Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 19:59   #16

Boat: CT-41
Re: Pros & Cons - CT41 Formosa

Thanks guys, Tonight is my first night on board SV Mystique, dog curled up on the settee. I expect about $10K investment in electronics, tender, and the unexpected along with a couple months work before being cruise ready. The boat spent last 25 years in fresh water, has been well maintained, rebuild Volvo 75hp that has never left the dock, little hammer over the entire teak deck showed no signs of sponginess, but a few very minor split planks and a few screws missing. A couple cleat mounts need to be redone and other similar TLC, but nothing I am afraid of. In touch with Zeehag and will not hesitate to ask you folks questions. Hope to meet you on the water some day.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 14:21   #17

Now been a month since purchasing my CT-41. Me and Aleutia are living aboard, he has adjusted to being a boat dog well, but doesn't yet realize it is a "vehicle". Sure he (and I) will like it much better when we set sail. Spent first month tearing out old disconnected wiring, hoses, replacing wrong fuel lines, finishing a couple cabin projects left undone and getting the cabin comfortable to live in while tracing out all systems under the sole.

Most of the stuff that needs repair or replacement is add on stuff by previous owner or their helpers who used Home Depot garbage, but there is not a lot. Most of the original equipment from 1975, including copper fuel lines, rare Force 10 diesel hot water system, and electrical is just fine. The Chinese guys who built the boat were MUCH better craftsmen than those who "upgraded" and maintained it. Found some rot that needs attention, but not much and nothing scary.

Now that I am beginning to know something about these boats, I can afford to have an opinion. These are fine, well built, seaworthy, craftsman built boats. The woodwork is excellent, fiberglass very well done and strong, layout well thought out. If you are a craftsman, love working with your hands and taking time to do a nice job, they are an excellent deal. If you are not a craftsman, buy an all plastic boat or one with Formica and melamine that pretends to look like wood.

VERY HAPPY with my new boat and look forward to getting out in the ocean with you folks.
Old 26-02-2013, 14:33   #18
cruiser

My friend has had one for ten years. The deck needed to be totally replaced including the wood underneath due to rot. He also wants to sell it because he's tired of it being so slow.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:53   #19

Boat: Whitby 42 Ketch

My wife and I crewed on one in South East Asia for a month or so in 2011. Poor ventilation below and seriously hot below decks in the tropics. She cruised OK though. We'd heard of the rot problem in the decks of these but the owner said his was a newer version with full glass decks. We never saw any issues anyway.
Cheers
Old 27-02-2013, 09:15   #20

Totally aware of the rotten deck problem common on these boats, also rotten masts, rotten bulkheads and stringers below deck, etc. etc. IMHO, that is the first thing to check out before considering getting one of these boats, and is it ALWAYS caused by poor maintenance. These are WOODEN boats with fiberglass hulls, they are NOT fiberglass boats. Wooden boats ALWAYS need consistent maintenance. As I said; if you are not a craftsman, don't consider one of these, or ANY wooden boat for that matter. IF you ARE a craftsman, you will know how to crawl all over the boat with an awl and small hammer to check out what you are getting into before buying one. I got lucky and found one without rotten decks and minimal rot in places that won't require major tear out.

As a craftsman/sailor preparing for voyaging, I have no problem inspecting and repairing every wire, pipe, wood, rigging, and canvas before setting off into the ocean, including pulling down the masts and replacing or re-bedding all through-hulls. I want to totally know every inch of my boat to be competent to deal with anything that comes up. I should add, if you are a "checkbook sailor" don't consider one of these boats unless you want to give a good craftsman a job.

As for ventilation, I suspect that is partially a matter of how you set things up. I see no reason one could not get adequate cross ventilation with fans or cooling with a small AC unit, easily powered with solar panels in tropical sun... at least equal to most any other boat. Will deal with that when it comes up.

