Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 21:26   #31
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Replacing the cockpit with Plywood

Been using Coosa for more than a decade, it's hardly new. I can't believe anyone would even consider MDF. Especially someone who mocks Coosa because it's "cold" (even though it'll be painted).

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 23:27   #32

Boat: PETERSON 44
Where was MDF suggested! I missed that
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 02:30   #33
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I used concrete form plywood on a boat that lasted for over a decade and was still sound. It also comes in many grades, but the stuff that the rental companies use on their handset forms is really good stuff. No voids, very water resistant. Theres one brand called plasticote that has a waterproof exterior and lasts and lasts. Look for large jobs that are nearing top out. They often throw out all the form plywood. Hell on sawblades but savings can be huge.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 06:42   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Been using Coosa for more than a decade, it's hardly new. I can't believe anyone would even consider MDF. Especially someone who mocks Coosa because it's "cold" (even though it'll be painted).
I guess it comes down to how long you think 10 years is. To an 16 year old boy, a 26 year old girl is old. To a 46 year old man...young..
My HR has an all wood interior. It's very warm. But I'm sure if done correctly a painted surface is pleasing too. I see a sheet of Coosa, 3/4" is over $300.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 06:46   #35
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I guess it comes down to how long you think 10 years is. To an 16 year old boy, a 26 year old girl is old. To a 46 year old man...young..
My HR has an all wood interior. It's very warm. But I'm sure if done correctly a painted surface is pleasing too. I see a sheet of Coosa, 3/4" is over $300.

There are many different grades of Coosa, from cheap to expensive, just like ply (except it never rots). Try pricing a full 3/4" sheet of Bruynzeel.

Are you saying the interior of your boat is finished in bare non veneered ply? Yuck...

If not, you know Coosa veneers up real nice, right?

Old 20-10-2013, 06:55   #36

My interior is Honduran Mahogany and teak. I think a sheet of Hondo is around $100 last I checked. I'm sure my ply will rot some day but long after I'm gone. I suppose an all painted white interior is attractive to a lot of people. Look how many people have Hunters. To me, it's like sitting in a bathtub in a hospital room. To each his own. It's a matter of what does it for you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-10-2013, 07:13   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My interior is Honduran Mahogany and teak. I think a sheet of Hondo is around $100 last I checked. I'm sure my ply will rot some day but long after I'm gone. I suppose an all painted white interior is attractive to a lot of people. Look how many people have Hunters. To me, it's like sitting in a bathtub in a hospital room. To each his own. It's a matter of what does it for you.
OK, I'll ask again. Veneer or no veneer? I seriously doubt your interior is bare ply. That would look hideous. Veneer is standard on yacht interiors. And Coosa can be veneered just like ply.

I get that you guys want to bad mouth a material you've never used because you went a different route and don't want to feel like an idiot. You amateurs can argue with the pro all you want-the fact is Coosa costs about the same as marine grade, is stronger, weighs less, never ever rots, takes a finish or veneer equally well, has less environmental repercussions, and is all in all a superior product for the job in question. You can claim you don't like it because its not "warm", but we all know its the veneer that provides the appearance of a warm wood finish on the vast majority of boats. Which leaves me wondering the real reason you are so vehemently opposed to it. Could it be just because I recommended it?

Old 20-10-2013, 07:19   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These are the only ply panels I'll use for boat building. Very expensive and a dwindling resource.

Bruynzeel Marine Plywood is the Perfect for Boat Builders

Old 20-10-2013, 07:20   #39

Boat: Orca 38

Wow, not much room for discussion there!
Old 20-10-2013, 07:36   #40

Quote:
OK, I'll ask again. Veneer or no veneer? I seriously doubt your interior is bare ply. That would look hideous. Veneer is standard on yacht interiors. And Coosa can be veneered just like ply.

I get that you guys want to bad mouth a material you've never used because you went a different route and don't want to feel like an idiot. You amateurs can argue with the pro all you want-the fact is Coosa costs about the same as marine grade, is stronger, weighs less, never ever rots, takes a finish or veneer equally well, has less environmental repercussions, and is all in all a superior product for the job in question. You can claim you don't like it because its not "warm", but we all know its the veneer that provides the appearance of a warm wood finish on the vast majority of boats. Which leaves me wondering the real reason you are so vehemently opposed to it. Could it be just because I recommended it?
Guy!...Chill...no one is bad mouthing Coosa or opposed to it. I was commenting about a painted surface. I like my wood interior...ok? You like painted walls...great! No one argues that you are a "pro". You do boats for a living. Use Coosa. Build a house with it...I don't care. You seem to have this aggressive attitude of "my way or the highway". There are a lot of ways of doing your own thing when it comes to boats. As far as "less environmental repercussions", try again. Wood is a renewable source. Fossile fuels pollute. It was a nice try though.
Old 20-10-2013, 08:09   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Guy!...Chill...no one is bad mouthing Coosa or opposed to it. I was commenting about a painted surface. I like my wood interior...ok? You like painted walls...great! No one argues that you are a "pro". You do boats for a living. Use Coosa. Build a house with it...I don't care. You seem to have this aggressive attitude of "my way or the highway". There are a lot of ways of doing your own thing when it comes to boats. As far as "less environmental repercussions", try again. Wood is a renewable source. Fossile fuels pollute. It was a nice try though.

