Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 14:26   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Rogger 46 Motorsailers - Are They Seaworthy ?

Thanks for that bit of info. Interesting.

SPEICH - Windscreen Wipers
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 15:51   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Rogger 46 Motorsailers - Are They Seaworthy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Raven is not my boat, I was just giving a Yachtworld listing for a Nauticat 52 near me that I knew of. I own Wanderbird, a different Nauticat 52. I believe the round things in the windows of Raven's pilothouse are opening ports. Click on the 52 pics link under my name if you would like to see some pics of Wanderbird. Slightly different layout. Raven has reduced about 50k I believe since listing.
I went ..I looked..I saw.. a very nice boat..I will trade my Douglas 32,1965 convertible Mustang,1971 Bronco, 1941 J-4 Piper Cub coupe and 6 light sport aircraft for a boat like that..any takers?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 05:38   #18

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer
Re: Rogger 46 Motorsailers - Are they Seaworthy ?

The Fisher line appears to have started about where the Banjer line left off. Based on yachtworld Fisher 37 from the 70's, they appear to be all but identical. They have the benefit of another 40 years of engineering development, so I believe they will sail better. I certainly find thier pilothouse windscreen and some other touches more attractive. They do have a reputation as decent sailers.

They are built lighter, part of the engineering improvements, not such a heavy lay-up in the hull. A recent thread on the yahoo group for Fishers discussed common deck leak issues around chain plate and the pretty wood trim on the bulwarks. My surveyor said he had surveyed two Fishers and thought the Banjer was built quite a bit heavier.

I've heard nothing about the Fisher that would put me off them, in fact, if I wanted a larger boat I would be looking at Fisher as one option. But the Banjer 37 suites me fine.

There is a Nauticat FS near me in SF Bay, a beautiful boat.
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 00:50   #19

Re: Rogger 46 Motorsailers - Are they Seaworthy ?

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to provide such good information; it's an innate sailor thing - a natural instinct to provide assistance to those in need! I now have a clearer idea of the sort of boat I need. It's looking like the Banjer and Fisher lines are my ideal boat and I will concentrate my search there. The Banjer may suit better as I prefer a bit of weight; i'm a cruiser and like to take my time. I'm now going to learn about the Banjer hull and take it from there.
Thanks to minaret for the Nauticat lead but they're a bit of a dream boat for me and beyond my budget (I want to spend half the budget on the boat and the other half to run her) so I have never really looked into them much...except when dreamin' of course. fisherking's point about motorsailers neither motoring nor sailing well is pertinent here and it seems that only a few designs can do both adequately. I'm not after a great sailing yacht, or a b-grade power boat with sails just for stability; I just want comfort and a bit of decent sailing ability to keep my sailing hand in.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaworthy