Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2008, 01:12   #1

Selecting a 37-42 footer...

I have been looking at 37-up to 44 footers recently, mostly older boats because I like the charachter of older things(personal flaw) and thought I would get some additional input.Initially I was inclined to pick up a "fixer upper" and restore the boat, but have changed that a bit more to the worn rather than worn-out craft. I have looked over pretty much everything- Morgan OI's, Tartans, Pearsons, Catalinas, Island Packet, etc etc. My "absolute" criteria so far has been:

displacement to push through waves
thick fiberglass hull, although I have also considered a steel hull
large protected rudder
solid diesel motor, with good spares availability- no use having some trick motor if you cant fix it in the feild.
have considered all rigs, but am leaning towards a ketch rig
as "private" a floorplan as possible given the size of the boat, as I am positive we will have overnight guests. I would really rather have a 37-40 footer that slept 5 comfortably than have a 37-40 footer that sleeps 8-10 on top of each other.

Other things I consider nec but I can modify or add:
  • electrical head
  • hot/cold pressure water, I like the idea of both engine and electrically heated water
  • freshwater shower in at least one head, I would LOVE stall style shower rather than the more typical untis found on boats this size range
  • generator
  • watermaker
  • refrigerator/freezer, because I hate even the thought of hauling ice, managing ice, cleaning up after ice, or pretty much anything else dealing with ice other than putting it in a glass
So far what I have found that appeals to me are:

the Gulfstar 37- Other than the berth layout I really like these boats. nicely built and well-proven.Love the robust rigging construction. The only thing I dont like is the lack of an aft cabin. Im also havent found one Ketch rigged yet, and do not think they were offered as such.

The Irwin 37 center cockpit- great layout, but they just do not feel quite as sturdily built as other I have looked at.

If anyone has any input on boats in this range that I might have overlooked or have the benefits/features of both the Gulfstar and the Irwin, I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
DWalker is offline   Reply With Quote