Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 10:43   #31

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Rut Row...Boy have I STEPPED IN IT & Jumped up&down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
I don't even know what to say. Im just happy to see the boat coming up and going to someone that will fix it up.
As a fellow Owner of a Bill Shaw built vessel (was blessed enough to have lunch w/him once) & worker on more of them over the years than can be counted, restorer of over a dozen, My sincerest and most humble apologies regarding comments proffered here, by ME, about YOU.
I am SORRY.
I have been burned before (thrice) by vessel owners in similar circumstances who refused to release previously agreed to property, or title/document after a fannyload of work (&funds/time) had been expended. As a fellow sailor I understand the loss & depression...once had scuppers get clogged and had a 37'er "sink" at the docks, showing up after being called by dockmaster it was only 5" or so over the sole, but a 2 week cleanup just the same. She was our pride & joy at the 1 & 1 stupid "jumping mullet" was the cause for the clogged scuppers (along w/13" of rain in 5 days...not atypical for summer in FL). Been there, done that, never completely lost 1 to Davey Jones personally owned to date; have crewed & spent 18 hrs in the drink after abandoning a 60'er holed by whale waiting for the coasties to lift us back to the real world...just wasn't "my" boat). I'm married, have kids (now grown) & understand how often vessels get moved down on the priority scale of "life happening".

I am sorry for any unintended negative statements as to Your character, reputation, or potential intentions. I only KNOW what I read & saw, I ASSUMED the rest. I deserve what I get as to Your opinion of my statements, and me. Again I am truly Sorry for all negative statements made here speaking for no one else other than myself.

Knowing it's not much solace to hand the "keys" to someone else, however It might warm your heart just a bit to know that neither John, nor I ever had any intention of "cutting her up" and salvaging for scrap, Your Fine Pearson. We both knew a diamond when we saw it.
I'm again truly sorry for Your loss, and again, feeling like a FOOL regarding previous statements made regarding Your dilemma.
Sincerely,
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 10:47   #32

Boat: Tartan 34C
Boats and Labor

Mick --

That is priceless information. I really appreciate the effort you've put into making this a success. New name: How 'bout "Rising Star"?

So far, I've got a pressure washer and beer. I need 2 or 3 boats (yes, I saw the interior salvage coming!) and some doers. I'm not sure we will be able to dig that hole for the keel - water may be too deep. The plywood/foam idea to hold water back while we tilt her to a float is good. I intend to attach floats to the lower side to assist in the lift/tilt.

How 'bout it, sailors - anyone have a skiff or jonboat we can use? What about a pump or compressor or generator?

Did I mention the beer?

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 10:53   #33

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Mick --

That is priceless information. I really appreciate the effort you've put into making this a success. New name: How 'bout "Rising Star"?
That or "Phoenix"
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 10:57   #34

Mutual benefit

Mick --

I think your caveats on taking possession up front are the voice of experience. That's what these boards are for, and I am already in debt to you for your knowledge.

The current owner is gaining something as well - no DNR fines. He's used up the time DNR was giving him, and I'm doing him a favor as much as he is doing me one.

We will drown our sorrows in enough beer to, well, float a boat. The gods appreciate generosity and I suspect that good fortune will follow each of us having done our best to be our best. If it were not so, I wouldn't bother getting up in the morning.

I DID mention the beer, didn't I?

John
Old 23-07-2009, 11:01   #35

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Dammit Man...it ONLY Gets WORSE...Jeez Loiuse;

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
Im not having any second thoughts on the boat at all. Loosing my home of the last 3 years got to me enough that I'm done with boats. I can't afford to fix it up, or do anything with it right now anyway, hence the reason I'm giving it away.
Now I'm feeling like that mullet flopping around in the cockpit...boy what a MAJOR mess up(on MY PART)

Distant Star (You don't have Your name listed under Your profile), there MIGHT be a-nuther diamond in this, for You; I don't know, I'm willing to offer my services, for gratis IF I CAN Help.

