Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2023, 08:33   #31

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: Sailboats 40-46': bed size matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
You might want to look at plans for center cockpit sailboats. In the lengths you're looking at, the master cabin should have spacious headroom. The smaller length might have the bed athwartships, but the larger ones should have a bed of about queen size in a conventional layout. An abridged list of candidate boats would be Hallberg Rassy, Hylas, Island Packet, Moody, Nauticat 42 or 43, Oyster, Passport.
I agree here. For comparison, take a look at any good center cockpit boat and you will usually find a large owers cabin aft. You do loose cockpit space but you gain in other areas.
Good luck on your search
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:40   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

The Jeanneau 469 has three queen size berths
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:01   #33

What you’re looking for is an “ owners version “. Most of the big boatyards make two versions of their boats. Charter versions are packed with as many cabins and bunks as possible. Owners versions have a different layout with fewer bigger cabins. So search for owners versions
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:12   #34

Have you looked at the Catalina 42 MKII? They made three + versions but the one you want is the “Queen Centerline” version. Huge master queen sized berth with a small settee on either side. Plenty of space to get in or out. Huge cockpit and really great thoughtful layout below. They made them in a three cabin version and a two cabin version. And Catalina is a highly rated production boat. Check it out. I believe there’s even some for sale on this site and other sites.
Sloopadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:02   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 42 Deck Salon
Wink Re: Sailboats 40-46': bed size matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post
Oh right it makes total sense!!

What would be a cruising couple boat in your opinion?

And thx for the contribution
I lusted after the master cabin of the Jeanneau Deck Salons for years until I finally found a beautiful condition 42DS. King bed with small settees at the foot of the bed. I ditched the old foam mattress and bought a custom innerspring mattress with a hinged foot for easy access to the batteries. Sleeps nice. Spring for fitted sheets if you can, making the bed is a bitch!
Colonel Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:12   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I have been using the Froli springs for almost 20 years on my boats. They really work well in transforming a cheap foam mattress into a much more comfortable sleep. While this doesn't address the bunk size/shape issues in a sub-46-foot monohull, it does help improve sleep quality immensely.

This is from the aft bunk in a Jeanneau 43DS:
Old 03-07-2023, 11:48   #37

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailon46 View Post
Few years back I purchased a 52 Bene from Moorings it was the Cyclades model. O when the boat was phased out of charter I had them remove the partition in the fore peak. They then shaped a beautiful king size bed bigger than any hotel bed. Wife added some foam and still that bed even though I have a Cat 45 leopard now. It still remains the biggest bed I ever slept on
I’m sure those are nice.
Way out of my budget
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:08   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

It sounds like you are looking for 'island berths', berths with access on both sides.

Also, look for 'owner's versions' of the boats you are considering, with fewer but more commodious berths.

Check out the Catalina 42. There are several different sleeping arrangements available in that boat depending on model year.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 14:09   #39

we bought an 83 island trader, one of the main reasons was the queen walkaround rear berth.. there are very few boats out there that had this and it took a while to find and nail down this one...some of the other salon style boats, fit the bill but you will sacrifice something somewhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post
I am looking for a sailboat between 40-46 ft, leaning towards an "ocean RV" like Beneteau, Jeaneau.
What I am surprised with and what I am hoping someone has the answer for, is why are all the beds so small or difficult to access?

These boats are not cheap and they are full of accommodations making them bigger and more practical than a NYC apartment.
In the ocean RV world most boats over 40' are owned by people over 50 years old, including myself. And I am sure we all like a nice bed which is not a cave and where we don't have to roll over our wife/husband to get in/out.

So why do you think builders offer such big salon and so small Master bedroom?

(other than the Deck Salon versions)
buddhadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 14:26   #40

Looked around for this as well. Found the Swedish HR, Najad etc. boats too dark and cramped, center cockpits too small when being outdoors, charter designs to focused on beds and toilets. We dreamed about the French Allures because of its storage and nav/coffee table, the Wauquiez because of its beautiful cockpit and spacious DS, the Dutch Contest because of its large space and superior build quality.
Ended up with a Vision 46 that combines much of it at a more reasonable price. Great head room, large master cabin, one toilet/shower, a storage room, large guest cabin. Will require some rebuild of the cockpit table and indoor nav station, but after that - wow. Easy access to batteries, electricity and engine. We were lucky to find a 1.70 draught version with wing keel.
The Vision 42 has all this too, just slightly smaller. Try to see one live!
AClemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 18:05   #41

This reminds me of a London Boat Show back in the 1980s, when we were looking at the aft cabin of a nice Camper and Nicholson 40-footer. The guy showing us around was one of those snooty Englishmen with whom the falsity of his bonhomie is glaringly obvious. I pointed out that the bunk was too wide for safety at sea but too narrow for sex in port, and was therefore completely useless. His reaction was priceless!
And we didn't buy the boat.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 18:15   #42

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

"The Vision 42 has all this too, just slightly smaller. Try to see one live!"

Couldn't agree more ... what we have !! Great couple's boat but not many used ones on the market.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 18:26   #43

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burch View Post
I pointed out that the bunk was too wide for safety at sea
Yeah, it matters little how many "beds" are in a boat if there isn't any real "pilot/sea/quarter berths" that are actually useable.
Having to use a settee generally means losing sitting space for the table/dinette, and those curved settees are a miserable lot.
In many ways the "Naval Architect" has been replaced by a "Fashionable boat designer".
Old 03-07-2023, 23:41   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

A previous poster mentioned "island berths". I sailed a lagoon 400, 4 berths and 4 heads, charter version for 3.5 years. For me size is less important than access from either side, especially if sleeping with a partner. Not only can you get in or out either side without disturbing the other person, but you can put your head either way without having to do some kind of awkward u-turn getting in or out. Obviously, I'm not a fan of V berths, either. To each their own.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:42   #45

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Look at older Swans.xcar.
Will do. Thx!!
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, boat, sail, sailboat, size