No, I don't like painted walls. You are the only one who suggested that. I too like veneer, I just like to put it on a material which won't fail. I'm entertained by your refusal to state the obvious. It's definitely not "my way or the highway", but I do get annoyed when I see people who have no idea what they're talking about trying to hold forth as if they do. When you have something to say which has value, I'll be right there learning from it. Haven't seen it yet though...

Old 20-10-2013, 08:51   #42

Quote:
Who said what?
Quote:
No, I don't like painted walls. You are the only one who suggested that. I too like veneer, I just like to put it on a material which won't fail. I'm entertained by your refusal to state the obvious. It's definitely not "my way or the highway", but I do get annoyed when I see people who have no idea what they're talking about trying to hold forth as if they do. When you have something to say which has value, I'll be right there learning from it. Haven't seen it yet though...
Yes but back to what the op was asking...You are absolutely right. Coosa is the only way to go. We are all idiots, amateurs and gosh darn it...just silly using ply. Time we all buck up, tear out all the ply in our boats and use Coosa. After all...do we want to be right or happy.
Old 20-10-2013, 09:31   #43
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I can agree with everybody Or disagree with everybody There have been many times I would build things of anything i had on hand or could afford at the time just so I could go sailing with a little more comfort. There are other times Ive taken all the stops out and bought the very best money could afford. If you have a five year cruise plan do you need material that will last a lifetime? or is it being attached to stuff that wont see another 10 years of service. In my sewing trade I try to match the material quality to the thread quality etc... I wont use lifetime thread on fabric with a 3 yr warranty and I wont use anything but lifetime thread on top line work with topline materials.Whatever coring material is chosen I doubt it will be something like particle board or styrofoam sheets like Ive seen many builders use. Just make sure you laminate enough continuous mat layup and treat the fasteners going into properly like they should be when penetrating coring and it will outlast your needs.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I can agree with everybody Or disagree with everybody There have been many times I would build things of anything i had on hand or could afford at the time just so I could go sailing with a little more comfort. There are other times Ive taken all the stops out and bought the very best money could afford. If you have a five year cruise plan do you need material that will last a lifetime? or is it being attached to stuff that wont see another 10 years of service. In my sewing trade I try to match the material quality to the thread quality etc... I wont use lifetime thread on fabric with a 3 yr warranty and I wont use anything but lifetime thread on top line work with topline materials.Whatever coring material is chosen I doubt it will be something like particle board or styrofoam sheets like Ive seen many builders use. Just make sure you laminate enough continuous mat layup and treat the fasteners going into properly like they should be when penetrating coring and it will outlast your needs.
You make great rational sense. If I can add to this, I can also tell you that some people just want to get out there and do it. I am a supporter of this, done safely. I wanted to be gone this year and had to prioritize items to make it happen. I dropped a ton of cash (for me) into my little ship. She needs a lot more. The new set of Hood sails and water maker will wait until next year after I shake the money tree some more. I do the best job I am able to do. So far, nothing major has broken on my boat down the coast. A few of my changes had to be slightly modified to accommodate unforseen interferences. Like the windvane being clear of my Wifi antenna. My big goat is dental work in Mananaland. That will eat up some serious cash. Such is life.
Old 20-10-2013, 12:38   #45

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I was sold a lot of "marine ply" and rebuilt my cockpit, sole and all. Within 5 years it started to delaminate and rot. It was philippine mahogany ply.

Use the best materials you can find and afford coat them well. You don't want to keep rebuilding over and over and you'll save money and time in the long run.
This statement attracted a lot of criticism of my boatbuilding and construction efforts.

The point I was trying to make by using the quotes around marine ply was that it was not marine ply and it was interior grade and inferior to the task as well. It was susceptible to moisture and delaminated quickly (5 years to me is quick). I chose it because it was a bargain and had I looked more closely and known what I was looking at I would not have bought it. This was 25 years ago and I just didn't know any better. I'm trying to pass on some experiences so someone new does not make the same mistake. You do not want to have to rebuild something you've already done. Trust me on that.

I will continue to say that the original poster should use the best materials and not go for the bargains and coat them well with quality covering.

Tags
cockpit, plywood