See, we all are "sailors" who love the sea, however we also have other venues that provide our food on the table, bills paid, etc.(most of us anyway). My primary form of employment is a commercial mortgage broker & that means I only get paid a few times a year (now). I've supplimented that of late by helping friends, relatives (yes, family), even NEIGHBORS & referrals with mortgage modifications.

IF (& I know this is COMPLETELY Off Topic here) You haven't MOVED OUT of that house...I might be able to Help You? Batting 100% so far in negotiating w/lenders to keep folks IN THEIR HOUSES, payment's reduced, Principal balance owed reduced by up to 25%, loan term extended....Your payment cut to less than HALF of what it "was/is" and this is even if foreclosure proceedings have already begun. I can't promise I can help You, I CAN PROMISE I'm willing to try. It's nothing to be ashamed of, especially these days. 3 out of 10 people are paying late, 4 out of 10 are behind, 2 out of ten are right where YOU are, nationwide. Nothing's been seen like it in our parents lifetimes. IF You Haven't Moved out and YOU Want to save Your Home, I probably can help.

Either PM me, or call...let's talk, I owe You At LEAST that much,
fair enough?
(again, my services are gratis, won't cost You a dime, or You can pm/email me Your # & I'll call You?)
Sincerely,
-Mick
(352)246-7483 anytime
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 11:05   #36

When are you doing this? Charleston here. I am busy until middle of next week and then gone again over the weekend. Pretty sure you wont be able to use a 4wd to help pull her vertical as there isn't access out there for a vehicle. I suppose a boat could be used. As I said once before to you in a pm. I have an inflatable you can use with a 10hp on it. It isn't inflated at the moment but that is only a matter of an hour so let me know if you need it.
sailcharleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 11:09   #37

Floater

Yeah, Charleston, that inflatable could be a BIG help! It's low to the water, stable, good dive/work platform, etc. Thanks!
Old 23-07-2009, 11:54   #38

Boat: Pearson 36, S.V. Distant Star
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Yea, the boat sinking has been a really bad time for me. Shes only been down for 6 months, but shes going to be a dirty girl.

Im trying to dig up some stuff to help out john in raising her. Ive got a couple of boats to use along with some 55gallon drums, but not much else.
Old 23-07-2009, 14:32   #39

Boat: Beneteau 50
How about pumping some clean seawater INTO the interior of the boat to stir up the mud and get some of it to flow out. Then you have cleaner water to pump out and less issues with failing pumps and clogged strainers.

Also, use a 5hp gas water pump with the tube attachment used to sink pilings into the seabed. Use it to spften up botom around the keel. There may be a suction issue that keeps the keel in place in spite of all the added buoyancy. Again, use the long tube attachment on the water pump to soften the seabed/ground during the rising tide.

Aside: A buddy and I rented a 5hp water pump of that kind for a canoe trip once that was billed as the "mother of all water battles". We reduced the 2" outlet down to 1/2 inch, using brass fittings. With supersoakers as the nearest competitor, we "won" that battle hands down. Those pumps are amazing, lightweight and will "pass 2" ball bearings all day long" one of those would really help.

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 14:41   #40

Hey Feral ,
Some local info for ya, dont know if you had a chance to look at google maps to see the location..
There is a public boat ramp about an 1/8 of a mile away, and Ross marine, which has a lift..
I made a google map with the locations click here

Another local person to call is Salmons Dredging.. I have been involved with a salvage operation in the past that used them, and i can honestly tell you they don't mess around.. they have all the toys from barges and cranes to a mini tug-it's awesome to see them in action.. they are fairly nearby too. Just give them a call and get a quote.. tell them it's right beside Limehouse Landing, in front of wolf island..

Here's some photos of them cleaning up a creek -

I don't know what my week looks like yet.. what day are you thinking ??
wheresthebrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 16:50   #41

Locations

Brakes, all --

Thanks for the map! Mark says he thinks you've been out to or near the boat more recently than he has. Any specific problems to report? I'm thinking of sealing the cockpit hatches and companionway AFTER we stuff as many floats (air mattresses, waterbed mattresses, weather balloons, rubber duckeys, etc.) in there as we can. We'll try to tip her up on the rising tide. If that doesn't work, we'll float her when the tide is near full and pump when she's sitting low in the water. If you have seen anything that is a deal breaker on either of these plans, tell it.

