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180326_135459.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	167119
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, shower