Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2020, 14:53   #1

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'
Re: Rugged High Latitude Boats?

Ventilation is indeed important. Though condensation is not really a problem when you use the convection type heaters. Condensation will only occur on cold surfaces like window frames etc. Extra attention need to be paid to those. I have heat exchangers on my vents, the air that goes out is cooled by the air that comes in. That way you loose a lot less heat and save about 10 to 14% on heating fuel.

I know Nanuq, I met the boat a few years ago. They do about the same stuff that we do with the boat, except that we push a bit harder and further when in the ice. The amount of appendages would be way to much for me, you need to pay constant attention to the things that stick out, they are much more vulnerable, they slow you down and have in my opinion no added benefit.

Drying out could be nice on occasions, but I have never truly needed it. I have sailed about 120.000 miles in the Arctic from which 80.000 with my current boat. That one has a fixed keel with a little over 10' draft. That has never been an issue and it made the boat about 5 ton lighter compared to a centerboard variation, that is something you feel in the sailing capabilities as well as fuel consumption when motoring.

An important one I erroneously left out on my list is sailing upwind capabilities. About 30 to 35% of the distance in the high latitudes is sailing upwind, make sure your boat is good at it.

Tags
boat