Saturday is THE day. If I can't do it then, I can't do it. I need equipment and people. Many hands make light work, and these are not exactly ideal conditions. Owner says the bottom is muddy with sticks and logs - not good for digging or even blowing/blasting muck out.

And thanks for the directions to the beer store - I'd rather spend my money there to repay those who pitch in with time, effort, and materials.

Hey, this is America - this is do-able.

John
Old 23-07-2009, 19:31   #42

Hey John.. The only problems I see with the plan are :

She's 1/3 to half full of mud/sand now as far as i can tell..you'll need to shovel that out on a low tide to lighten her up..

To seal the hatches you should consider a screwgun, long screws and plywood.. there will be other fiberglass to repair i'm sure.. i'd bring a cordless sawsall or circular saw and a half sheet of plywood/OSB - we tried to seal the hatches with plastic tarps etc. and it was like peeing on a forest fire

I think the boat is slightly closer to the island than it looks in the google map.. bring as much rope as you possibly can and blocks and we might be able to use one of the small liveoaks on the island to pull from.. we surprisingly had pretty good luck with a couple of big anchors and a 4:1 purchase on a big rope..4 people pulling from the marsh and we actually moved her a couple of feet

When she sank the port bulkhead had been partially removed leaving that side of the the chainplate/shroud weakened - mark had tied both halyards off to a stanchion on that side to help support it.. by now the bulkhead on the starboard side has probably been weakened too, so it's tough to say which side is stronger..

the boats pointing towards the railroad trestle that you can see in google maps. leaving the portside facing up ..

That's about all I know about it right now.. I'll go down tomorrow at low tide and take some photos, and snoop around a bit more..

I have a couple of meetings on Sat and I'm helping a friend move in the AM, but I'll come down to the boat in the afternoon.. I'll try to bring a friend with a twin engine fishing boat and 100' of very strong rope..

There is a rental place on John's island, only about 5-6 miles from Limehouse Landing.. Home depot and Walmart are also 5-6 miles in the other direction..
what do you plan to do with it if you can get it to float ??
where in NC are you coming from ?
are you bringing a diver ?

Talk to you soon,
Joey
Old 23-07-2009, 19:52   #43

Challenges

Joey --

I'm coming from Durham, about 4 hours. I might drive down Friday night. I want to be at the boat Sat by 8 which would mean leaving home at 4 a.m. with a very long day in front of me. My diver buddy will be there and everyone is collecting floatables - air mattresses, water beds, beach balls, you name it.

As soon as we can get on board, we'll start by cleaning out the cabin and lazerettes, first junk then mud. If we have time, we'll pump water IN to stir up the sediment, then pump it OUT, water and mud mixed. We'll shovel if we can if we have to. I want to seal the hatches and lazerettes with foam and attach extra floatation on the down side, to lift that side first and keep the water out. BUT assuming up front that it won't work, we'll load the cabin and cockpit with floats and right her when the tide is high.

I NEED FLOATATION! WATER BEDS, AIR MATTRESSES (ANY TYPE, SIZE, MATERIAL), 5 gallon jugs and sealable buckets, whatever

AND

I NEED A BIG PUMP.

Air in, water out. Simple as that.

Thanks for your help!

John
Old 24-07-2009, 07:04   #44

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
I bet you could come up with lots of styrofoam blocks from various appliance/department stores. If your going to seal up the hatches and companionway, it'll suffice in place of air flotation(if yer short that is..)
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 08:29   #45

I went and looked at the boat again this morning at low tide..
the tide was supposed to be -.85Ft at 6am, i got there at 6:45 and I don't think it had begun to move back in..

So here are the photos : before, at one month, and now..
The chainplate i talked about on the port side has ripped free of the fiberglass, the halyards tied to the stanchion are missing and one spreader is broken.. I'm pretty sure someone must have hit it in a powerboat..

I'll look around for some inflatable things or 5gal buckets, i'm probably not going to be much use tomorrow, as i can't be out there until about 4.