As for not being fast, COOL! I have had it with our anxiety ridden, fast paced, rush-to-your-death lifestyle. If you want a fast boat, get a bullet shaped jet boat, or a fancy stripped down race boat, but DO NOT get a CT-Formosa-Island Trader, etc. These boats were designed for comfortable long-term live aboard while sailing the oceans, NOT racing from the marina on weekends.

If I had an extra $100-200K to spend on a boat, I would probably get something a lot fancier, but would also probably have spent the past 40 years working my ass off instead of traveling the world living off my art. By the time I am ready to cruise, I will have come in under $50K for a totally outfitted, seaworthy boat capable of getting anywhere the $200K boat does, but a few days later without the trophy.

@Alcheringa, Nyuntu palya, tjilpi. Makalari!
(An Australian Aboriginal phrase for " Good on ya, mate!")
Old 27-02-2013, 09:29   #21

Boat: OEM, proportional

Thanks for the inspiration. All the best to you and yours aboard your fine ship!
Old 27-02-2013, 12:37   #22

Boat: Whitby 42 Ketch

Sounds like you've got a good plan Vino. The one we crewed was a pleasure to sail. We couldn’t believe how well it went with just Genoa and Mizzen up. Handled a storm we found ourselves in nicely too. Some 12v fans would have improved the airflow below but unfortunately our crew cabin didn’t rate those on this one. Simple fix though. Enjoy yours

Cheers
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51   #23

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Been off the grid for a few days, Vino, but one thing that failed on an older CT 41 at the worst possible time was the steering cable under the cockpit sole accessed behind the companionway stairs. I would check and replace before setting out on an extended cruise if I were you. Much easier to replace at the dock than on your back with a 20 foot sea running. Having a replacement piece of cable is not a bad idea either... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The decks mite leak a little, and they might be a litle slower then the New stuff out there ! BUT Ive seen em all over the Pacific, the Carribe, Mexico, hell Ive seem em amost every where Connie and I have been over the years !! and they got there on there own bottoms, most with a couple like us aboard ! No big crews, just sailin folks !! If ya can keep up with em on your own, ya would have to look hard to find a better cruiseing boat for the prices folks want for them !! good buy for the buck if there not junk ! just my 2 cents
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57   #25

Capt Phil, thanks for the tip. I will check that out thoroughly when I pull her out of the water and remove the masts in a couple weeks.

bobconnie, Thanks for your observation and I agree, which is why I chose the CT-41. Seaworthy design and construction, maintainable for any competent craftsman, easy to single hand or short hand, comfortable and charming cabin with plenty of space, and most boat for the dollar (if you know how to identify problems with the particular boat), also very pretty and we all like pretty with function.

Within the next few months, SV Mystique out of Portland, OR will be joining those boats you have seen all over with a stem to stern refit, all for under $50K. Goal is to sail the Baha Haha this October.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52   #26

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
Thx for the good advice!
Old 22-04-2013, 20:40   #27

Hi Folks,

Haven't been here for a while. Been working on the boat. Now that I am three months into getting her ready to sail, I can offer a much better opinion.

Pros =
Damn well designed boat, thanks Bill Garden. If you are still alive and find this post, I will be honored to buy you a beer.

Damn well built boat. Don't know if they all were, but to Mr. Chen Chiao Tsan of Taipei Hsien, Taiwan; I am a damn good carpenter, but YOU are a master. Would love to buy you a beer to drink with Mr. Bill Garden.

Cons=
To all the American marine mechanical people and electrical people who added, altered, and "repaired" stuff on this boat - go back to school and/or develop the pride in craftsmanship that Chen Chiao Tsan had. I just spent three months hard work fixing your shoddy work while his has stood the test of time.

To you who call all CT & Formosa boats "leaky teakys" that is a prejudice based on stereotype. Many are and I have seen them, usually from poor maintenance.

Conslusion; Many of these boats are fine seaworthy vessels that will sail wherever you are competent to skipper them and aesthetic live aboards with all the charm of a hand built cabin. I would not trade mine for a Beneteau.